PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada....

GinoRin
11-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Does anyone have experience shipping stuff to Canada? I am working a deal with a guy, and I have a box to ship to him that 48x24x16 and weighs 50lbs. Needs $800 of insurance. All the shipping quotes I have are over $100. I have tries DHL, Fedex, UPS, and USPS. Is there anyone else out there who has better rates? No hurry on getting it there, just trying to doi regular UPS ground shipping or something similar.

Car Guy
11-10-2008, 03:17 PM
*shivers*

GinoRin
11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
seriously does it suck that bad?

Flicktitty
11-10-2008, 08:54 PM
me and liz shipped her ECU to Canda, just walk into a UPS type place (thats where we went) filled out some papers and dropped it off. easy.

GTSLOW
11-10-2008, 09:55 PM
me and liz shipped her ECU to Canda, just walk into a UPS type place (thats where we went) filled out some papers and dropped it off. easy.

Canadian tune ftw?

Flicktitty
11-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Canadian tune ftw?

overnight parts from canada.

Brian98GTP
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Gino,
I sent a pair of GTP headers to Canada in a box that was probably about the same size, maybe half the weight, but about the same insurance. I just went to the local post office (USPS) and shipped them that way. The cost was around $80 if I remember right, so with your added weight, $100 seems about right.... and you probably won't find anything much cheaper.

The only bad thing that came with shipping the headers to Canada, was they sat in customs for about 3 weeks. That usually isn't typical, they just lost track of it (according to the local postal employee).... or maybe they thought it was some funky looking pipe bomb configuration...??

I say just ship it whatever way is easiest to track.

Car Guy
11-10-2008, 11:16 PM
seriously does it suck that bad?

Well I had to do it once and it was a NIGHTMARE because of customs, you thought the DMV was difficult to deal with.....:stare

A B4C Z
11-10-2008, 11:49 PM
usps seems to be the eaisest when shipping to canada. Canada is always a pain in the ass to ship to.

jon_we4
11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
If you ship UPS (non-expedited) they will rape the receiver with brokerage fees. Wouldn't trust DHL. I would stick with USPS (reasonable with their flat rate box sizes) or try BAX Global (http://www.baxglobal.com/US.asp). Also all USPS goes through customs in Toronto, so if you are shipping out west they might have to wait. Anywhere in Ontario and they should get it pretty soon.

88Nightmare
11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Keep in mind, UPS gaurantees a delivery date and expedites their packages through customs.... USPS there is no gauranteed date and can sit in customs for weeks like others have mentioned

jon_we4
11-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Keep in mind, UPS gaurantees a delivery date and expedites their packages through customs.... USPS there is no gauranteed date and can sit in customs for weeks like others have mentioned

Standard UPS isn't a guaranteed time frame. Expedited shipping costs include the brokerage fee. I don't even think all levels of expedited service are guaranteed.

Unless you are way out west (Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc) you really don't have much to worry about. If the paperwork is done properly Milwaukee/Chicago to Greater Toronto area is on average less than a week. I have not seen anything sit at customs in Toronto for more than 2 days. Only delays I've seen were out in rural areas and were more their local postal offices than anything.

wikked
11-11-2008, 12:28 PM
50lbs anywhere out of the U.S. is gonna be expensive.

I sent a much lighter PS3 to the U.K. and it was like $116.

Always include shipping price in whatever you're selling, or get a quote beforehand and make them pay it.

PB86MCSS
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
I've only shipped items to Canada via USPS. I've heard from Canadians that UPS or FedEx are too pricey and a PITA to go through. But I've only done smaller items vs what you have....I'd also say that price isn't too out of line for going across country and the size. That size/weight for a domestic price might be $25-30 already...

Another tip I learned from a Canadian I shipped to, if using USPS, is to add insurance even if its only a trace amount, somehow this will get it there much quicker than without insurance. I just re-read your post and saw you will be insuring it anyways, so that should help.

88Nightmare
11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
when I worked at a harley dealership, I had a customer who lived in austria and emailed me once or twice a month with parts that he wanted. We always shipped UPS Expedited. Gauranteed delivery time, and a tracking number. Never had one issue.

GinoRin
11-12-2008, 08:42 AM
If you ship UPS (non-expedited) they will rape the receiver with brokerage fees. Wouldn't trust DHL. I would stick with USPS (reasonable with their flat rate box sizes) or try BAX Global (http://www.baxglobal.com/US.asp). Also all USPS goes through customs in Toronto, so if you are shipping out west they might have to wait. Anywhere in Ontario and they should get it pretty soon.

Jon you are the fuggin MAN! Bax global 80 bux :thumbsup