PDA

View Full Version : Any exchange admins around?

Go Speed
10-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Need some serious exchange help.

0TransAm0
10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
huh?

Irish
10-29-2008, 04:48 PM
^ X2 Are you talking about money exchange...

y2kws6
10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
I am guessing MS Exchange. I am about to leave work otherwise I would see what I can do, but for others is this for Home use or Business?

Dan

Go Speed
10-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I am guessing MS Exchange. I am about to leave work otherwise I would see what I can do, but for others is this for Home use or Business?

Dan
SBS2003 Prem, Exchange SP2 + all updates.

I have Exchange setup for a customer and i'm experiencing a seriously weird issue.
It's been running fine for 3+ years, Cryptic help me set it up, when we were business partners. But this is an issue that a)is beyond either of us and b)i can't seem to google the right issue to find some help.

Thanks,
Anthony

Goat Roper
10-29-2008, 07:18 PM
I have extensive Exchange resources in the office that I can get you in contact with tomorrow if you PM me your contact info. That or you could send me a pm with the trouble details and I can forward it to them. I know enough to be dangerous, and thats it.

animal
10-30-2008, 09:20 AM
Why don't you post the problem rather than just posting THAT you have a problem.

Josepy
10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
yes post it i might be of some help also.

Cryptic
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Sounds like he's in panic mode

wikked
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Did you ask Clippy?

Post your question :)

Go Speed
10-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Sorry... didn't know if i'd get a response. Here's the issue...

I'm running a 3.5yr old installation of SBS2003. Everything has been, pretty good.
Recently (yesterday) a user has been getting 'messages' that were sent to a public folder, in his junk mail box. They're labeled as 'messages', not mail. They're sent to sales@ourdomain.com and the message queue shows that they're delivered to our public folder (sales@ourdomain.com).

However, there's not even a copy of it in the sales folder. Just this copy in his folder.

There was a problem awhile back with this user, where even though he wasn't part of a distribution group I made (sales@ourdomain.com) and the public folder was sales2@ourdomain.com) he was getting messages to the group.

I removed the group sale@.com and renamed the public folder address to sales@ instead of sales2.

I mention this, because even with the group removed, when someone invites him to a meeting (meeting invite only) a bounceback is generated that says sales@.com is no longer available.

there are no rules, IMF is running and.... so far that's all i've got.

Anthony

animal
10-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Just sounds like some weird corruption of some sort. Go save all the user's data and public folder data into a pst file or something, delete the username/mailbox, the group, and the public folder and recreate them, then import the user data back to the mailbox and the public data back to the folder. Are these the only exhange entities that are exhibiting this type of problem? I have a phantom user like that on one of my groups too that I can't seem to chase down. However I never tried deleting it because it only comes up like once a year and everything else works normal.

Josepy
10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
just create a new profile for the user. copy all his stuff over and personal folders.

pretty much what animal said. i had that happen here and that fixed it.

animal
10-30-2008, 01:20 PM
make sure when you recreate though, dont use the "copy user" commands. It's best when corruptions like that happen start from scratch with a new user and reconfigure it all to restart. Exchange is all driven by a huge sql dbase in the backend and there was probably just some bad values in there that happened. Removing them all should make sure all those bad values get deleted rather than just updated.

Cryptic
10-30-2008, 01:35 PM
I just spoke with him on the phone... I said the same thing. He's gonna backup the users data tonight and nuke the user and public folder.

Go Speed
10-30-2008, 01:45 PM
blah.. thats kind of what i figured too.
I was hoping for some magic bullet.
But that many opinions in agreement can't be wrong.

Thanks for the input.

animal
10-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Any magic bullets would likely be messy and with some risk :) Stuff like that, you're talking about back door type operations. With something like exchange, you don't want to upset her by trying the back door :)

wrath
10-30-2008, 06:20 PM
I've found that in order to keep Exchange happy you either need to sacrifice a newb annually or lose your own sanity.

animal
10-31-2008, 07:39 AM
I've found that in order to keep Exchange happy you either need to sacrifice a newb annually or lose your own sanity.

That can be thwarted by upgrading to a newer version, but that only works once every 3 years.