PDA

View Full Version : help me pick parts for my race engine

easytoremember
11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Time to start my project. I put my TA in storage and it's time to start buying parts. I am building a 1,000hp TT 6.0L setup for my 99 TA.

I'll be buying a wrecked Yukon as soon as one comes up at auction and taking that block, probably the trans too.

But where I need help is pikcing the engine parts like rods, pistsons, end caps, bearings etc etc. All you high HP guys, can you lead me in the right direction. I hear some people say to go with stock pistons, others say cast aluminum, some say H beams some say I beams etc.

help??

Irish
11-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Call Summit.

70 cutlass 442
11-15-2008, 08:37 PM
www.theturboforums.com

unlimited supply of info

easytoremember
11-15-2008, 08:40 PM
I already got my account with summit from when I raced my GP. Summit Rocks

Breecher_7
11-15-2008, 08:44 PM
Stock pistons?????? 1000hp? Your not serious are you?

Forged Pistons, H-Beam Rods, Forged Crank....... Eagle Specialty Products, Part Number B12822.

I can get you better pricing if that interests you.

Thats for 408ci forced induction applications, 1500hp capable, and is a complete balanced kit that comes with rings and bearings.

Give us some more details on what you want exactly, displacement wise.....

pOrk
11-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Nawwwwwwwwwwsss

Smokey1226
11-15-2008, 10:41 PM
screw eagle for that build, go Callies Crank, Custom Diamond Pistons, Oliver Billet Rods
Briodx Heads. Do it right the first time, and that setup will allow you to go as far as your block will let you. Which being a stock yukon block.....i dont really think 1k+ is going to happen for long. Order a Bowtie block and never have to worry!

Honestly, if you really believe a stock piston can handle 1k plus you need to really look at what you're getting yourself into with this project.

A stock Yukon SUV trans??? You really think that will hold 1k? wtf mate?

Sprayaway Fox
11-16-2008, 02:49 AM
Stock pistons?????? 1000hp? Your not serious are you?

Forged Pistons, H-Beam Rods, Forged Crank....... Eagle Specialty Products, Part Number B12822.

I can get you better pricing if that interests you.

Thats for 408ci forced induction applications, 1500hp capable, and is a complete balanced kit that comes with rings and bearings.

Give us some more details on what you want exactly, displacement wise.....

x2
Definitley forged pistons like a ROSS or JE/SRP with file fit rings. Rod wise with a 1000 hp would definitely at least want a H beam with the most dollar value you can throw at it or a oliver/howards etc. Prolly a 4340 or Dragonslayer or Sledgehammer crank for something to stay durable. But there is gonna be someone whos prolly gonna say "casty mcnasty all of it and call it good":loser..... Doesnt billet aluminum rods stretch after a while though? So you would have more teardown time? Just asking on that one.

Breecher_7
11-16-2008, 07:59 AM
screw eagle for that build, go Callies Crank, Custom Diamond Pistons, Oliver Billet Rods
Briodx Heads. Do it right the first time, and that setup will allow you to go as far as your block will let you. Which being a stock yukon block.....i dont really think 1k+ is going to happen for long. Order a Bowtie block and never have to worry!

Honestly, if you really believe a stock piston can handle 1k plus you need to really look at what you're getting yourself into with this project.

A stock Yukon SUV trans??? You really think that will hold 1k? wtf mate?

Callies crank huh? If he is going to spend that much on a crank he better not be using a stock iron block cause that would be pointless. That factory block is going to give up before that eagle crank does. Plus you dont need "oliver rods or custom diamond pistons" to make 1000hp reliably, thats just a waste of money. Might as well just go out and buy a Warhawk or LSX block right away to

There is nothing wrong with eagles products. They are priced well and are VERY durable nor is there any information saying that they are better or worse then callies products. I know ALOT of engines running around with them making alot of power and not having any issues whatsoever.

Save the million dollar build for yourself, Its easy to spend other peoples money.

Hey, im not attacking you here either, just making a point so dont get your panties ruffled.

GTSLOW
11-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Call speed inc. You've got to much to learn for a build like that.

Smokey1226
11-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Callies crank huh? If he is going to spend that much on a crank he better not be using a stock iron block cause that would be pointless. That factory block is going to give up before that eagle crank does. Plus you dont need "oliver rods or custom diamond pistons" to make 1000hp reliably, thats just a waste of money. Might as well just go out and buy a Warhawk or LSX block right away to

There is nothing wrong with eagles products. They are priced well and are VERY durable nor is there any information saying that they are better or worse then callies products. I know ALOT of engines running around with them making alot of power and not having any issues whatsoever.

Save the million dollar build for yourself, Its easy to spend other peoples money.

Hey, im not attacking you here either, just making a point so dont get your panties ruffled.

Im not saying your wrong, as ive got a full forged eagle kit coming for my build as we speak.

But ive also seen TONS of guys want to go for 1k and where does that lead too?? Also more and more and more. Slowly seeing how far the car can go.

I understand eagle stuff is good but i just dont trust Eagle name when you go past the 1k mark. And i did say to just go and buy a bowtie block and be done with it.

Anytime you go for 1k+ hp, parts are going to be stressed. I dont care how good your builder is or tuner. After awhile that is a lot of power to make on stock blocks/decent Rods/Pistons.
So my point was to, depending on how serious he is about making that amount of power as well as what he will be doign with the car....to just do it right the first time spend the extra money and have a fully bullet proof ride.

wrath
11-16-2008, 08:30 AM
There are a ton of people with gofast trucks running 1,000 hp on a LQ9 bottom end. There are a metric shit ton of people running 1,000 hp on a LQ9 bottom end with forged H-beams.

I'd probably follow other people's lead since it seems to work. ARP it, buy new H-beam rods and good forged pistons, some decent factory heads, buy good springs/pushrods, pick a worthy cam, and run it. If you don't overspin it then it'll probably last well past your boredom with the vehicle.

Windsors 03 Cobra
11-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Head to a reputable engine shop like AER, C&S or Kilpatricks, then when you need something like help, break something or just want to upgrade they know all about what you have and want. The amount of money given to a local shoppe is small beans compared to what you will have wrapped up in engine and auto parts.

If you are looking for a 4L80E it would probably better to get a 2wd Vs. most yukons 4wd style.

I would have thought the chevy wonder motor did 1k with toothpicks and cardboard internals from some of the talk I hear about them. :rolf