PDA

View Full Version : Saturn Windshield Wipers???

DirtyMax
10-27-2008, 03:45 PM
This might be hard to explain but I'll try. 1994 Saturn.

The wipers "rest" at about a 20 degree angle on the windshield so they're kind of in the line of sight but not really.

Now before you say move the arms lower, dummy... read on.

Then... When I turn them on, and on every "swipe" so to speak, they first cycle down to where I'd imagine they should be resting and then come back up but then they only go up to about 60 degrees as opposed to say 90 degrees (straight up and down) like wipers normally do. Because of this, they're barely clearing the area where I look out the window.

Does anyone get what I'm trying to illustrate? I'm thinking if I moved the wiper arms lower, then it would cover even less of the windshield. The whole "going down before it goes up" thing is the weird part. It's like the distance the wipers are going "down" first is about the same amount of distance that they are being shorted on the "up" swing.

I tried cruising the auto repair (specifically Saturn) boards quick to see if this was a common gremlin and got nothing really...

Thanks in advance!

Holeshot
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
If there is a pulse board in the motor housing that shorts out the arms don't park.. Either that or there is a ground issue. Or the transmission for the arms may be striped. I would look at those items.

Holeshot
10-27-2008, 07:01 PM
http://partimages2.genpt.com/partimages/170118.jpg

NAPA # 49714 pulse board included. Sell over the counter for $79.95 But thats not what BCMers Pay ;)

Russ Jerome
10-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Add an external ground to the motor chassis before
replacing the whole unit. Or as a test just take your
jumper cable and go ground to motor.

You will be surprised how many GM vehicle that fixxes
the "wont park" complaint or simple "wont run". Inside
the motor a ground corrodes, the ground is thru the harness
normaly not thru the motor body (rubber mounted).

lilws6
10-27-2008, 11:55 PM
i had this problem when i replaced the wiper trans in mine. it was just that i hadn't lined the trans up to the motor correctly i'de say check that first. the trans unbolts from the fire wall from underneathe the dash i belive you have to remove the defroster duct as well as the cowl on the outside of the car to get the whole asembly out

DirtyMax
10-28-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the input. I'll try re-grounding it one of these days and if that doesn't work, I'll go from there. :thumbsup