PDA

View Full Version : My first military funeral

michelle
10-17-2008, 09:52 PM
My Great Uncle Jerry passed away last weekend and today was his funeral. He was in the military and was a machinist. It was my first military funeral and I was so moved. I was pretty strong throughout the viewing and service, but at the burial when they shot off the guns and then folded the flag, I was very touched. One of the veterans then gave us the shells before we left the cemetery.

It definitely is a very respectful and honorable thing. Jerry would have been proud.

Jeff
10-17-2008, 09:58 PM
When my dad died he was in the USMC and he was also a Milwaukee Police officer for 35 years, he wanted to be cremated, so at the viewing there was a Milwaukee Police officer that stood at attention at the urn, then about every 1/2 hour another Police officer would come up salute the other then take his place in front of the urn, then at the very end the Police officers left then the USMC Honor Guard came up and folded the flag and gave it to my mom, it was all very honorable.

CPonyGo
10-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah they are moving michelle... very sorry for your loss hon!

MoCkiN U
10-17-2008, 10:58 PM
they are indeed very moving and its hard to see the value in it until you are on the viewing end of it. I did those in the military for years and would bitch all the Fn time about it until one ceremony where the persons young 5 year old son walked up to me and saluted me with tears in his eyes, that freakin tore me down. To this day I wish I would have had more heart into the previous ceremonies I performed in.

Nick
10-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Buried both my grandfathers that way. Gun salute and all.

I f'ing hate funerals.

Prince Valiant
10-17-2008, 11:24 PM
I'm proud our country treats it's veterans with such respect at their passing, whether in service or many years removed. It's but a small token of what we owe them.

My condolences for you loss...

VroomPshhTsi
10-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Both my uncle and my grandpa's funerals were like this.

Very moving. Very full of pride.

michelle
10-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Thanks everyone!

srt4eh
10-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Military funerals are very moving...another thing that is really moving is here on Bagram they have Fallen Comrade ceremonies where everyone lines up on the main road and salute as they drive the caskets by and then the detail carries it into the C-130 to go home.

That_Guy
10-18-2008, 08:15 AM
when i was younger i got the chance to go to my great grandfathers millitary funeral. he had the works 21 gun salute and all. he was a high ranking captain i believe all i remember was he was barried in his military garb and he had a ton of metals. i had the chance to listen to some stories about him from his friends and my grandpa's brothers and sisters. apparently he was a real baddass.

OxmanWI
10-18-2008, 10:28 AM
Jerry was a great man! :usa:

Silver350
10-18-2008, 12:45 PM
First off sorry for your loss.

My grandfather is a Marine and he and his friends travel thru out south east wisconsin proforming those cerimonies to fallen veterians. He is the flag holder seeing he has a hard time lifting his arms but he enjoys preforming this service and will continue to do so untill he is no longer with us

Holeshot
10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Having the stars and stripes draped across my body before I am lowered to my final resting place will be my greatest moment. I was proud to serve my country. Every military vet past and present is family. U.S. Army Ret.

Michelle sorry for your loss and thanks for Jerry's service. Salute !!!

Breecher_7
10-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Having the stars and stripes draped across my body before I am lowered to my final resting place will be my greatest moment. I was proud to serve my country. Every military vet past and present is family. U.S. Army Ret.

Michelle sorry for your loss and thanks for Jerry's service. Salute !!!

I have been to so many military funerals that it makes me sick.. I will have military honors when I die, but I do not plan to be buried... Dump me in the lake! I feel your eternal resting place should be a place that you loved. Not 6' under next to other rotting corpses!

Voodoo Chick
10-20-2008, 02:37 AM
My father was a Marine. He died 4 years ago, and at the end of his funeral, the flag was folded, and given to his mother. "Taps" was played. It was moving and intense, and I will never forget that moment. And I will never forget him.

GTSLOW
10-20-2008, 08:02 AM
When I was stationed in California I was on funeral honors for 12months, and probably did 30. The first time I had to hand the flag to the wife it was pretty rough.

jbiscuit
10-20-2008, 08:12 AM
military funerals are top notch. I felt honored being at my grandfathers a few months back but at the same time I felt like a POS having done so little for this country. There were guys that showed up from from all over the country to be at my grandpas since he was a platoon leader for his outfit in Korea as well as an MP officer in Germany for like 6-7 years. I teared up when all of those guys showed up and saluted my grandma in his honor. Really moving and hard to watch.