PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger FTW

DirtyMax
11-09-2008, 09:54 PM
A friend of mine ranted and raved about this caliber. Basically, it's a necked down .222. It's a relatively new caliber (only about 4 years old IIRC) and is quickly becoming a hit with varmint hunters. It shoots 4300fps from factory Hornaday rounds, yada-yada, etc. Picked myself up one earlier this year (Savage with the Accutrigger) but never got to shoot it all summer. A local rifle range was having their annual "open to the public" deer sight this weekend so I decided to take the newest rifle there.

I wanted a scope that would really reach out to a good distance and I read up on Barska scopes. The brand is supposed to be suspect with regards to heavy impact resistance on rifles with alot of recoil but for this little caliber, people were having good luck with the 6-24x42AO model so I decided to try one. I figured for $100, I could afford to gamble since a Leupold in a similar size would cost me several times over what this cost. I must say that at 100 yards, the optics were extremely sharp. At 100 yds.,I was able to read all of the small numbers on the target and could damn near tell you the copyright date on the thing! No qualms about this piece of optics thus far that's for sure.

Within 1/2 box of shells, I was repeatedly knocking the nail off the marker at 100 yds. Absolute awesome calber to shoot and seems like a tack driver at 100 yards. I look forward to lightneing up the AccuTrigger some and putting some yotes' to the ground this winter!

Russ Jerome
11-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I like the 204, was hitting some ground squirels in Delevan at over 200yards with the neigbors Ruger #1. He has issues when the wind picks up but they shoot in long open ranges and wind picks up fast.

I picked up the higher end Barska myself recently. I've only shot the gun at the Falls one time and my only complaint is the quality of the glass in low light. Towards the end of shooting time my eyes were realy watering as I played with the paralex and fine eye relief in back (4-16x50). The Mueller for a little more is a better option but they are hard to find in stock localy.

Russ Jerome
11-09-2008, 11:13 PM
I do a little trigger work for myself and other when I have time (never get my own stuff done ayway), when you want to get down to or below #2 let me know.

The accutrigger is nice out of the box, can be made better or totaly destroy it done wrong.