PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good machine shop recommendations

Syclone0044
01-05-2004, 02:04 AM
I'm going to be taking a stock iron Chevy 90* 4.3 V6 and rebuilding it for a high boost turbocharged street/strip application with low compression and max of 5500 RPM. Pistons & rods will be forged, and reusing stock cast iron crankshaft. Target power output will be a maximum of 750 HP and 800 LB-FT torque. I will be converting the stock two center nodular iron 2 bolt main caps to splayed billet steel 4 bolt main caps and require the block to be drilled appropriately for such.

I will need the block & crank checked, the block bored with deck plates (same as 350 SBC), prepped, cam bearings installed etc., align-bore, balanced, and the crank polished and/or turned. When I priced things out a Borchardt's www.borchardtspeed.com Machine Shop Menu, it came to about $675. This sounds on the high side. Is it? Anyone know reputable machine shops you'd recommend me talking with? What should this cost? I will be assembling the motor myself (my first venture into this.) I realize 4 bolting a "stock V6" for this type of output is not a common application so I need a shop that will work with me on this. Thanks guys,

Josh

Prince Valiant
01-05-2004, 09:52 AM
To me that sounds like a reasonable cost. My experience is you get what you pay for when it comes to machining. Otherwise I know of an outfit up close to Road America....i can find the number for you

Are you sure you want to make a four bolt out of a two bolt motor? I don't know if you would gain anything out of that as any gains might be offset by lose of strength of the block simply by the drilling of the holes for two extra main bearing bolts. That plus the area that your drilling out I don't think is designed to take that kind of load so the extra bolts end up being more for looks. I know there is some gains/advantages...just not that much.

I would think a better and MUCH stronger bet would be to use uber high quality main caps such as mildon's, use ARP main studs, Use a main cap girdle, then fill the lower half of the block with block hardener....this will GREATLY increase the strength of the bottom end IMO. But I am not sure of what others experiences are with build-ups of two bolt blocks.

Another bet is that there is an outfit that builds uberstrong four-bolt race blocks (IIRC they are AL as well) in which you have the option of a SBC based V8, V6, or even a V4. I am not sure on the cost...and you may have to put up without AC if it doesn't have all the correct mounting holes...but i am sure you could make a ton of power with it :3gears:

GRNDNL
01-05-2004, 10:14 AM
George @ Motor Masters did the motor in my GN, 262-966-7093, he's just south of Hwy 167 on Hwy 83. He's not the cheapest but.............