PDA

View Full Version : Explorer intake questions?

xxtremeteam
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Ok over winter i plan to get a explorer intake for my 5.0 mustang,very tight budget which is why i am going this route. My question is...

1. are there any differances between a explorer intake and mountaineer? is one better than the other and why?

2.what year was the best for this swap?

3.should i reuse my stock mustang throttle body or upgrade to 65mm or 70mm?

4.best place to find a good used intake possibly the heads as well?

Thanks eric

GRAMPS SS
10-21-2008, 06:14 PM
<<<<<locks mountaineer in garage...

Waver
10-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok over winter i plan to get a explorer intake for my 5.0 mustang,very tight budget which is why i am going this route. My question is...

1. are there any differances between a explorer intake and mountaineer? is one better than the other and why?

Thanks eric

eric, there is no difference in the explorer/mounteneer intake....same engine, same truck, just different names. You can use the stock tb, but if you want to get the full benifit out of it, go with the 65mm, 70 might be overkill for your engine. All the years are the same, just find one and pull it off....and I still say schills to get the stuff, but you might want to clean up the intake a little bit as well as gebuild the heads, just to be on the safe side

xxtremeteam
10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
i expect to have to sand blast and paint it when i get one thats simple busy work and we have a blast cabnet at my dads it would fit in just have to come up with the intake also should i use a spacer between upper and lower intake?

GRAMPS SS
10-22-2008, 05:38 PM
have it powder coated Ford met silver...NOT PAINT....had my TPI done in that...looked good....but not paint.....

Sprayaway Fox
10-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Going For the GTP iron heads are we?:thumbsup The spacer is supposed to make intake runner longer( like a tunnel ram) so youll see a LIL' more top end. Usually everybody uses them to clear non HO tall valve covers. A throttle body will only flow as much as the engine requires to operate so if you can snag a big one for cheap go for it.:thumbsup Ya dont get donk for used fox performance parts compared to purchase price. As gramps said powdercoat it. If you paint it and get some coolant/ gas on it its fugged. I used to paint my beat up SBC intakes to make them look good. After about a year they look like crap. The last years explorers/mountaneers will usually have GTP heads they look like Gramps truck if its a 5.0 . Than its a GTP head "fastburn" head. See if you can grab the disc brakes to then ya got 5 lug discs for your stang also.

Waver
10-23-2008, 09:00 AM
the spacer will also help with heat...it will isonlat the upper untake from the lower one, thus making the air charge a little cooler....just somthing I picked up from the 88...

as far as the heads go, you will have to change out the headers for some gt40p spacific ones, as the standard 5.0 ones wont line up right

GRAMPS SS
10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
Going For the GTP iron heads are we?:thumbsup The spacer is supposed to make intake runner longer( like a tunnel ram) so youll see a LIL' more top end. Usually everybody uses them to clear non HO tall valve covers. A throttle body will only flow as much as the engine requires to operate so if you can snag a big one for cheap go for it.:thumbsup Ya dont get donk for used fox performance parts compared to purchase price. As gramps said powdercoat it. If you paint it and get some coolant/ gas on it its fugged. I used to paint my beat up SBC intakes to make them look good. After about a year they look like crap. The last years explorers/mountaneers will usually have GTP heads they look like Gramps truck if its a 5.0 . Than its a GTP head "fastburn" head. See if you can grab the disc brakes to then ya got 5 lug discs for your stang also.

your not getting my brakes either nor my factory look alike headers...truck is now put where you can't find it ...:thumbsup

DurtyKurty
10-23-2008, 08:21 PM

Thanks eric

1. No difference between mountaineer and explorer.

2. early intakes that were used with the gt-40 heads had an internal egr passage. with the later intakes used with the gt-40p heads, the egr passage was omitted.

3. the opening on the intake is 65mm. if you can find a complete intake from an explorer, you can convert the explorer one (65mm) to use on your mustang. (that is what i use)

4. My basement. :)

Sprayaway Fox
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
your not getting my brakes either nor my factory look alike headers...truck is now put where you can't find it ...:thumbsup

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf No worries:thumbsup