PDA

View Full Version : Air Purifier

michelle
11-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Anybody have one that they recommend? I've been reading reviews online and I would like to get a nice one, but sometimes it is nice to hear a review from a person instead of just reading it online when they aren't always clear.

Apparently Adam thinks he is allergic to my animals and since I refuse to re-home any of them, I would like to try an air purifier to see if that makes a difference.

I was told to look at a charcoal filter, but then also told to look at HEPA filters. Haven't really figured what any of that means, but I am looking.

Thanks!

Car Guy
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM
I have been looking to buy an air purifier also (for some time now actually) but still can't find any ‘real world’ feedback from anybody, so I am still without one. However, now that winter is almost here and the windows will be closed all of the time I would really like to find one ASAP.....:xmas

Slow Joe
11-05-2008, 09:58 PM
My dad has some of those... Ionic Breeze things (I think) and I have a good old holmes one that works good... Biggest thing is to make sure the filters are affordable, and easy to get...

Korndogg
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
http://www.surroundair.com/uv-light.htm

Not saying that specific brand but the UV lights work wonders.

Scales
11-07-2008, 03:36 AM
I bought the Wal-Mart version of the Ionic Breeze last year for $100. It is sitting in my closet right now in it's box never to be used again. The only thing it worked well at was making noise...

wrath
11-07-2008, 08:00 AM
How often do you vacuum? Do you use a quality vacuum? If you're using a cheap vacuum that sucks at life then using a quality one might be all you need. We have a Hoover "Pet Vac Rewind" and it works very well, not quite Dyson well, but close. It has two filters. The first one gets at least 98% of the shit out of the carpet. When it gets dirty, just bang it against something outside and it'll fall out. It's amazing how much better it is than a <$100 vacuum cleaner. Night and day.

If we don't vacuum at least every third day both my allergies and my girlfriend's "not allergies" (since she won't admit to being allergic to the dog) start getting aggravated. In that period of time the vacuum cleaner will get about 1/8 cup of dog dander. Plus about a football-sized wad of hair (it compresses smaller). Our dog is only 28lbs.

If you have a decent HVAC system you can use good furnace filters to filter the air. Just schedule the thermostat to run the blower at times of the day without running heat or A/C. This is what I did when I was in Michigan. It works very well, but it requires a good blower and a good filter (a $10 filter will last about 3 weeks).

ND4SPD
11-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I have a Honeywell purifier with a washable HEPA filter. I think it's this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Enviracaire-60001-Grade-Purifier-Filter/dp/B0002IXXPE/ref=sr_1_40?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1226241045&sr=8-40

It works really well, quiet, the filter is washable/reusable.