PDA

View Full Version : An alternaitve to MAACO

TraceDaddy
10-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I bought a winter beater for this year. My intention was to dump it in the Spring but after taking it in for a quick inspection it appears it's in better shape than even I thought. I may change my mind and keep it. It does have a couple rust issues I should fix then. All I'm looking to do is fix the 3 rusted areas and give it a quick respray. This will never be a show truck. I'm just looking to extend it's life. MAACO is usually good for that kind fo thing. Anyone else have a good alternative?

Appreciate your thoughts.

pOrk
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Do it yourself, will turn out just as good as a maaco job would :)

Flicktitty
10-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Do it yourself, will turn out just as good as a maaco job would :)

Not entirely true. It's all in the prep work. alot of the people who get a Macco job is cause they want it CHEAP! and when they hear it's like $300 if you do the prep they cheap/skimp out on it. if you take your time and prep it, it doesn't look to bad. but i'd look to see if anyone paints cars on the side (maybe on CL?)

customgtp
10-27-2008, 10:22 PM
actually maaco is very good, what people dont understand is that they spray it how you bring it in.. if you forget a burger on the roof, your burger will be painted the color of your choice :) you do the prep work correctly and you will be very pleased with what they come up with.

Car Guy
10-27-2008, 10:36 PM
http://www.nerd-music.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/krylon2.jpg

moels
10-27-2008, 10:39 PM
I wouldn't mind doing the prep work on my z28 and renting a spray booth to do the painting. Is there a place that does that?

RanJer
10-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't mind doing the prep work on my z28 and renting a spray booth to do the painting. Is there a place that does that?

I know if you have a compressor (or can rent that too) you can rent a gun and do it in your garage.. possible, but i don't believe 100% legal...

Just tarp of all of your garage, space heat it up to a decent temp... and go for it.

As far as renting a booth to do it, I'm interested in knowing that too...

pOrk
10-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Its more then just prep work, and they cheapo paint jobs use single stage paint. I laugh every time I see a " Its all in the prep, maaco does a good job " bull shit. :)

Flicktitty
10-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Its more then just prep work, and they cheapo paint jobs use single stage paint. I laugh every time I see a " Its all in the prep, maaco does a good job " bull shit. :)

well my buddy had a Prelude painted. he took his time and it looked good for about 2 years, then he got it painted a differant color (Red then Orange then Lime Green)

moels
10-27-2008, 10:54 PM
I did the prep final prep work on my foxbody Mustang and Boucher ( who the ex worked for at the time ) did the paint. Turned out pretty nice, but I agree that they did a better job than a Maaco would have done.

I just got a compressor and have thought of doing it in my garage, but I am hesitent to do it myself. But hey, it's a project car and maybe I'll just go for it and let my oldest do the paint on it. He's the artist in the family anyway.

RanJer
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
got a compressor and have thought of doing it in my garage, but I am hesitent to do it myself. But hey, it's a project car and maybe I'll just go for it and let my oldest do the paint on it. He's the artist in the family anyway.

Honestly, I learned how to do body work and paint, by doing it. I went to WCTC for auto body & paint and learned nothing I couldn't learn myself. Go for it, try it. It's just paint, you can sand it off.

Cryptic
10-27-2008, 11:32 PM
if you get stuck or need advice on some body work... there's a few people here that could answer your question. It's not rocket science.. its just hard dirty work.

DIY FTW... just watch out for the tree huggers when your spraying your car in the drive way :goof ;) :nutkick

customgtp
10-27-2008, 11:40 PM
yes but even Maaco has grade levels of paint... if you get the $0.49 paint job yes you get a one stage omni paintjob lol

TraceDaddy
10-28-2008, 08:18 AM
There are plenty of listings on Craig's List. But I know less about them than I do MAACO. They could do even a worse job. Or take 3 months to finish or....

The rust work I'm talking about is more than surface rust as well. There are holes that need repair. I don't know that anythiing I do would last for more than a year and would probably look like crap.

Add to that my schedule and how close winter is and I don't want to putz with it myself.

I've thought about having someone just do the body work and then trying the paint myself but have been told it's probably not a good idea to spray automotive paint in a garage without proper ventilation etc. I'm not into blowing up my house either.

Here are a couple pics of the truck and you can see the rust I'm talking about.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/ldreifke/Picture002.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/ldreifke/Picture001.jpg

TraceDaddy
10-28-2008, 08:18 AM
There are plenty of listings on Craig's List. But I know less about them than I do MAACO. They could do even a worse job. Or take 3 months to finish or....

The rust work I'm talking about is more than surface rust as well. There are holes that need repair. I don't know that anythiing I do would last for more than a year and would probably look like crap.

Add to that my schedule and how close winter is and I don't want to putz with it myself.

I've thought about having someone just do the body work and then trying the paint myself but have been told it's probably not a good idea to spray automotive paint in a garage without proper ventilation etc. I'm not into blowing up my house either.

Here are a couple pics of the truck and you can see the rust I'm talking about. It's a little tough to see but it is rusted all the way through.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/ldreifke/Picture002.jpg
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w31/ldreifke/Picture001.jpg

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
It looks pretty decent. I don't even see the rust/holes in the pictures altho the pictures are shadowy. I guess I do see a messed up piece below the gas filler, surely it has the common Ford truck rust areas.
I would say drive it through the winter and worry about it next year. Depending on what it does over the winter you may still want to dump it.

That must be your Mustang I saw going to the yout football field on Hwy C Near Racine a week or 2 ago, vanity plate "GO DADDY". Cool plate. :thumbsup

TraceDaddy
10-28-2008, 08:58 AM
It is kind of hard to see in the pics. On the passenger side it's down behind the door on the rocker panel. On the drivers side it around the rear wheel opening and on the bottom of the quarter panel. You can't see it but on the hood there is an area as well. I guess I'm hoping to catch it before it spreads like wild fire.

And that would probably be me on Hwy C. Just about every Sunday. My son plays PeeWee football there at Haban Park. We lost in the Super Bowl last week though. Dang. Next year.

TraceDaddy
10-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Make that Saturday. I can't edit here apparently.