PDA

View Full Version : deep fry a turkey

88Nightmare
11-08-2008, 02:33 AM
well its almost turkey day.... its gettin close real quick. i want to deep fry my turkey this year. Ive never done it before. I bought a fryer kit from walmart. came with the pot, stand, burner.....etc. All you do is supply a turkey, oil, and a propane tank. My question is... what kind of oil do I use? How do I cook it? Should the turkey be defrosted or frozen? How long does it need to cook? anyone do this before? how did yours turn out?

Voodoo Chick
11-08-2008, 02:34 AM
Defrosted, use high-quality peanut oil.

88Nightmare
11-08-2008, 02:38 AM
peanut oil is expensive as fuck isn't it? where can I buy a large enough quantity to fill this fryer?

lasttimearound
11-08-2008, 02:56 AM
no one ever said it was cheap... i deep friend my last 2, and they were the most expensive ive ever done.

juicedimpss
11-08-2008, 09:42 AM
thats the shit for cookin a bird. definately tasty.

xxtremeteam
11-08-2008, 10:32 AM
i think walmart sells the oil in big jugs havent looked in awhile

wikked
11-08-2008, 10:35 AM
or sams club maybe.

Your best bet is to do it OUTDOORS also... shit is probably the #1 cause of fires in the last 5yrs.

88Nightmare
11-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I will of course do it outdoors, right on my driveway.

Did a little research. They say you can use either corn, canola, or peanut oil. Heat the oil to 325º. A rule of thumb for cooking it would be 3 minutes per pound. Temperature in the turkey should reach 170º. So now I just gotta find a large amount of oil. Depending upon my fryer, I could need anywhere from 3-5 gallons.

4eyedstang
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Sam's club is where i always go for oil about $40 tho
a few tips . do not buy a turkey that is more then 15 pounds fully thaw the bird and definitely try the flavor injector spices you can find them at menards.i always do one flavor on one side and another on the other side . before you add oil put the turkey in the pot and fill it with water till it cover the turkey completely then remove the turkey and mark the water level then add oil to that mark heat to 350 degrees and slowly put the turkey in the oil cook for 10 minuets +3 minuets per pound and enjoy

88Nightmare
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
so youre sayin 3 minutes per pound, plus an additional 10 minutes?

If the oil is at sames club then im screwed, I dont have a membership to that place.

xxtremeteam
11-08-2008, 11:14 AM
walmart should have too in the area where you would get the grills or menards seems to have it as well

4eyedstang
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
so youre sayin 3 minutes per pound, plus an additional 10 minutes?

If the oil is at sames club then im screwed, I dont have a membership to that place.

that's how i cook mine and they have always turned out great. and you can get a temp membership at Sam's i think.
I always pour the oil thru a cheese cloth back into the container and save it for a christmas bird to off set some of the cost.

lordairgtar
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Using water is a good way to find your level, but really dry the pot well before adding oil as the water will pop when heated. I use Canola. Always introduce your bird o hot oil slooooooowly. You don't want to cause hot oil to splash on you. Hurts like hell.

stenchmiester
11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
mike pm me i can get the oil from restaurant depot for very cheap

88Nightmare
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
so canola oil will work just fine? everyone insists use peanut oil for the best flavor, but im willing to try anything.

Silver350
11-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Peanut oil for the FTMFW! you can get it pretty much anywhere. I think my friend got his last year from walmart.

Just be care full lower the bird slowly in it. The oil will shoot up out of the bird when you put it in and your hand might get splashed with oil just tough it out and keep going slow otherwise it might overflow and start a fire.

70challenger452
11-08-2008, 02:30 PM
it'll be the best turkey you'll ever have. My dad's likes to do one deep fried and one grilled or baked and no matter what the deep fried always has the most flavor and is definatly the least dry

CarrotTop
11-08-2008, 02:36 PM
menards had peanut oil.

BoosTT
11-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Make some french frys and stuff while you have the deep fryer all setup and oil is already poured in.

Reverend Cooper
11-08-2008, 05:56 PM
10w-30 for 20 minutes

WickedSix
11-08-2008, 09:06 PM
mmm fried turkey ... and some cranberry sauce :drool:

MoCkiN U
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
found at farm n fleet.com....they have some good recipes there. I was surprised to find

http://www.farmandfleet.com/projects/find.aspx?c=5

Gone are the days of getting up at 6:00 on Thanksgiving morning to get the turkey in the oven. Imagine having your turkey done in under an hour! Deep frying turkeys has been popular in the south for years and the turkey comes out anything but greasy. The oil seals the outside, making this one of the juiciest birds you’ll ever make! But, be forewarned, once you try this method of preparing your turkey, you may never cook your holiday turkey any other way.
Materials Checklist

* Turkey fryer (includes injector and thermometer)
Blain # 496174
View Detail
* Peanut Frying Oil
Blain # 381665
* Buttery Creole Marinade
Blain # 367388
* Meat Thermometer
Blain # 497354
View Detail
* **Turkey (not available at Blain’s Farm & Fleet)
* **Optional Items (as listed in PDF file)

Instructions

1. First you must select your turkey. The ideal turkey for frying is usually not more than 13 pounds. Larger turkeys require extensive cooking time to ensure the internal temperature is between 180-190 degrees. Sometimes, this can overcook the outside (skin) of the turkey. Try using 2 smaller turkeys instead of a single large turkey.
2. Begin preparing the turkey by completely thawing the turkey according to the manufacturers directions. Once the turkey is thawed remove the neck and giblets from the turkey cavity. Cut away any excess skin at the neck opening. Be sure there are no obstructions.
3. Next, you’ll want to marinate the turkey using the marinade injector and the Buttery Creole marinade. Fill the turkey with the entire 16 oz. of marinade and place the turkey in the refrigerator, allowing it to marinade for at least 2 hours. Overnight is recommended.
4. Once your bird has marinated, you will need to mount the bird onto the stand. To do this, place the loop on the top of the stand through the neck hole and exit the body cavity at the legs. Some turkey fryers will use a basket instead of a stand, so always refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.
5. You are now ready to begin cooking your turkey. Be sure to follow the instructions for set up, lighting and operating your outdoor propane cooker. Do not leave the outdoor cooker unattended while cooking or during the cool down period. Also, make sure that your outdoor cooker is actually outdoors. Do not use your turkey fryer inside or in your garage. Pour the oil into the pot and clip the thermometer to the side of the pot with the probe end in the oil. Do not fill past the fill line on the pot.
6. Heat the oil slowly over a low flame and gradually increase the heat until the oil temperature reaches 325-350 degrees. For a turkey between 10 and 13 pounds, the cooking temperature should be 350 degrees. For a bird 14-20 pounds, the cooking temperature should be 325 degrees. This should take about 15-20 minutes. Do not leave the cooker unattended during heat up.
7. Once the oil has reached the correct temperature, turn off the flame. Slowly lower the turkey into the hot oil. Once the turkey is submerged, relight the flame. Splattering will occur so wear protective mitt or gloves and a long sleeve shirt and long pants. Do not use the lid when frying. Your cooking time should be 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound. The most accurate way to tell when the bird is done is to use a meat thermometer, inserting it deep into the breast and thigh. The recommended internal temperature of the turkey should be between 180-190 degrees.
8. Once the turkey is cooked remove it from the oil by placing the grab hook into the loop and lifting the turkey slowly out of the oil. Be sure to allow the excess oil to drain back into the pot. Place the cooked turkey on a platter lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil. Remove the turkey from the stand, carve and enjoy.
9. Don’t forget to turn off the propane and allow oil to cool down before removing pot.

07ROUSHSTG3
11-09-2008, 10:00 AM
Make some french frys and stuff while you have the deep fryer all setup and oil is already poured in.

damn right! toss some twinkies in there too. that is the nice thing, once you have the oil nice and hot it is so easy to make all sorts of stuff. deep fried turkey is great. let us know how you like it.

ND4SPD
11-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Make sure you follow the part about "DO IT OUTSIDE!"

88Nightmare
11-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Make sure you follow the part about "DO IT OUTSIDE!"

I can't do it in my kitchen? :rolleyes:

88Nightmare
11-09-2008, 04:06 PM
oh yeah and walmart has the EXACT same King Kooker turkey fryer for almost $30 bucks less :D

88Nightmare
11-11-2008, 12:05 PM
so I picked up my fryer from gander mountain. They seemed to have the best deal. 30qt fryer kit with a spigot on the bottom of the pot for easy oil removal, with tax and everything, turned out to be $73. Fleet Farm has 3 gallons of the oil for $29 bucks.... I'm going to try going to costco this weekend and see if they have it any cheaper. I'm gettin excited, I cant wait to try this turkey

Cryptic
11-11-2008, 12:22 PM
It isn't going to be that much oil once you put a 15+lb bird in it

That_Guy
11-11-2008, 01:16 PM
inject the turkey with some sort of seasoning like honey mustard and fry it!!! thats what we do

xxtremeteam
11-11-2008, 01:58 PM
man this thread makes me want to put my fryer together and do this mine is brand new in the box for over two years i also have the smaller pot for small items like fish and chicken breast my buddy also does deep fried steak and claims its real good

Karps TA
11-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I've always wanted to try deep frying a turkey, but never think about it. Maybe next spring I'll have to give it a shot.

ND4SPD
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I can't do it in my kitchen? :rolleyes:

Sadly, people have burned garages and houses down doing just that.

Silver03SRT
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
Well quite honestly if you are smart about it you can do it inside but that is not the right way to do it. Make sure the bird is thawed out completely and is dry. The oil should be between 350 and 400 if i remember correct and its about 4 minutes per pound. I used cotton seed oil the past 3 turkeys and they turned out good. Not the same taste as the peanut oil. Someone said make fries with the oil but only do that if you dont want to use the oil again. You can use it 2 or 3 times but once you put those frys in there it really darkens the oil and you lose the flavor. I used to fry a turkey/chicken 2 or 3 times a month but now its once a month since its not the healthiest for you. Maybe some day we can get a BCM turkey fry day.

Slow Joe
11-11-2008, 06:11 PM
My dad and I fried a turkey a few years back, we used Corn oil (I have a peanut allergy) and it was delicious.. :thumbsup

flyin_blue_egg
11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
all i know i that you gotta defrost the bird...it's true what they say happens when you put frozen stuff into boiling hot oil

flyin_blue_egg
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
i think walmart sells the oil in big jugs havent looked in awhile

i work at wally world...and yes they do

flyin_blue_egg
11-11-2008, 06:26 PM
i was watching a cooking show once and he somehow rigged it up so you could lower the bird in from a distance using a rope

Slow Joe
11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
i was watching a cooking show once and he somehow rigged it up so you could lower the bird in from a distance using a rope

Most likely used a pulley system with a hook or such in the bird...

CATNHAT
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
I have done 2 birds for the past 4 years. By far, the best reviews have come from the "Cajun Injector Brand-Hot n Spicy Butter" marinade. I usually get it at Gander.

Inject the bird on weds night, rub the bird with some spicy creole or cajun seasonings, place in garage to keep bird cold (weather permitting).

Then put that bastard in the pot--drink 4-5 coronas while waiting. Extract bird, let sit on counter for 10 mins before cutting. I usually do 3.5 minutes per pound. So a 15 lb bird = 4 beers.

Then tell family to get the hell out, smoke a fatty, :woooeat entire bird.

Pass out.

Friday, repeat.

Due to economies of scale, you want to maximize oil penetration into bird dining market. Therefore, you must repeat process.

88Nightmare
11-12-2008, 12:08 AM
well the fryer instructions and places ive read online warn against frying a bird bigger then 14lbs. Its just going to be 4 of us, so a 12 pounder will do the trick.

MoCkiN U
11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
this is a mild reaction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA71ZEmOQko&feature=related

mybusters did one that was waaaay more violent

Slow Joe
11-12-2008, 08:09 AM
"Turkey Drop 2007" :rolf :rolf :rolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9M7s0eiUT4&NR=1

ThatWhiteCivic
11-12-2008, 08:52 AM
You won't be able to taste the difference between peanut and corn/canola oil.