PDA

View Full Version : Gaston Glock vs. John Moses Browning

STANMAN
11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
Not their overall portfolio's mind you, that would go to Browning in a landslide, but how about each of their handgun masterpieces......and for the record, I am speaking about the 1911, not the Hi-power (that I have always hated BTW). Discuss.

MurphysLaw88GT
11-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Not their overall portfolio's mind you, that would go to Browning in a landslide, but how about each of their handgun masterpieces......and for the record, I am speaking about the 1911, not the Hi-power (that I have always hated BTW). Discuss.

I like the way you think...

I don't think the GP35 is that bad.

STANMAN
11-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I have owned several "real" hi powers, and even more of their clones:rolf, and never liked them. They get alot more likable after you pull the mag disconnect out of them and can get a decent trigger pull, but even then I am not that fond of them. Give me a 1911 any day over a hi power:thumbsup

HITMAN
11-11-2008, 01:50 AM
The Browning 1911 is probably the finest auto-loading pistol ever designed. It has beautiful lines and it just feels "right" in your hand.

I find it rather funny that you use the word Masterpiece when refering to a Grock...:rolf
The Grock is an ugly tool. And it isn't a very good one, either. Worst feeling trigger, ever. But I guess what can you expect from some douche with a Frenchy first name like "Gaston"? :loser

The XD is a far superior piece, especially the new XDM.

Rocket Power
11-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Oooo another tough one.
If I was going to need it to work all the time to save my life and be subject to abuse .. Glock
If I was using it for fun/competition... 1911

That_Guy
11-11-2008, 10:59 AM
i like the 1911

MurphysLaw88GT
11-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I prefer the 1911. But that is not to say that the Glocks are not tough as nails, reliable as all get out. Both well proven designs. I just prefer the 1911. As mentioned above, feels good, built well, and after all these years still great.

STANMAN
11-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I guess I am with most here. If I had to put my life on the line, put a Glock in my hand. I have never had a Glock jam on me. Ever. And I have shot ALOT of Glocks in all calibers and sizes, never had a failure of any kind. That being said, there is nothing that feels better in the hand (we are talking firearms only here:rolf) than a 1911. Slim grip with an angle that seems to be perfect, they are so natural pointing it's almost like when Browning designed it there was divine intervention. BUT, I have shot numerous 1911's that jam, granted if you throw a Wilson Combat mag into any 1911 and it's failure rate drops dramatically, there's still a chance of ANY 1911 jamming. Hell, I have shot brand new Colt Gold Cups that jam right out of the box, and they were "THE STANDARD" for lots of years. I have even had fully tuned race 1911's jam on me (this was due to weird shot angles that led to limp wristing more than likely, but I have run the same courses with a Glock and never had any issue)!!!!

And yes Hitman, the Glock is a masterpiece, make no mistake about it. They aren't pretty or anything else like a 1911, but they are what they are!!

MurphysLaw88GT
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
I guess I am with most here. If I had to put my life on the line, put a Glock in my hand. I have never had a Glock jam on me. Ever. And I have shot ALOT of Glocks in all calibers and sizes, never had a failure of any kind. That being said, there is nothing that feels better in the hand (we are talking firearms only here:rolf) than a 1911. Slim grip with an angle that seems to be perfect, they are so natural pointing it's almost like when Browning designed it there was divine intervention. BUT, I have shot numerous 1911's that jam, granted if you throw a Wilson Combat mag into any 1911 and it's failure rate drops dramatically, there's still a chance of ANY 1911 jamming. Hell, I have shot brand new Colt Gold Cups that jam right out of the box, and they were "THE STANDARD" for lots of years. I have even had fully tuned race 1911's jam on me (this was due to weird shot angles that led to limp wristing more than likely, but I have run the same courses with a Glock and never had any issue)!!!!

And yes Hitman, the Glock is a masterpiece, make no mistake about it. They aren't pretty or anything else like a 1911, but they are what they are!!

I was under the impression that this was one of the biggest reasons for jamming the 1911, but I will admit that I have not had a whole ton of experience with them. I just love to shoot them.

HITMAN
11-11-2008, 09:39 PM
And yes Hitman, the Glock is a masterpiece, make no mistake about it.

Some would call this thing a masterpiece, as well. I do not concur...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/51/The_calling_mark_di_suvero_milwaukee_wisconsin_scu lpture.jpg/399px-The_calling_mark_di_suvero_milwaukee_wisconsin_scu lpture.jpg