PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on engine storage...

1siksrt
11-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Ok so my dad bought a 460 engine and trans for the galaxy i gave him a few years back.

the engine is in his driveway on an engine stand, exhaust holes are all plugged with socks and tape, We put a tarp on it and wrapped it tight and bungy corded the bottom tight so nothing can get in.

Just worried about it getting all rusty cause the engine is ready to be dropped in...

what do you guys think?

thanks ricky

Max 93
11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
first step would be to get it out of the driveway and into the garage

indyzmike
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
I would make sure to get it inside somewhere. If not, I would not seal it in plastic. Cover the top but leave an opening at the bottom. Did you pull the plugs and put oil in each cylinder? Then turn it over?

SSDude
11-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Leaving it outside will get you rust. No matter how good you have it wrapped.
Indoor storage FTW:thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
Socks attract moisture. Oil the jugs and seal the exhaust ports with duct tape, seal the intake side and get it inside.

Cjburn
11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Fill it up completely with brand new, fresh oil, to the ******* top!

Russ Jerome
11-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Heavy oil douced everywhere on an assembled motor, wrapped with a plastic bag it will keep moisture out. I grease every inch of un assembled part and wrap it with plastic.

Dont waste your time spraying WD40, stuff evaporates in days and will be useless. Tapeing thos ports shut wont keep moisture out you need a heavy lube on the machined surface. Chain lube, overhead door lube or simple motor oil and lots of it. Pull the plugs, squirt it in the bores and bar it over a few times, reinstall the plugs and spray lube down the intake plenum.