PDA

View Full Version : New Updates on Lynn's Nephew

Fast95Stang
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
The following information is from Lynn. She just asked that I post it here for you. Thanks for your continued thoughts and prayers!

Hello everyone! I know that it has been a while since I posted any updates about my nephew. Things had been stable for about a week and a half, with no real changes, so I didn't post anything, plus I haven't had the time. However I did want to share the most recent updates that I have. Please remember that the first ones are the oldest ones. The very last one has some pretty amazing stuff in it! PLEASE read it! It will move you!

Hello everyone! I am sorry that it has been so long since I have sent out an update. Lots of things have been occupying my time. Anyway, I have two updates. Before I get to those, I want to thank all of you for your continued thoughts, prayers, and well wishes. Don, my brother, needs all the positive encouragement he can get to stay strong and focused during all of this. Your kindness is also still needed for Tyelar's long road to recovery.

Thursday October 9th.
A tracheotomy was performed during the day. This was done because the doctors were hoping to remove the respirator completely, however Tyelar's lungs are unable to handle breathing on their own. The reason for performing this is so they can insert the respirator tube through the trach, thus allowing Tyelar to speak (once he is strong enough and out of the drug induced coma). Everything else at this point is the same, with the exception that the pneumonia is gone.

Tuesday October 14th.
I spoke with my dad today, the update is as follows.
The doctors were able to take Tyelar off the drug induced coma yesterday. The respirator is now going through the tracheotomy hole.
As a result of being out the the coma, Tyelar is awake at will, however he is still heavily medicated for the pain, which caused him to sleep a lot. Sleep is good though! Also, he knows that it has been almost three weeks, but he doesn't really get it (the time loss).
He has made attempts to talk, however it is so low, it is almost quieter than a whisper. Don told my dad that you pretty much have to read his lips. Also when he talks it doesn't make any sense because he is out in "la la land" because of the medication.

As of this update the paralysis is the same. Only time and healing will tell what will happen.

Wednesday October 15th.
My dad talked to Don briefly today. However he needed to clarify things with Don before he could give me a clear update as to what is going on. I will update you once I hear from my dad or my brother.

Thanks again for all of your love, support, thoughts, and prayers during this hard time for my family. We all appreciate it very much!
I know that I had mentioned wanting to get a care package together for Tyelar's 18th birthday and I was wondering if anyone wanted to help out with this. Whether it is a comic book (ex Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, etc) playing cards, small card games, individual hand games, money for a larger gift once he is able to do things, anything will be appreciated. (New or gently used) Even though his birthday is October 25th, and he will still be in ICU, I wanted to get something together so that once he is able to receive things, he can have a birthday present. I don't know for sure what he will and won't be able to do once he is more alert and out of ICU, but I want him to have something to help occupy him when he is there alone. Thanks in advance to all of you!

I will be trying harder to keep everyone updated more often.

Thanks!

Ok, here is the update from Monday October 20th.
Good Afternoon everyone! I hope that you are all doing alright. I know that I am! My dad called me this morning with an amazing update on Tyelar! Before I share it with you, I want to thank all of you for your continued thoughts and prayers, well wishes and gifts. My brother has greatly appreciated everything!

Anyway, my wake up call this morning was well worth it! I had to get my pen and paper to write everything down and my dad told me that I didn't need to and I was worried. I told him too bad. Good thing I wrote everything down because I needed a happy and positive update!

Here you go, here is the latest I have from Monday October 20th.

My brother and Dad went to visit Tyelar and when they got there, they found Tye sitting up in his new bed (a regular hospital bed) waiting for them. When they arrived Don gave Tyelar and hug and he was able to hug back! My brother was VERY happy to have a hug! Not only was this shocking but the fact that he was no longer on the ventilator or the IV's. He has been off of the ventilator for over 48 hours now. He is talking, a lot, and making much more sense! He does still use the tracheotomy tube to help with breathing, but he is doing it all without the ventilator!

Yesterday morning Tyelar brushed his teeth all by himself (in bed of course) for the first time. Up until now the nurses were doing it for him. Tyelar is able to fold his arms across his chest and put them behind his head to prop his head up! He does have TOTAL control of his arms and wrists. However he still has little strength in his fingers, but that is also improving. Before my dad and brother left, Tyelar was able to operate (turn on and off with a sliding button) the suction machine that gets all the excess liquid out of his mouth! Right now they are focusing on small Physical Therapy on his arms and fingers. He is still on the feeding tube, which Tyelar cannot stand! He said it tastes gross, look gross, etc. After Don and Dad left yesterday, Dana called Don to tell them that the doctors were going to test Tyelar's swallowing capabilities to determine if they could remove the tube today!

Now if you aren't amazed enough, there is MORE!! Tyelar's girlfriend (Dana) has been tickling his feet. On Sunday he reacted by slightly moving his TOES!!! Yesterday Don was able to see them move, but my dad couldn't see from where he was sitting.

Over all Tyelar is in good spirits. He does have a little bit of the "Teenage Boy" cockiness, but that is to be expected. One thing that has been happening is that Tyelar is having nightmares about the accident. When he was talking about them yesterday he told Don and my dad, "I am so lucky to be alive." He also started talking about God and praying. He told them "I've got religion. I believe in God. I pray every night. I don't know if I am doing it right." He asked my dad, "Papa am I doing it right?" My dad told him that he was doing just fine, that there is no wrong way.

Another couple funny things is that my dad received a really nice watch from work a few years back. Tyelar knew about it and he brought it up yesterday. My dad told me that there is no way Tyelar could tell that he had it on yesterday. And sure enough, Tye was able to tell Dana, his girl friend about it! Also my dad had a 1992 Ford Thunderbird that was on its' last leg for a long time. Tyelar had been in it on a couple of occasions. Yesterday he asked my dad, "Papa, do you still have the same car?" My dad told him no and Tye said, "You got rid of the Thunder Truck?" (That is the nickname my dad had given the car.) My dad told him that he had a new car. Tyelar told him that he wasn't familiar with it and he would have to check it out some day.

Tyelar is able to receive cards now, NO balloons or flowers. If you would like his address please let me know, or you can send things through me still. He is able to read them on his own and yesterday was working on opening them himself, once they are out of the envelope.

Again, Don thanks everyone who has helped out. I thank everyone as well. This has been a huge undertaking for my family. Don continues to need all the support (financial, emotional, etc) he can get. I hope we can all come together and send him another amazing gift soon! Please let me know what you can do, even if it is a card for either one of them!

Tyelar's birthday is this Saturday. I am going to pick up a couple things at The Learning Shop (The store I work at part time) to send to him. We carry a lot of things that are good for manipulation with fingers. I will also get some card games to help Dana pass her time with Tyelar while he recovers. Please let me know if you want to contribute to this as well!

Thank you all for your continued love and support! Your thoughts, prayers, well wishes and gifts are making a difference! Keep it up! My family is so thankful for each and everyone of you!

Thanks!

Also I wanted to add that my brother needs all the thoughts and prayers that he can get. His job is in a freeze in New York state, and he has been without work since August 20th when he left for Georgia. Now that he is back in NY, he is trying to get it back. He is paying COBRA right now for himself and Tyelar. The cost is over $2000 per month. If there is anyway anyone can help him out, that would be greatly appreciated. My family knows that times are rough for everyone, but please think about it and see what you can do. Even a couple dollars will make a difference.

Thanks for keeping Tyelar and Don in your thoughts and prayers! It is working!
Lynn

flyin_blue_egg
10-22-2008, 10:23 AM
may i ask what happened?

johnny--2k
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Full story in the link, but it was a pretty bad car accident. The car spun, went in a ditch, hit a phone pole, which then landed on the car.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31889

Glad to see he is doing much better! Prayers and thoughts are still with your family. It's tough, but I'm sure he will get through it just fine. Sounds like he is a strong kid, and he has a family who loves him.

94greenbandit
10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Wow i am truly sorry to hear this happened but am glad and thankful that he is doing much better. You have my thoughts and prayers

srt4eh
10-23-2008, 05:44 AM
I'm glad to hear that things are going better. Definately praying for him.