PDA

View Full Version : 2009 SVT Ford Raptor.....not dead afterall.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-31-2008, 09:53 PM
thought that this program was pretty much dead......guess not :banana1:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/31/video-ford-f-150-raptor-svt-storming-across-the-desert/

this was the truck that was rumored to be getting the 6.2 Boss motor. will have to wait and see.

wrath
10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
Are they still trying to keep the crappy leaf springs under control? I remember watching the F150's box sides break at the GM proving grounds when they drove it with the tailgate down. I also watched it bounce off the shaker at an independent test center.

07ROUSHSTG3
11-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Are they still trying to keep the crappy leaf springs under control? I remember watching the F150's box sides break at the GM proving grounds when they drove it with the tailgate down. I also watched it bounce off the shaker at an independent test center.

how can you make a crappy leaf spring? :rolf it is a piece of metal? :rolleyes:

wrath
11-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Oh, you can make leaf springs pretty crappy. Ford has been using the same leaf springs for thirty years. 57" long, 3" wide, and love to crack at the center pin.

Rumor is that they're going to GM-sized springs for 2009. Rumor is also they're going to use the Eaton E-Locker in the rear.

I don't really keep up on Ford trucks.

STANMAN
11-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Oh, you can make leaf springs pretty crappy. Ford has been using the same leaf springs for thirty years. 57" long, 3" wide, and love to crack at the center pin.

Rumor is that they're going to GM-sized springs for 2009. Rumor is also they're going to use the Eaton E-Locker in the rear.

I don't really keep up on Ford trucks.

So it's been the best selling truck for an eternity because Chevy trucks are better? Hmmmmm, I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't caught on that they are such garbage. I have owned more than my share and I have never had a problem with the springs, or the rear locker. Perhaps I just got good ones:rolf

wrath
11-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Ford nutswingers... You'll never have a problem with the trash-lock because the 2v 5.4L is a gutless wonder. Plus, you probably never used it for a truck.

2007 sales numbers:
Ford F-Series: 690,589
Chevy Silverado: 618,257
Dodge Ram: 358,295
GMC Sierra: 208,243
Toyota Tundra: 196,555
Nissan Titan: 65,746
GM Total = 618,257 + 208,243 = 825,600 >>>> Ford's 690,589

STANMAN
11-01-2008, 06:31 PM
Maybe Mercury should sell a re-badged F150 so it can beat GM and Chevy :rolleyes:

wrath
11-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Maybe Mercury should sell a re-badged F150 so it can beat GM and Chevy :rolleyes:

They'd sell what, 12 of them a year?

07ROUSHSTG3
11-05-2008, 12:48 PM
indeed there is a new 6.2 liter in the ford camp. looks to be a pushrod too?? correct me if i am wrong, but those valve covers look way to tiny to be even a sohc?!?!?!

http://www.themustangnews.com/eventcov_08/1108-sema-2008-f-150-raptor-192.htm

Josepy
11-05-2008, 12:51 PM
So it's been the best selling truck for an eternity because Chevy trucks are better? Hmmmmm, I wonder why the rest of the world hasn't caught on that they are such garbage. I have owned more than my share and I have never had a problem with the springs, or the rear locker. Perhaps I just got good ones:rolf

you did get the good ones. mine have broke. had high miles though.

Prince Valiant
11-05-2008, 01:27 PM
indeed there is a new 6.2 liter in the ford camp. looks to be a pushrod too?? correct me if i am wrong, but those valve covers look way to tiny to be even a sohc?!?!?!

http://www.themustangnews.com/eventcov_08/1108-sema-2008-f-150-raptor-192.htm
The hurricane has been off and on and changed time and again...

last I heard, it was likely to actually retain the overhead cam set-up. However, I doubted this then, and certainly not sure of it now. The picture on the blog didn't conclusively show one way or the other imo...it certainly seems too wide for a conventional wedge/inline valve arrangement.

That means one of two things:

1. My source was indeed correct, and the hurricane will be essentially a big bore version of the current mod motors, albeit in the 2v versions initially.

2. They go with the vastly simpler, cheaper to produce and thus superior pushrod set-up, but feature a canted valve arrangement.

I lean toward 1, but the pic wasn't conclusive (couldn't see in front of the valve covers, etc.

I'm fairly certain it's not a conventional head design though in terms of push-rod/wedge head LS/LQ type though.

07ROUSHSTG3
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
The hurricane has been off and on and changed time and again...

last I heard, it was likely to actually retain the overhead cam set-up. However, I doubted this then, and certainly not sure of it now. The picture on the blog didn't conclusively show one way or the other imo...it certainly seems too wide for a conventional wedge/inline valve arrangement.

That means one of two things:

1. My source was indeed correct, and the hurricane will be essentially a big bore version of the current mod motors, albeit in the 2v versions initially.

2. They go with the vastly simpler, cheaper to produce and thus superior pushrod set-up, but feature a canted valve arrangement.

I lean toward 1, but the pic wasn't conclusive (couldn't see in front of the valve covers, etc.

I'm fairly certain it's not a conventional head design though in terms of push-rod/wedge head LS/LQ type though.

yeah, i surely couldn't tell too much by the pic either, but when i look under the hood of a 4.6 3v, or a gt500 4v, the valve covers are a lot bigger than what can be seen on the 6.2. i would think that there has to be some info somewhere?!?! will do some digging :D

07ROUSHSTG3
11-05-2008, 03:04 PM
sounds like it will be a SOHC according to what is said on wikipedia, which also means that it is pretty likely that we will see it in the 2010 mustang. was really hoping to see a pushrod motor in a mustang again?!?!? wish they wouldn't use the "boss" monikor either.

"The 6.2 L Boss engine will reportedly displace 379 cubic inches (6207 cc) and produce roughly 425 hp (317 kW) and 425 lb·ft (576 N·m) upon introduction. The engine architecture will offer the ability to exceed 7.0 L (≈427 cu in) in future applications. Reports indicate the Boss will retain several design similarities with the Modular V8 such as deep skirt block with cross bolted main caps, crankshaft driven gerotor oil pump, and overhead camshaft valve train arrangement. The Boss' single most significant departure from the Modular V8 will be seen in the wider 4.53 in (115 mm) bore centerline; the Modular V8 is 3.94 in (100 mm) by comparison. The 6.2 L will reportedly employ a 4.015 in (102 mm) bore diameter and a 3.74 in (95 mm) stroke to achieve it's 6.2 L of displacement. The initial versions of the Boss will have single overhead camshafts, two valves per cylinder, two spark plugs per cylinder and employ a form of cylinder deactivation for increased fuel economy and reduced emissions.

Initial information on valve sizes of the 6.2 L puts the intake valve at 2.10 in and the exhaust valve at 1.65 in. [2] Later high-performance versions will be equipped with DOHC 4-valve heads and gasoline direct injection (GDI). A "TwinForce" 6.2 L DOHC 4-valve, twin-turbo, GDI version of the Boss is being developed and has reportedly produced over 650 lb·ft (881 N·m) in testing, although there are no known plans time to install this engine in a production application"

07ROUSHSTG3
11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
and you gotta love ford's quote with this truck:

“We’re Going To Drive This Right Up Toyota’s Ass”