PDA

View Full Version : WTF???? Is this completely slanted or is it just me?

mynameismike65
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIPBP-9TUnQ&feature=related
So I was watching this comparison vid of the new GT500 KR and the 2008 Z06.......either they had the guy who ran the GTR from Rosen drive the KR or something was wrong. They said the 0-60 was 4.9 sec:wtf and it ran a 12.8 1/4 @ at 114 MPH :wtf My STOCK GT gets to 60 ~4.9-5.1 sec and runs mid-low 13's at ~103-105, and thats with 300 hp as compared to 540 for the KR. The KR is capable of running 0-60 ~4.1 seconds and a 1/4 of 11.9 @120. I get so sick of these biased bs comparisons/reviews from C&D, ect. I cant even read that shit because it just pisses me off. All they do is bash domestics, especially Mustangs. I know Mustangs arnt the fastest cars out there and theres alot better, but they deserve more respect then that! :flipoff2: C&D/Edmunds/R&T

Irish
10-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Relax... It was probably a shitty driver.

GTSLOW
10-21-2008, 02:26 PM
What I'm confused about is a stock 06 GT running a "mid-low 13's."

mynameismike65
10-21-2008, 02:28 PM
^^^ why is that confusing

mynameismike65
10-21-2008, 02:40 PM
13.4-13.5 a resonable time for a stock GT with a compitant driver

Mr. Brett
10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
NO Mustang is even in the same league as a Vette, I don't care how overpriced it is. Deal.

GTSLOW
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I think a GT500KR would far surpass a reg vette. Although heavy and may not do as well on a road course.

Mr. Brett
10-21-2008, 02:48 PM
A base Vette is better than a GT500KR in every conceivable way. That's my opinion, but still.

GTSLOW
10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
13.4-13.5 a resonable time for a stock GT with a compitant driver

Dunno the lowest I've seen one run is in the 13.5 area and that had exhaust I think. Although I guess anything is possible.

BAD LS1
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
08+ LS3 Vette's are in that low 12 sec-high 11s arena:
11.71 @ 119.94 - AndrewZPSU - 08 M6
12.16 @ 116.54 - Vinsane112 - 08 A6 2.73 These times are lifted from a corvette site with bone stock cars. That will run you 45K and some change for a base, not bad considering how much are you get for the price when talking affordable sports cars.

Long live pushrod mills!

BAD LS1
10-21-2008, 02:58 PM
Dunno the lowest I've seen one run is in the 13.5 area and that had exhaust I think. Although I guess anything is possible.

See this article:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/features/0808gmhtp_2008_pontiac_g8_gt/index.html

With a capable driver, they can run low 13's (with mods). But the norm can barely get them into the 13's, Good for stock LT1's to finally have something to play with again.

"Just as we had predicted, Ford Boy showed up at E-Town with a modified Mustang. Though the racing was still close, Pontiac prevailed in a best of three matchup: by foot-braking to 2,000 rpm and rolling into the throttle, the G8 pulled a best 60-foot of 2.05, went 0-60 in five seconds flat, and ran a 13.16 at 106.68, while the Mustang was only able to get a 13.32 at 103.11. GM Power!"

GTSLOW
10-21-2008, 03:21 PM
But the norm can barely get them into the 13's, Good for stock LT1's to finally have something to play with again.

That's the money!

shoooo32
10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
why do magazines always compare vettes to mustangs? The Mustang always gets stomped and mustang guys get all bent.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
why do magazines always compare vettes to mustangs? The Mustang always gets stomped and mustang guys get all bent.

what else can they compare the mustang or the vette to? unfortunetly for the past few years there has been nothing to compare the two against other than each other. the vette is an amazing car. the mustang is a mustang. can it be a great car, well certainly it can, but comparing the two is laughable. very few people will actually shop one against the other. if they would, nobody would buy cars like mine, LOL, they would just buy a vette :chair:

they shouldn't be compared IMO, but when they do i don;t get all butt hurt :)

mynameismike65
10-21-2008, 03:55 PM
I wasnt pissed that they compared the two I was pissed that they gave entirely wrong info on the Mustang.

Waver
10-21-2008, 06:13 PM
well the numbers are a little off on the kr.......it should be right there with the zo6, as tested by muscle mustangs and fast fords, however they drive mustangs all day, and should be able to launch that car well...However, being a mustang guy I will say this.....the corvette should be compaired with a damn porsche....the vette is a far superior car in many ways. Compair a mustang against a challenger, the new camaro, or that four door mistake that dodge made, the charger srt8

STANMAN
10-21-2008, 06:37 PM
A base Vette is better than a GT500KR in every conceivable way. That's my opinion, but still.

The GT500KR looks better. You aren't going to see 500 GT500KR's every time you go to the store for milk either. 5 generations of Vettes, and the last 2 look identical. So it's not better in ever conceivable way, the KR is way more rare, and way more distinctive than any vette. Hell, even a ZR1 still LOOKS like a Vette, does the KR look like a regular Mustang?? Oh, and I just noticed you said a BASE vette, which makes your statement even more outlandish. If you don't think that with equal drivers a KR would blow the doors off a base Vette, you are higher than a giraffes ass.

Mr. Brett
10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
Every conceivable way.

STANMAN
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Every conceivable way.

Put a base vette into storage for 30 years right next to a GT500KR and see which one is worth more. The good thing about the Vette is you could drive it those 30 years and it would depreciate roughly the same as if it was stored. Vettes=bellybuttons, everyone has one. GT500KR's, not so much.

Mr. Brett
10-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Ok. My opinion is unchanged.

STANMAN
10-21-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok. My opinion is unchanged.

Opinions are like bellybuttons to. I mean I have one. You have one. They just aren't the same.:rolf

Mr. Brett
10-21-2008, 07:03 PM
Exactly.

Lash
10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Put a base vette into storage for 30 years right next to a GT500KR and see which one is worth more.

Pretty obvious when you're putting a base model car up against a limited edition collectors model....isn't it?

How well do you think the ZO6....or even ZR1 will age in 30 years?

Oranges to oranges my friend.

Yellow2k1vette
10-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Put a base vette into storage for 30 years right next to a GT500KR and see which one is worth more. The good thing about the Vette is you could drive it those 30 years and it would depreciate roughly the same as if it was stored. Vettes=bellybuttons, everyone has one. GT500KR's, not so much.I kinda thought that might be the one conceivable advantage this overpriced Mustang might have....resale/collector value..

But using your example, I see what "normal" '67 Vettes are trading for compared to the very few old-skool GT500KR's...and now I fully agree with Brett. :rolf

STANMAN
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Pretty obvious when you're putting a base model car up against a limited edition collectors model....isn't it?

How well do you think the ZO6....or even ZR1 will age in 30 years?

Oranges to oranges my friend.

I didn't put those two in the same basket, Mr. Brett did. Don't let his folly transfer onto me.

And to yellow2K1vette, if you think a "normal" 67 Vette and a real GT500KR from the same era are similar in price you must not watch much Barrett Jackson. Now some of the limited edition Vettes (like the COPO's and such), yeah, but to say a run of the mill 327 Vette and a GT500KR are similarly priced is not so accurate.

Yellow2k1vette
10-21-2008, 07:22 PM
you must not watch much Barrett Jackson.I do sometimes watch it...It's entertainment, nothing more. nothing less..

But in no way is it representative of typical trading values.

:haveabeer

boostin350z
10-22-2008, 03:44 PM
the 1 thing that i dont care much for about the gt500/kr, is how vulnerable the motor is to heatsoak. after a few laps, it was showing significantly lower track times, as much as 4-5 seconds slower, whereas no other car in the entire review was affected as much. overall, very nice cars, and the motors are badass, but IMHO corvette > mustang anyday.

shoooo32
10-22-2008, 03:50 PM
The KR was never designed to be a track car. Only to be raced from stop light to stop light. Chevy learned a ton from the C5R and used it to make the C6 a track day maven. No comparison. The magazines need pretty cars for the cover so they run BS stories.

HITMAN
10-22-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIPBP-9TUnQ&feature=related
So I was watching this comparison vid of the new GT500 KR and the 2008 Z06.......either they had the guy who ran the GTR from Rosen drive the KR or something was wrong. They said the 0-60 was 4.9 sec:wtf and it ran a 12.8 1/4 @ at 114 MPH :wtf My STOCK GT gets to 60 ~4.9-5.1 sec and runs mid-low 13's at ~103-105, and thats with 300 hp as compared to 540 for the KR. The KR is capable of running 0-60 ~4.1 seconds and a 1/4 of 11.9 @120. I get so sick of these biased bs comparisons/reviews from C&D, ect. I cant even read that shit because it just pisses me off. All they do is bash domestics, especially Mustangs. I know Mustangs arnt the fastest cars out there and theres alot better, but they deserve more respect then that! :flipoff2: C&D/Edmunds/R&T

Wah. The drivers were the same for both cars, so it was an apples to apples comparison for both cars.

My Cobra is lighter than the GT5000lb KR and makes CONSIDERABLY more RWHP, yet my best ET is only 4 tenths quicker in the quarter on my Sumitomos. Launching a heavy, over-powered, under-tired car ain't easy. You can't go by what Evan Smith over @ MM&FF can do. The guy is the GOD of Mustang magazine drivers and is consistently quicker and faster driving these pigs than the rest of us mere mortals are. If he drove a new Z/06, he'd probably be knocking on the door of the 10 second zone with it...

BTW, I don't care what the magazines say your GT is capable of, what is YOUR best ET and MPH with YOU driving YOUR car?

HITMAN
10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Put a base vette into storage for 30 years right next to a GT500KR and see which one is worth more. The good thing about the Vette is you could drive it those 30 years and it would depreciate roughly the same as if it was stored. Vettes=bellybuttons, everyone has one. GT500KR's, not so much.

The Vette will be. The Shlubby will have rusted away down to it's carbon fiber hood and therefore have no residual value....http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/flipbird.gif

mynameismike65
10-22-2008, 11:34 PM
^^Well if they are going to review both cars and compare performance, and the driver couldnt launch it, they should have got someone that could drive the car to its full potential in order to compare them. Did you see that launch in the KR? He was spinning like crazy. Yeah it may have been the same driver but the cars are completely different animals, therefore the same driver "control" means nothing. Its not the fact that it was the same person, but they should have gotten two drivers with experience in both cars to test them properly.

mynameismike65
10-22-2008, 11:35 PM
[QUOTE=HITMAN;455590]The Vette will be. The Shlubby will have rusted away down to it's carbon fiber hood and therefore have no residual value....http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/flipbird.gif[/QUOTE

Thats not coming out of your ass:goof

HITMAN
10-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Did you see that launch in the KR? He was spinning like crazy.

The side by side launch was done for visual effect. If you watch the individual runs they both had a fair amount of wheel-spin, with the GT2TONS having a shade more, due to it's having less rubber, more torque and more weight. Hell, the 'Stang even has a basic launch control, and it can't match the 'Vette.

Look dude, it's just simple physics. 35 more hp is not going to offset a 900lb weight disadvantage, at least not in this dimension. Even giving you what you ask for (expert driver) will still result in a massive win for the Z. The ETs will just be more impressive. For both cars...

STANMAN
10-23-2008, 12:48 AM
The Vette will be. The Shlubby will have rusted away down to it's carbon fiber hood and therefore have no residual value....http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/images/smilies2/flipbird.gif

The hood by itself would probably be worth more than the Vette:rolf

wrath
10-23-2008, 07:43 AM
You can figure out what most cars will run based on horsepower and weight. Mustangs keep getting fatter like all of Chrysler's products.

The Mustang has two more seats than the Vette, not exactly a fair comparison.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-23-2008, 08:29 AM
nobody on here that i know of owns either of the cars tested........SO WHO CARES???

mynameismike65
10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
The side by side launch was done for visual effect. If you watch the individual runs they both had a fair amount of wheel-spin, with the GT2TONS having a shade more, due to it's having less rubber, more torque and more weight. Hell, the 'Stang even has a basic launch control, and it can't match the 'Vette.

Look dude, it's just simple physics. 35 more hp is not going to offset a 900lb weight disadvantage, at least not in this dimension. Even giving you what you ask for (expert driver) will still result in a massive win for the Z. The ETs will just be more impressive. For both cars...

Yeah I know the Vette will come out on top and Im not saying otherwise. I give respect where its due and therefore I dont talk shit about Vettes/LS1 powered cars. I just was irritated that they made a review about the new KR for everyone to see and make opinions about and didnt even do a good job testing it. I know the Vette will out perform it, but its like stated above they are comparing a mustang vs a corvette, not exactly cars from the same class. I would have just liked to see the KR show its full potential;)

07ROUSHSTG3
10-23-2008, 09:49 AM
the KR wins all competitions because KITT decided to sport one.

Mr. Brett
10-23-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh yeah, this is definitely awesome.....

http://www.chokethebobcat.com/pics/knightridersucks.jpg

GTSLOW
10-23-2008, 10:02 AM
I didn't put those two in the same basket, Mr. Brett did. Don't let his folly transfer onto me.

And to yellow2K1vette, if you think a "normal" 67 Vette and a real GT500KR from the same era are similar in price you must not watch much Barrett Jackson. Now some of the limited edition Vettes (like the COPO's and such), yeah, but to say a run of the mill 327 Vette and a GT500KR are similarly priced is not so accurate.

A new vette sold for 1mil on barret does that mean they're all worth that :confused

mynameismike65
10-23-2008, 10:11 AM

or you could look at a pic of the "real" kitt car
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/knight-rider-kitt-mustang-2.jpg

CobraSnake
10-23-2008, 10:15 AM

thats just the car in "pursuit" mode. It looks sexy as hell normal though.

http://www.daemonstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/knight_rider_kitt1.jpg

STANMAN
10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
A new vette sold for 1mil on barret does that mean they're all worth that :confused

That wasn't a run of the mill base Vette, that was the 1st of the new ZR1's, so even that isn't a fair compo. Hell, I just watched a run of the mill new Challenger sell for over 400K on Barrett Jackson. Some of the prices are way out of line, but most of the sales on that show are a pretty good indicator of what top tier collector cars are bringing.