View Full Version : First NILMDTS session

Goat Roper
10-14-2008, 07:10 PM
I completed my first NILMDTS assignment today and they are about as difficult as you can imagine but I know the parents are happy with the memories we preserved today. It was a scheduled birth with NILMDTS notfied long in advance.

Shadowed another NILMDTS photog, I did not want to go out on assigment without first following someone into one to see how best to handle the situation. Technically (lighting, propping), it is no different that any other baby shoot, but there is a greater urgency of time, you just have no idea what is about to happen.

Baby Nathan was brought into this world at around noon. He suffers from exemcephaly, not enough development of the cranium, which required a baby stocking hat. It was not overtly noticable with the hat so to look at the hundreds of photos we took today you would not think that you were looking at a child with a terminal condition. And like any infant, he had a knack for not cooperating for the camera :) No special measures were being taken with him, nature was running it's course. When I left he was resting comfortably with his parents in their room.

Why am I posting about this? Because I have to talk about it. It is weighing heavily on me right now and quite frankly it is therapeutic for me to sit here and write about it. The first one is always the hardest one I am told, but I take solace knowing that our work will always be appreciated.

So with that I say thank you Nathan. Our time was short but you will not be forgotten.

http://www.sweeneysphoto.com/babies/nathan/nathan1.jpg

CPonyGo
10-14-2008, 07:25 PM
awesome shot....RIP Nathan

xxtremeteam
10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
nice shot i dont think i could do it, some friends of mine had this happen last year the baby was concived by invitro and they lost him at 6 months, they are now expecting again this is very rare from what i understand.

Goat Roper
10-14-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks guys. I have a bunch of other shots that I would say ar emuch better but I am trying to avoid posting identifying pictures for the families sake. If you DO by chance happen to know this family please avoid a public discussion out of respect for the family.

michelle
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
I give you a lot of credit for doing that. It's not easy for you, but I don't think anybody here can understand how important it is to that family unless they were in a similar situation.

CPonyGo
10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
no other pics are necessary. That pic speaks volumes.

Nick
10-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Crazy. Amazing photo. That's gotta be tough. I can't imagine

STANMAN
10-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Being a new dad, after never wanting kids for 34 years, I can't imagine what it would be like to lose my daughter now. Fuck, I am misting up for the parents as I type this. What a horror that shouldn't be placed on anyone. I am sure they will appreciate the shots you have given them forever, and you should know that the pics you took today will be a huge part of their healing process, so my hat is off to you sir!

STANMAN
10-14-2008, 08:39 PM
For those reading this who don't know what NILMDTS is, it's a association of proffesional photographers who volunteer their work to take pics of babies who are born with a terminal illness or stillborn free of charge. Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep is what the acronym stands for (I didn't know this until I googled it). If you don't want to ball your eyes out, don't go to their website, because you for sure will, the stories are as heartbreaking as the pics are breathtaking. What a wonderful organization though, you guys are saviours to these families.

WickedSix
10-14-2008, 08:50 PM
It's gut wrenching every time reading about it and I still can't imagine how hard it would be to do. But my hat's off to you for doing it. It is an awesome thing you are doing

udlose98
10-14-2008, 09:03 PM
great pic.

Reverend Cooper
10-14-2008, 09:07 PM
i am very sorry for the families

Goat Roper
10-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Baby Nathan has passed on. God's speed little man.

Z28Envy
10-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Very sad. R.I.P Nathan!!

mr.gone1985
10-16-2008, 08:48 PM
While this maynot be easy to do, you should feel proud and honored that you were given this gift and you are using it to help others heal in these hard times. You have given them a pictures that are priceless. R.I.P. Nathan.

pOrk
10-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Mad Props!

STANMAN
10-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Little Nathan is with his Father now, but his parents must be devestated. I always turn to this poem in times of heartache:

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from
anguish, sorrow or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you,
you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during
the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one
set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most,
you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied,
"The times when you have
seen only one set of footprints in the sand,
is when I carried you.

Cryptic
10-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Thinking about things like this puts a knot in the back of my throat.
You're helping to preserve their memories. Which if it makes it any easier on the parents... well then it's so worth it.

Godspeed Nathan

Scott, top notch as always.

STANMAN
10-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Scott, can you clear some PM's, I can't send you one, your inbox is full.

Goat Roper
10-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Scott, can you clear some PM's, I can't send you one, your inbox is full.

done:thumbsup

Nix
10-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Very nice work Scott. For an awesome cause too, the family will always remember you as well and I'm sure appreciate what you have done for them. :)

R.I.P. Nathan