PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk air compressors.

ND4SPD
10-21-2008, 05:28 PM
Well, now that the garage is finished... I need an air compressor so I need some help with suggestions because I don't know a whole lot about them other than I like the 2-stage compressors because you can actually hear yourself think when they run.

I guess I don't need a HUGE one... 60 gallons is probably too big for what I'll need... some mobility might be nice. Uses? Well, air tools of course... impact ratchets, cutoff tools etc... filling tires and the like. Probably needs to be 110... don't think I'm going to have 220 put into the garage because other than a compressor I don't really have any need for 220.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916778000P

This craftsman one looked alright... though pricey for its size. Anyone have any other suggestions? I was looking on craigslist too, but I'm not really seeing much. At least not anything I'd be comfortable filling with air and having it not explode.

Prince Valiant
10-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Go big...it wasn't too much more for me to get a 60 gallon, and it's just right. I put mine in my basement under the stairs and I just run air to where I am via hoses...so it's not too loud, plus on the rare occassion I need it, I can run air in the house fairly easy. I've got a Husky...10+years and it still works great.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Oil-Less-Oil-Free=Cant hear jack junk and will implode in short order, gotta have oil in a compressor. Think Crapsman oil type compressors are red.

shoooo32
10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
for the money the $300 home depot husky can't be beat. For weekend duty 60 gallons would be more than enough tank.

Holeshot
10-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Agreed My compressor is in the basement and piped to the garage. I have a 30 gal tho.

ND4SPD
10-21-2008, 08:04 PM
for the money the $300 home depot husky can't be beat. For weekend duty 60 gallons would be more than enough tank.

I don't see a 60 gallon for $300... but this one caught my interest:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100063473

I don't think I'm going to do a 60 gallon... that's going to require 240v for sure. I guess I'll see what it's going to cost to run 220 out to the garage (its a detached garage).

pOrk
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
You don't want one on wheels. Mount it to the floor and run a pipe the length of your garage a slight angle with a U at the bottom end for the water to settle, then off the top you make a connection and then run another pipe to the other side of the garage and you have two points in which to connect your air. Good to go.

And a 60 gallon is nice, a 30 isn't enough for me and I don't use it that much.

Al
10-21-2008, 11:42 PM
Don't buy the Craftsman single stage compressors. They are very LOUD!!!

Buy a two stage compressor if you want to be able to talk over it.

ponyride00
10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
My Craftsman is loud as hell but it works just fine. If you plan on using it a lot I would get something less noisy.

indyzmike
10-22-2008, 04:20 AM
Beware of buying a 110v comressor that draws too much current. Resetting the breaker all the time gets old. Also, remember to check what duty cycle it is. 10% duty cycle is 10 mins running time/ 50 mins rest, I think.

220v in the garage FTW.

jbiscuit
10-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Quincy Air Compressors are really nice...a 60 gallon two stage is a nice unit from them. Would be a hell of a compressor for the garage actually. Some of the I/R units are nice too but spend some money and get a good one. American made FTW if you can afford it

DirtyMax
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
You don't want one on wheels.

QFT

I bought one last year on Black Friday from Home Depot and the damn thing ends up 20 feet away from where it started every time I use it... :goof

SLOWC5
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I would decide on the compressor you think is right and buy the next size larger. I have a 10hp 120 gallon IR at the shop, that bitch can keep up!!! When I lived at home My dad purchased a 60 gallon 5hp IR and running a cutoff wheel the compressor had a hard time keeping up. cut off tools and grinders use alot of CFM. You dont want to wait around for the compressor to build pressure back up all day, makes for a very long day.

ND4SPD
10-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Well, first of all I have to see what it's going to cost to get the electrical finished off (and see what running 220 is going to cost). Somehow the electrical portion of the bid got left off the final number... so what I ended up with is a garage... with an electric opener... and no power, no wiring, no nothing.:rolleyes:

Seems like all of the 60 gallon compressors are 220... so If 220 looks like it's going to cost too much, that's going to be a no-go for the this house/garage (remember it's a detached garage).

shoooo32
10-22-2008, 02:07 PM
I would decide on the compressor you think is right and buy the next size larger. I have a 10hp 120 gallon IR at the shop, that bitch can keep up!!! When I lived at home My dad purchased a 60 gallon 5hp IR and running a cutoff wheel the compressor had a hard time keeping up. cut off tools and grinders use alot of CFM. You dont want to wait around for the compressor to build pressure back up all day, makes for a very long day.

we run a 5hp IR T30 with a 80 gallon tank at the house and it was just ok until we added a 100 gallon holding tank. Now you can have 2 die grinders running wide open for a while with no problem.

jbiscuit
10-22-2008, 03:47 PM

+1 :thumbsup

SSDude
10-22-2008, 04:14 PM
You really need to take into consideration how your going to use it. If your going to run tools that take a lot of cfm you will want to buy a compressor that can keep up. Doing body work, sanders, DA's cut offs all take a lot of air.
Like someone mentioned earlier you have to look at duty cycle as to how long you can us it per hour. If you run it to much bad things can happen. Motors burn up etc.
Depending on your usage just a hose might do. If your painting or using high cfm tools you want to set up the plumbing to minimize or even eliminate moisture.
If your just the occasional user with the ratchet or impact a smaller one may fit your needs.
I've got a small setup with just the hose. The other day I was using a die grinder on mine and i could run it down in a short time. Pissed me off when it started spitting water out the exhaust as well. I'll live with it cause i don't do that all the time.
If i wanted to do body work i'd have to upgrade.

Don't just think a bigger tank is your solution. You have to look at cfm delivery and duty cycle for your intended use.:thumbsup

0TransAm0
10-22-2008, 04:36 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916762000P?mv=rr

thats what i got the 33 gal. i use it for working on the car.. it gets the job done just fine i usually don't leave it running i fill it use it till the pressure gets down to about 50psi and then fill it again... if your going to use it here and thier you shouldn't need anything bigger but if you plan on useing it everyday or doing huge jobs then go bigger...

Karps TA
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Don't buy the Craftsman single stage compressors. They are very LOUD!!!

Buy a two stage compressor if you want to be able to talk over it.

Some single stages are quieter then others, but still loud. I have a Husky that is so much more quiet then the Craftsman it replaced. It doesn't bother me at all, but my friends think it's loud. So it's definetly what your used to.

ND4SPD
10-22-2008, 05:58 PM
I'm going to be more of an occasional user... I'm not out there wrenching on my car 24/7... I just don't think I can justify a 60 gal. My brother does more wrenching than I do and he only has a 110... probably a 25 to 33 gal.

BoosTT
10-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Check out northern tool. They have some really nice name air compressors.