PDA

View Full Version : Gm / Chrysler merger 5-7 vehicles from chrysler would survive

Cryptic
10-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Consultant: GM merger would eliminate most Chrysler vehicles
Ford wants 'parity' if government gets involved

Bradford Wernle
Automotive News
October 30, 2008 - 2:50 pm ET
UPDATED: 10/30/08 4:00 p.m. EDT

DETROIT -- A merger between General Motors and Chrysler LLC would result in the closing of as many as half of Chrysler's factories and elimination of all but about seven core models, according to a report by consulting firm Grant Thornton LLP.

A deal also could result in a loss of 100,000 to 200,000 jobs at the two automakers, suppliers and other industry stakeholders, said Kimberly Rodriguez, principal of Grant Thornton's automotive practice.

Rodriguez said she believes negotiators could reach an agreement in principal as soon as Tuesday, Nov. 4, election day. Reuters reported yesterday that GM and Chrysler's owner, Cerberus Capital Management LP, have resolved major issues and the final form of any accord will depend on financing and U.S. government support.

"Chrysler as we know it will cease to exist very soon," she said at a briefing with reporters today in suburban Detroit. "There are few options available to either company."

Chrysler now has 14 factories, two of them already scheduled to close: Newark, Del.; St. Louis South.

Chrysler has also offered its Viper business for sale, along with the Conner Avenue plant in Detroit where the sports car is made. Grant Thornton believes an additional four plants could close. Among the plants on the cusp would include Sterling Heights (Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger), Toledo North (Jeep Liberty, Dodge Nitro), St. Louis North (Dodge Ram) and Saltillo, Mexico (Dodge Ram heavy duty trucks).

The blended companies would command about one third of U.S. auto sales.

In a related development today, if GM and Chrysler get federal aid, Ford Motor Co. will expect some help, too. Ford executives are staying in touch with federal policy makers and "the powers that be" to make sure they understand the challenges Ford also faces, said Mark Fields, Ford's president of the Americas.

"We just want to make sure we continue that ongoing dialogue and make sure that, whatever happens, there's a degree of parity," Fields told reporters at a press event today.

Lesser of the evils

Rodriguez acknowledges the merger of GM and Chrysler was not "an optimal solution," but is still better than the alternatives, which would include one or both of the companies going out of business.

"Despite the significant number of families that will be impacted, the benefits of combining the two companies are both structural and strategic," Rodriguez said.

Consolidation of the dealer bodies of both companies would likely accelerate with a merger, according to the Grant Thornton study. The two companies have about 22,000 dealer franchises, more than half of those in the United States.

The remaining Chrysler dealers would have many fewer vehicles to sell. Grant Thornton estimates Chrysler now has 26 models, but only seven are core. Surviving Chrysler vehicles would likely be the Dodge Ram pickup; Chrysler and Dodge minivans; and several Jeep models, including the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.

The merger, while unpalatable in many respects, would provide several benefits:

• GM's leadership in plug-in hybrid technology

• A stronger position in full-size pickups, displacing Ford as industry leader

• More liquidity, thanks to the cash on Chrysler's balance sheet

• Cost reduction by elimination of overlapping staffs, especially in sales, marketing and administration.

An expensive deal

Rodriguez says the industry consolidation that would follow a GM-Chrysler merger would be a very costly proposition, especially if the industry approaches it responsibly, as she expects it will.

The lost work to the supply base would put hundreds of companies at risk.

"It will actually cost the combined GM-Chrysler entity, as well as the other OEMs in the industry that will have to deal with suppliers who will no longer be viable," she said.

"The suppliers have been hit by the financing crisis and the raw materials crisis and volumes falling off. This will be a final blow to many suppliers and that will be costly to all the OEMS, but in a controlled fashion, it's something that the industry with access to financing should be able to weather."

Rodriguez says that up to 50,000 additional non-Chrysler jobs could be lost from the supply base if Chrysler was to close the plants Grant Thornton expects.

The timeframe could be years. Some vehicle platforms could go away, some plants could be closed as early as the holiday shutdown and other plants could take years to close, she said.

Still, the impact to the supply base is, according to Rodriguez, potentially one of the largest effects of a transaction of this type.

"For every one job you might lose at a direct plant, you can multiply that by 5 or 6 in the industry as a whole," she told reporters at a briefing.

Goat Roper
10-30-2008, 09:28 PM
I would imagine the 300/Charger platform would survive as well, but then again maybe not

Irish
10-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Lsx motors in the jeeps with a 4l80E Yesssssssss!!!!!!!!

07ROUSHSTG3
10-30-2008, 09:40 PM
we have been talking about this at work since obviously it would affect us a little bit, and i can;t see why more than the 300, the ram, and the minivan lines from chrysler would survive. has anyone looked at a new nitro, caliber, patriot, sebring or avenger?!??! they are junk, plain and simple. they serve no purpose to the automotive landscape. and why they make any jeeps besides the grand cherokee and the wrangler is beyond me. all in all if gm and chrysler would get together i think it would be great. trim down both's offerings, and concentrate less on cutting costs and more on putting out a good product.

as for ford. if they would cut the mercury nameplate all together they too would benefit. with all the levels of trim you can get on a ford, mercury is not needed anymore. lincolns have been selling actually quite well, and if anyone has driven a new lincoln lately, they are pretty dam nice.

in my opinion in less then 10 years, AMC will make a comeback. American Motor Corp. the three will become one government backed company. hope we don;t see that, but more and more it is looking like that.

Rocket Power
10-30-2008, 09:44 PM
GM should kill GMC, Buick,saturn and Pontiac and just have Chevy and Caddy.They can slap a chevy nose one the stuff Pontiac is importing

07ROUSHSTG3
10-30-2008, 09:47 PM
GM should kill GMC, Buick,saturn and Pontiac and just have Chevy and Caddy.They can slap a chevy nose one the stuff Pontiac is importing

that would be a good idea too. pontiac especially has no reason to still be around.

97z2801ss
10-30-2008, 09:53 PM

Not a bad Idea but saturns are pretty nice, sister has a newer one, plus im seeing alot more Ion, vues and auras around....

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-30-2008, 09:58 PM
I think buying out the dealers for all those dead names would cost GM more than ChryCo.
I would never buy another GM product if they bought ChryCo and just shut it down.

Car Guy
10-30-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm just glad that my blood is Ford blue.....:thumbsup

Cryptic
10-30-2008, 10:48 PM
http://www.cnbc.com/id/27409944

Slow Joe
10-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm just glad that my blood is Ford blue.....:thumbsup

Agreed... However at least they'd be keeping my favorite Chrysler products... Wrangler & Grand Cherokee :thumbsup

Warhawk2
10-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh noes! Can't lose the SRT-4! Fastest car evaaaaaaa

Waver
10-31-2008, 07:27 AM
I think this will kill gm, especially since chrysler isoffering a lifetime powertrin warrenty to the origional owners of new vehicles and the option to purchase a lifetime bumper warrentyas well.....isnt that what killed amc in the first place?

Breecher_7
10-31-2008, 07:31 AM
I think this will kill gm, especially since chrysler isoffering a lifetime powertrin warrenty to the origional owners of new vehicles and the option to purchase a lifetime bumper warrentyas well.....isnt that what killed amc in the first place?

Dont be suprised if that lifetime powertrain warranty goes away if they merge. It is most likely that they would adopt a universal warranty program for all brands.

Waver
10-31-2008, 07:35 AM
yeah, but they will still befucked by all the 08 chrysler cars that were sold....just because they merge, they still have to honor the warrenty

Slow Joe
10-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Mergers can change things... Although I'd think that GM would be good about it and keep the warranty on the cars that the former company said it would have.

But I'm sure that they would find a reason to void the lifetime warranties... Miss your 5 year check-up by one day and it's all over :rolf

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-31-2008, 10:08 AM
If GM took control of ChryCo I would imagine, labor, dealer and customer contracts are all null and void. Thats what happens with most other takeovers.

BAD LS1
10-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Go figure, marketing ******* something up.... Anything to sell a car:durr There is no shortage of people out there looking to fuck Co's out of warranty money.

But on the other hand GM is so big, i cant see them just going belly up. However in the industry i work in, we had a large competitor that i used to work for go belly up and instead of trying buying them, we let them go and turned out better... Who wants a leach stuck on them anyway?

chrysler can fall off the face of the earth and GM can really try to go toe to toe with imports and mustang / f150 motor Co.