PDA

View Full Version : Subaru help...

Cryptic
10-28-2008, 11:00 PM
My brother's '02 Imprezza RS (2.5L non turbo) is having some issues.
It has 105k on it.

First he was getting intermittent overheating. I don't believe it ever got overheated, he was able to get it pulled over and get the temp back down. We replaced the water pump since. The bearings on the old pump certainly felt like they seen better days. So the outlook looked promising. We could only be so lucky.

He's thrown a few codes like "Cylinder 3 misfire" and just today a knock code ( I didn't see the exact codes, this is what he told me)
We've replaced all the plugs, wires, and ignition coil.

We definitely have white smoke coming out the tail pipe. We looked at plug #3 and we have green build up on the plug (antifreeze is my assumption).

Is the most probable problem a head gasket? Is there anything else we should consider or look for? He got a quote from the dealer for $1200 for a head gasket replacement. We're not even 100% sure that is the problem.

Up for suggestions, comments, reccommendations, etc...

Thanks guys.

Car Guy
10-29-2008, 01:11 AM
Sure as hell sounds like a HG, and seeing is how that issue is common for those I would put $$$ on it.....

jbiscuit
10-29-2008, 07:51 AM
not too sure how "common" that is but I would think that intermittent overheating and crud on the plug, knock and misfire codes = head gasket time. Sorry to say but a head gasket is NOT an easy task on these motors.

If you want to have a guy do it that is "local" there is a well known Subie guru on the subaru boards I can try and get you contact info for....

Bart H
10-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Head gaskets are a common problem on the 2.5's, looks like it's time to go turbo!

Irish
10-29-2008, 11:07 AM
Time to trade her in :goof. In all seriousness though it might not be a bad idea. If he trades the car in and throws down the 1200 that it would cost to fix it as a down payment he could get something he might like better! Trailblazer SS! hint hint.

pOrk
10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
^ gay

Irish
10-29-2008, 11:15 AM
^^^ the gayest.

lilws6
10-29-2008, 11:40 AM
i'll agree with the headgasket seems like the m,ost probable with all the symptoms

HY35F2T
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
tell him ill buy him a bcm hoodie with his name on it for the rs.Id just get the headgasket done if its 1200 and sell it those things hold there value like a bitch.

Bart H
10-29-2008, 03:24 PM
an 02 wrx motor can be swapped into it for not much more than the cost of the head gasket fix and you then get some fun hp.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621180
^cheap motor $400

shoooo32
10-29-2008, 04:12 PM
an 02 wrx motor can be swapped into it for not much more than the cost of the head gasket fix and you then get some fun hp.

this appears to be the most fun solution...

Cryptic
10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
If you want to have a guy do it that is "local" there is a well known Subie guru on the subaru boards I can try and get you contact info for....

That would be great.

I'm glad everyone agrees its most likely a head gasket and not a list of could be's.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621180
^cheap motor $400

Any links on a WRX motor?? thats just the RS

WhatsADSM
10-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Yup I was really looking into getting a used suby for a daily, and I backed out because there are TONS of people with HG issues... Usually around the 80-100k mark. Starts out as intermittent overheating, sometimes missing, low coolant, etc... Many of the symptoms you are describing.

So yea I'm in agreement with everyone else. Sounds like HG to me. If you do decide to fix it be sure to do both headgaskets and check the heads/block for flatness. Or just do a 2.0T swap!

jbiscuit
10-30-2008, 07:30 AM
Yup I was really looking into getting a used suby for a daily, and I backed out because there are TONS of people with HG issues... Usually around the 80-100k mark. Starts out as intermittent overheating, sometimes missing, low coolant, etc... Many of the symptoms you are describing.

So yea I'm in agreement with everyone else. Sounds like HG to me. If you do decide to fix it be sure to do both headgaskets and check the heads/block for flatness. Or just do a 2.0T swap!

maybe on the nonturbo 2.5 motors....the EJ20 2.0 turbo motors have proven to be SUPER reliable.