PDA

View Full Version : 'Local' Pick`n Pull Junkyards.....

Car Guy
10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Just looking to see if there are any that I don't know of, and when I say Pick`n Pull I'm referring to the ones to where you can walk through the yard at will and pull parts yourself if you choose to do so.....

The two that I've been to are AL's in Franklin :flipoff2: and the Pick`n Pull (actual name of it) in Waukegan :headbang . I just looked on Pick`n Pull's website and the next closest location is in Summit-IL, but it's a two hour drive each way. Two hours each way is the farthest I'd like to drive and that would only happen if I had some prior knowledge on if said JY was worth the drive or not. I'm not really looking for anything is particular at the moment, just like to walk around and 'window' shop.....:)

GRAMPS SS
10-19-2008, 09:41 PM
there's one in...cambellsport,one up near port...and one near the dells where we found alot of parts for the 63 restore we did....i'll find out for sure where they are..my buddy tim drove...so i'll ask him...

subliminal1284
10-19-2008, 09:50 PM
There is Sturtervant auto salvage and Pick n Pull right on the border of IL off I-94

Car Guy
10-19-2008, 10:45 PM
there's one in...cambellsport

That would be Kewaskum Auto Recyclers on Hwy V (just outside of Cambellsport) and I completely forgot about that one. I was there a few years ago after coming across it by chance on our way back from our family's cabin in Dundee, WI.....

There is Sturtervant auto salvage and Pick n Pull right on the border of IL off I-94

I didn't know that they would let you walk through and pull your own parts.....

Slow Joe
10-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Al's on 124th in Brookfield? They were pick n pull last time I was there... (4 years ago :rolf)

Burgandy85SS
10-20-2008, 12:12 AM
The two that I've been to are AL's in Franklin :flipoff2: and the Pick`n Pull (actual name of it) in Waukegan :headbang .

How big is the one in Waukegan and you go out there often? The only ones I go to often are Als and Sturtevant.

Burgandy85SS
10-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Al's on 124th in Brookfield? They were pick n pull last time I was there... (4 years ago :rolf)

They still are but downsized the yard alot and really dont have much,.

Car Guy
10-20-2008, 12:37 AM
How big is the one in Waukegan and you go out there often? The only ones I go to often are Als and Sturtevant.

I was just at the Waukegan location last Wednesday and was thinking of going to the Summit location this week, but that is still TBD. I only go on Wednesdays because it's always $1 to get in and everything is half off.....:headbang

If you have never been to a Pick`n Pull you MUST go, it's like the 'Mecca' of junkyards.....:drool:

lasttimearound
10-20-2008, 12:39 AM
looks like im a taking a wed or 8 off this spring to go!

Rocket Power
10-20-2008, 05:22 AM
There's one in Sullivan on Hwy 18, one of my fav's. Heard they were doing some crushing and haven't been there since then, so I don't know it's current state. Van's in Waupan was awesome for a JY everything from the 30's through now, but I don't know if it's still there, been like 10 years since I've been there

OxmanWI
10-20-2008, 07:38 AM
What's wrong with AL's in Franklin? I've had nothing but good deals out of that place.

subliminal1284
10-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Sturtervant and Pick n Pull both let u pull your own parts, There is also Auto Parts City in Gurnee and they let u pick your own parts. My boss owns Auto Parts City.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-20-2008, 10:08 AM
What kinda sucks about Al's is the piling of cars, it makes some parts inaccessable, breaks other parts and makes sorting thru the cars seem kinda unsafe. I have bought motors from Al's recently but havent walked around that yard in about ten years, with this new Heep I have I may head out there soon for some misc. interior junk as they usually have a little later model junk than Sturtevant.

Sturtevant Auto Salvage has a pretty decent yard to walk around/ work in but most everything is 86-96 with a small fenced in area with more watched area of later models. Also reasonable prices here.

kornholio788
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Pick N' pull is good for that half off wed deal. I like Al's though. Much bigger selection of cars. But it is kinda dangerous the way the stack the cars up.

PB86MCSS
10-20-2008, 12:10 PM
How is the Sturtevant yard compared to Al's as far as prices and selection?

I usually only hit up Al's but have been meaning to explore a little bit.

03CVLX
10-20-2008, 04:25 PM
I havent been to a pick n pull type yard in years. I used to love going around and wander see what I can find. Im gonna go again in spring.

If anybody goes to the Illinois ones anytime soon can you look and see if they have any 03 or newer crown vics LX's, Mercury Grand Marquis or Marauders. I need a few things off them and they are extremely hard to find in yards. Send me a PM or something if you spot something.

ND4SPD
10-20-2008, 04:43 PM
You might want to check out http://www.copartfinder.com/ if you're looking for something specific. You can search by car and it tells you the closest participating salvage yard. It may not be pick 'n pull... but it's another resource for you.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Sturtevant Auto Salvage has a good selection and the operators are reasonable and fair to deal with.
Probably half the cars AL's has but with more room and downstacked. Mostly common cars, as usual there wont be many G bodies but there is a ton of domestic FWDrivers and Trucks/Vans/Suv's. Mostly late 80's early 90's with some straglers +/- 10 years.

03CVLX
10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
You might want to check out http://www.copartfinder.com/ if you're looking for something specific. You can search by car and it tells you the closest participating salvage yard. It may not be pick 'n pull... but it's another resource for you.

Thanks for the link, Ive been on the hunt for interior trim stuff, and most yards don't seem to keep listings on that stuff.

Thanks.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-20-2008, 05:21 PM
Nope most dont but even yards that wont let you in the yard will usually have you go back with one of their guys to look for those piece parts you want.
The best junkyard I go to (Jantz"s in Kenosha) dont let anyone into their yard unless you are with one of their guys. Jantz yard is probably about ten acres nice concrete and gravel, no car older than ten years old and bought as wrecks from INS. Companies in most cases.
Auto Paradise in Milwaukee has a similar operation I believe.

03CVLX
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Yep, I like Jantz alot. I got my Corner lamp harness from there. That guy took the time to search each and every wrecked Grand Marquis until we found them in good shape. It cost me 20 bucks for both instead of 47 a piece from Ford.

nitrous
10-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I was at the Pick N' Pull in Wadsworth last Thursday and mainly walked the GM section. I think I only saw maybe 5 or so cars made this millenium out of the hundreds of GM cars.

hotshift13
10-20-2008, 09:33 PM
^^^^holy crop I was there on monday^^^^

240nspec
10-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Any of these possibly carry import salvage parts?

nitrous
10-20-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, Pick N' Pull has a whole section of imports.

subliminal1284
10-20-2008, 11:13 PM
Jantz is way overpriced compared to a pull it yourself yard.

ND4SPD
10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Found another useful website...

car-part.com

Lets you search for parts in junkyards (participating ones of course).

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-21-2008, 03:30 PM
car-part.com is the only junkyard website I use when I llok for good used engines and transmissions.

Jantz may be more expensive but they above and beyond a "junkyard" more of a dismantler and in all the bad engines and trans I have got over the years (the kind with bad bottom ends or trans that dont shift out) I have never got one from Jatnz like that, higher price for a higher quality and later model parts.

Kory 88Iroc lt1
10-21-2008, 03:47 PM
I've been to the pick n pull in Summit Ill. imo it was a waste of a trip. Also I went on a wednsday and it wasn't half off like the wadsworth one.
Kory

PB86MCSS
10-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Jantz was impressive when I was there, twice about 5 years ago. They did have a few older cars including a few g-body Montes and a 60's Stang that looked decent before a minor wreck. I got a perfect Monte dash for my LS out of an 84' SC and couple items of trim for dirt cheap, they probably are only used to newer model cars so didn't care or unsure how to price them I think. Car had alot of good items and clean sheetmetal too, kind of rare to see around here in a yard.

I did go back in the yard with a worker and ended up pulling the dash myself, didn't really trust someone else to remove a fragile item :D . Definately a different style than Al's in how clean and organized it was....but I can't resist a good old dirty pick'n pull yard.

Car Guy
10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
I've been to the pick n pull in Summit Ill. imo it was a waste of a trip. Also I went on a wednsday and it wasn't half off like the wadsworth one.
Kory

How does the Summit location compare in overall size/number of cars VS. the Waukegan location...???

I just realized that I have been saying Waukegan instead of Wadsworth, at least I had the 'W' right.....:goof

Kory 88Iroc lt1
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
size was about the same if I remember correctly. It's hard to remember what was there as it was almost a year ago that I went there. FOr the three hour round trip I think I ended up paying 20 dollars for an fbody throttle cable.
Kory

Crawlin
10-22-2008, 04:12 PM
I wanna go to a place that has some latemodel stuff. Looking for a running longblock. That half off deal probably isn't all that good on engines, just minor stuff.

But if there is a wednesday that someone wants to run down there, i'm down for that.

I've used the car-part.com site and it's awesome for those larger pieces.

00SoSlow
10-23-2008, 03:14 AM
al's pick and pull is on 124th and hampton right?