PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy paint

LIZMO
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm gonna be painting the wheels on my car a pink, some engine pieces, and some suspension parts. and im looking to buy a gallon of paint.
for one i don't know what type of paint to get for those things
and two i dont really know any good places to go.
what type of paint do you guys recommend and do you have any good places to recommend? not really a money issue on the paint, but something reasonable.

thanks in advance.!

pOrk
10-20-2008, 11:29 PM
You will need primer, base, and clear coat if you want to do it with 3 stage. Otherwise just primer and base if you use lacquer.

88Nightmare
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
the clearcoat will require a hardener and the base may require a reducing a reducer. talk to holeshot dan, he can get you paint from napa, or, check out Milwaukee Paint

Milwaukee Paint:

6705 West Beloit Rd
West Allis, WI
414-541-8170

or

3532 W. North Ave
Milwaukee, WI
414-445-1500

both locations open mon-fri 8am-5pm, saturday 9-12 :D

michelle
10-21-2008, 06:44 AM
Call Dan (Holeshot)!

Are you thinking a bright, hot pink?

Cryptic
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Get a hold of Dan. You can save some cash and just spray a single stage paint. (It will shine without a clear coat)

Do you realize how much a gallon of paint is? As in, that covers a lot of car, probably 1.5X over

I bought a gallon of two stage paint through Dan. The paint mixes 50/50 with reducer so I have 2 gallons sprayable. <-- That's alot of paint.

shoooo32
10-21-2008, 09:01 AM
napa paint ftw!

kornholio788
10-21-2008, 09:09 AM
I work for Autopaint and supply. We sell all the top paint lines. But I can also mix you some cheaper single stage(which will probably be the best bet for what you are doing)

As said a gallon is a lot of paint. I have a couple different paint lines that are decently cheap. Omni which is PPGs economy line and Centari which is a popular DuPont single stage. I can hook you up hardcore on the actual color itself and then I can give you a nice discount on the hardener and reducer. But honestly with the centari many of my customers don't use the hardener. It still drys fine just takes a little longer. If you decide to go with me let me know via PM. Like I said with the actual color itself I can give a big discount on. And I can get anything else for ya you need. I have a very big color chip book that you can choose a pink out of if you would like to stop by the store and check them out.

3041 Hamilton Ave,
Racine, WI

Let me know

Dan

LIZMO
10-21-2008, 12:08 PM
thank u guys!!
and michelle... i actually plan on doing a darker metallic pink, cuz idk how bright pink would look on my dark gray car...

and i kinda was looking for just a one shot done with paint, i don't really know how to paint stuff like this, im used to using a paintbrush on paper. haha.
i have no idea how much paint is, but maybe i don't need a whole gallon, just enough for 4 wheels (the meshies) and the spark plug cover on the new motor, the rear sway bar and probably some other parts here and there. :)
and thanks dan ill PM ya later. i got some questions.
and ill PM the other dan holeshot, thanks guys/gal!

wrath
10-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Dupont Centari. It goes on nice as long as you don't get too heavy. Without hardener it stays green for about a week. It's touchable in about a day though so you can start re-assembly pretty quick. Since it's a pretty soft enamel it'll take a lot of abuse from rocks and whatnot. It's pretty easy to burn when wheeling it out though.

PPG Omni is a piece of shit. It doesn't spray well, it doesn't lay well, and is about as durable as aluminum foil vs 80 grit sandpaper. However, if you put a clearcoat over it then it's fine. Just don't use it as a single stage. You'll wish you spent $75 on rattlecans and a case of Busch Light because it'll look about the same.

Clearcoat will cover up a lot of mistakes, so keep that in mind. Basically, a blind quadriplegic on meth can paint a satisfactory two-stage job. You wouldn't believe how crappy the first stage looks on the assembly line at an assembly plant.

Single stage is pretty difficult. If it's your first attempt or you're changing the color of the car I'd recommend disassembling the vehicle. It makes it a lot easier to avoid runs, bugs, dragging clothing, lint, the fscking air hose, et cetera. Single stage paint is also a lot easier for touch-ups, you can fix a lot by wetsanding and wheeling out, and it's easier to match later if you run out of spare paint.

I recommend not painting a pearl or metal flake until you've mastered solids. And then I'd still be skeered.

kornholio788
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Dupont Centari. It goes on nice as long as you don't get too heavy. Without hardener it stays green for about a week. It's touchable in about a day though so you can start re-assembly pretty quick. Since it's a pretty soft enamel it'll take a lot of abuse from rocks and whatnot. It's pretty easy to burn when wheeling it out though.

Bingo.

PPG Omni is a piece of shit. It doesn't spray well, it doesn't lay well, and is about as durable as aluminum foil vs 80 grit sandpaper. However, if you put a clearcoat over it then it's fine. Just don't use it as a single stage. You'll wish you spent $75 on rattlecans and a case of Busch Light because it'll look about the same.

Yes, omni isn't the greatest shit in the world. Ok it kinda sucks. But it is an option for people going really cheap. I can her the color for cheaper than 75.

Clearcoat will cover up a lot of mistakes, so keep that in mind. Basically, a blind quadriplegic on meth can paint a satisfactory two-stage job. You wouldn't believe how crappy the first stage looks on the assembly line at an assembly plant.

Not nessesarly. It will cover some. But not ALOT I would say.

Single stage is pretty difficult. If it's your first attempt or you're changing the color of the car I'd recommend disassembling the vehicle. It makes it a lot easier to avoid runs, bugs, dragging clothing, lint, the fscking air hose, et cetera. Single stage paint is also a lot easier for touch-ups, you can fix a lot by wetsanding and wheeling out, and it's easier to match later if you run out of spare paint.

Not true. Single stage is just as easy as base clear. Infact it is easier imo. For a beginner it is one less step to fuck up. As for matching. It is just like any other color. Isn't any easier per say.

I recommend not painting a pearl or metal flake until you've mastered solids. And then I'd still be skeered.

This I will agree with. But once you get it down it is pretty easy.

Holeshot
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM
I can do you a Mary Kay pink in a single stage. Either in Acrylic enamel or Urethane enamel . Urethane is a harder finish then Acrylic What I made Andy is Base Clear with a ratio of 1 to 1 on the color. That is why it made 2 gal spray-able. Our value paint mixes 8 parts paint 4 parts reducer and 1 part hardener.

LIZMO
10-21-2008, 03:45 PM
is the mary kay pink really light pink? i want a darker pink...

and the value paint.. does that mean all ineed is that to spray what i want painted?

kornholio788
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
is the mary kay pink really light pink? i want a darker pink...

and the value paint.. does that mean all ineed is that to spray what i want painted?

Yes it is really light pink. Most commonly known for the color that mary kay sprays cadillacs that they give to big customers that buy so many products from them.

Holeshot
10-21-2008, 06:30 PM
How much are you painting. You will need a self etching primer for bear metals. Prep is just as important as the paint. Any plastics parts should have a flexible additive either in the primer or paint. A good adhesion promoter may me used also.

Clean, clean ,clean. I can't stress that enough. In line moisture traps / air filter on air lines are a must to prevent fish eyes and debris in your paint job. When painting bend your wrist as you sweep side to side unless your blending, so you get a nice even coat.

Mary Kay Pink is a tad light But If you find a chip you like I can match it. Or your welcome to come to the store this weekend and I would walk you through any questions you have and More color chip you can shake a stick at.

Call me any time at the store 8-5 M-S and Sundays 10 -4 ph 414.762.6272

Dan :)