PDA

View Full Version : Stereo equipment questions

03CVLX
10-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I am in the very beginning planning stages of upgrading the stereo in my Crown Victoria. I am looking for suggestions on worthwhile upgrades.

As for what I want, I just want a decent quality mp3 deck that will work with my steering wheel radio controls. I want to upgrade the Speakers and possibly add component tweeters depending on if it works with everything else. I am not much for massive bass so I could take or leave a subwoofer, I use my trunk alot so If I do get one the box would have to fit on the upper shelf.

Also How nuts should I go with Dynamat or one of the knockoff versions of dynamat and are there any differences between them?

Anybody have any suggestions on where I should start?

Thanks,

Tom

kornholio788
10-22-2008, 06:40 PM
Good luck on finding a headunit to work with your stock steering wheel controls without pretty good modification. Most aftermarkets dont' work like that.

I would say go with a nice set of component speakers up front with the proper amp to power them. Maby upgrade the rear speakers to a nice set of coaxials or even something amped. And you will be quite happy with the sounds you are hearing(when properly tuned that is).

I have always been a fan of Kicker(components/amp I run now in my car), JL Audio, and some alpine stuff(I love their PDX series amps). It all depends what your budget is.

03CVLX
10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I suppose if the head unit had an easy to figure out remote that would work just as well. As for my budget, I haven't really gotten that far yet. I don't really know what im looking for yet, haha. I can tell you that I want decent quality, if I am gonna do this Im not gonna cut corners.

05caddyext
10-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Pioneer premier deck, thats the only way to go. Easy to use, factory 2 year warranty, nice designs, priced excellent.

In cars, I have always used Boston Accoustic. Good quality, sound is great, price is right.

Junky Giorgio
10-22-2008, 07:32 PM
check the classified section here. I'm selling all my car audio that I had in my car. For the serious car audio enthusiast, they know about RAINBOW AUDIO. I fell in love with these component speakers the moment I first heard them in a friends car.

03CVLX
10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
check the classified section here. I'm selling all my car audio that I had in my car. For the serious car audio enthusiast, they know about RAINBOW AUDIO. I fell in love with these component speakers the moment I first heard them in a friends car.

I saw the ads Junky, I will definitely consider them, just not sure how soon I will be able to start making the purchases. If they are still available when I have the cash together Ill be sure to get ahold of you.

lordairgtar
10-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Just buy up the old Kraco stuff at 7 mile fair

Philly-O
10-23-2008, 11:00 PM
come see us at Project 2, we will be happy to help you when you are ready to do your stereo.

Reverend Cooper
10-24-2008, 03:22 AM
would my 6 disc shaker 500 work in your car it is a good headunit and plays mps format

03CVLX
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
would my 6 disc shaker 500 work in your car it is a good headunit and plays mps format

Hmm, not really sure on that, Coop. Id have to do some checking around and find out. I know Ford does some weird stuff with their radios. The brain boxes are sometimes mounted in the trunk, and the head units are mostly glorified remote controls. I know my brothers new Taurus is like that, just not sure if the Mustang or my Vic is like that.

Waver
10-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Hmm, not really sure on that, Coop. Id have to do some checking around and find out. I know Ford does some weird stuff with their radios. The brain boxes are sometimes mounted in the trunk, and the head units are mostly glorified remote controls. I know my brothers new Taurus is like that, just not sure if the Mustang or my Vic is like that.

Coops might work for your car, however I dont know if the connections in the back are going to be the same.....quite possibly the one I just took out of my car would work, but it dosnt do mp3's.....Do you by chance have the premium sound system? If so you will need a head unit with at least two preouts on the back of it if you are going aftermarket, because the factory amps use that to get a signal.... Crutchfield has the harness that yo uwill need....If it were me, and I had more money than I did when I got my dvd player, I would go with the pioneed dvd/nav system (699) some alpine speakers, alpine amp for the sub and a r type or x type sub

03CVLX
10-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Thats Negative on the premium sound, it wasnt even available in 03 on the Crown Vics from what i hear. If I do swap the head unit, I will probably go aftermarket and get Bluetooth and HD radio & possibly Sirius. I already have a nice portable GPS and not to big of a fan of the in-dash ones. I like being able to throw it in my carry-on bag and telling Budget rent a car to stick there 12.99 per day gps unit.:rolf

I dunno maybe I should start with 4 really good quality speakers and decide on head unit later.:confused

zerepdivad
10-24-2008, 10:39 PM
Most aftermarket decks can be made to work with steering wheel controls but you just need to buy the interface. At Best Buy we carry them for pioneers and sony but you can get them for kenwoods, alpines, etc on many places online. And most decks now at the very least have an aux in for mp3 players or many are starting to come with usb as well. Just make sure that whatever place you end up getting the deck that they honor the manufacturer warranty and will swap it out for you instead of you having to send it out yourself. many smaller shops don't honor those. So that's definitely something to keep in mind.