PDA

View Full Version : Brewers pick up Cameron's option

Karps TA
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
WTF are they thinking? $10 mill that could have been spent on a pitcher.

They figure they'll easily recoup that money in lower air conditioning costs from him fanning at balls 3 out of every 4 plate appearances?

The guy may have only made 1 error, but he should have had more. He misplays alot of balls, but gets lucky. He loses a half a step in speed, and he'll be worthless.

Silver350
11-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Im actually glad cameron is staying. He comes up big when needed. He does strike out a lot but he can hit for power. He is also a very good defensive player. Same as Jeff Jinkins but with a lot more speed.

DirtyMax
11-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I dont think this was $$ well spent. They're never going to find out what they have in Tony Gwynn Jr. unless they give him a chance to play while he's still young.....

Anakonda69
11-03-2008, 12:26 PM
cameron isn't the worst but way too much money for him. give tony gywnn a shot.

07ROUSHSTG3
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
cameron isn't the worst but way too much money for him. give tony gywnn a shot.

i agree?!?!?!? why dont they give him a legitatmate shot :confused

Silver350
11-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I think it was all down to Yost and why Gywnn wasn't given that many shots. Maybe next year well see more of him who knows.

wikked
11-03-2008, 01:01 PM
i agree?!?!?!? why dont they give him a legitatmate shot :confused

Because he was mediocre in AAA, at best.
If he can't perform at that level, why try with the guys who are proven.

I think if his name wasn't "Tony Gwynn", no one would care, and he would be lost in the minors forever.

70challenger452
11-03-2008, 01:28 PM
if my memory serves me right, Tony Gwynn batted under .200 in the majors, he hasn't proved that he's a real major leaguer(sp?) yet. As far as I know Kapler isn't coming back so that would leave Tony to get the same opportunity that Kapler had this season, which gives him plenty of chance to prove himself. Keeping Cameron, even though he should be paid half that, was worth it and it solidifies the center fielder position, I'm glad to see him back.

jbiscuit
11-03-2008, 02:01 PM
meh I could take him or leave him. $10mil is a lot for him though

PB86MCSS
11-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Because he was mediocre in AAA, at best.
If he can't perform at that level, why try with the guys who are proven.

I think if his name wasn't "Tony Gwynn", no one would care, and he would be lost in the minors forever.

Exactly. I used to like Gwynn, still do as a 4th outfielder type, but hes not proven to be a regular or progressed like people wanted. I think his minor league stats have been pedestrian at best.

I like the pickup of the option, its kind of a no brainer...above average defense and bat (looking at OPS) and only a 1 year deal. He gave them exactly what they expected last year. Streaky and frustrating but when hes hot hes hot and he does have a good glove at a key position. Really, who else would they play? Kapler is a fine player but not a regular and they don't have anyone coming up thats ready. I thought moving Hart to center and getting someone else in RF would be an idea though.

Karps TA
11-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Gwynn this year never even got legitmate plate appearances. He'd be put in as a pinch hitter in the 9th down by 4 runs and asked to bunt onto base.

The last thing the Brewers need is a guy like Cameron in the lineup striking out 3 times a game, the guy sitting at 3rd does that more then enough. They need a couple more guys that can hit for some kind of avg, not just another power hitter.

I just don't see why they keep Gywnn if they aren't going to give him a legitimate shot. Plenty of other teams have inquired about trading for him and the Brewers never do.

I guess atleast they didn't pick up Consuls (sp?) option.

jbiscuit
11-03-2008, 02:46 PM
THANK GOD ON COUNSEL!!!!! He is terrible...in my top three worst hitters on the Crew. Up there with him are:

Ricky Weeks
Corey Hart

PB86MCSS
11-03-2008, 03:21 PM
Hart needs to get back on track, his on base percentage is scary....Weeks, well....we'll see if he gets another chance. If he does, I think its through May then if he hasn't turned it around, hes moved to another franchise.

Gwynn hasn't really proven himself in the minors, no reason he will get a chance to prove himself with a playoff caliber team at the major league level. I think the list is pretty short of guys who haven't done anything in the minors but somehow "find it" in the majors. I think his trade value has dropped too, otherwise he'd be gone. I think since he stunk this year in AAA other teams are scared too. Might as well keep him to see if he can turn it around, then maybe consider him for the future in CF or trade him for more.

They do need other guys unlike Cameron with the tons of K's-good power-no average but I think its safe to say Hall is gone and Weeks might be too before 09' starts, so Cam would be maybe the only guy like that on the team, unless Hart continues to play like he did in the 2nd half of last year. They need guys with better on base %'s so Fielder/Braun can drive them in, Hart too if he doesn't continue the slide. A true leadoff guy wouldn't hurt either.

PB86MCSS
12-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Sounds like Cameron is on his way to the Yankees in a trade..

Karps TA
12-11-2008, 08:22 AM
Nothing like having a guy named Milky playing in the dairy state.

JC70SS
12-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Hall looks to be going to?

Karps TA
12-11-2008, 10:03 AM
If the Yankees take Cameron and Hall, that almost makes up for them getting CC. Now they'll have a guy who throws for 100 strikeouts, as well as hitter who have 100 strikeouts.

jbiscuit
12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
^ well said....counter productive. Do they want anyone else from our squad? Weeks? Hart? Maybe do a package deal for those bozos?

PB86MCSS
12-11-2008, 11:10 AM
I love Hart but the last month of last season I started getting some doubts about him. I still have faith though...Weeks will have a couple months as a last chance this year, I think. By June 1 if he isn't improved hes probably moved.

70challenger452
12-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Get rid of weeks and Hall, I don't see any improvements coming from there. starting line up for 2010, Gamel at third, Escobar at SS and Hardy at 2nd.

JC70SS
12-11-2008, 12:18 PM
La Porta at SS...oh wait we gave him away for a player for 2 months:rolleyes:

DirtyMax
12-11-2008, 01:19 PM
La Porta at SS...oh wait we gave him away for a player for 2 months:rolleyes:

wasnt he an outfielder anyways?

Karps TA
12-11-2008, 02:18 PM
La Porta was a OF's not a SS.

That was still a great move.

Karps TA
12-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Now the Yankees want the Brewers to pick up part of Camerons Salary? Are they nuts? Especially after taking CC away? Hey how about you fuck my girlfriend, I'll even pay for dinner and the hotel.