PDA

View Full Version : brake expert needed - ASAP

Silver86
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM
i cant figure out what the deal is with the brakes on my rx7. everything is new, except the hardlines... new master, new calipers, new flex lines.

the rear brakes bled excellent, took less than 5 minutes to do both. the front on the other hand, is where my problems lie. i cannot for the life of me get the passenger front caliper to bleed what so ever. not sure what the deal is. the driver side i can get to bleed, but somehow air is getting back into the system. when i pump the pedal to build pressure, the rubber hose fills with fluid. but as soon as the pressure subsides, the rubber line fills back up with air.

btw, im using a 1 man bleeder kit

Reverend Cooper
10-13-2008, 07:36 PM
bleed the master first, then gravity bleed the calipers then rebleed with a friend

84hurst
10-13-2008, 07:45 PM
bleed the master first, then gravity bleed the calipers then rebleed with a friend

x2 the master alone (not on the car) will take 10-15 to bleed. then gravity bleed, starting with the wheel that is furthes from the master and work your way to the closest wheel. then bleed with a friend in the same order. I assume there are no fluid leaks otherwise you'd know where air is getting in. good luck!

Russ Jerome
10-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Are the rubber lines up front new as well?

They will swell shut over time from age and the use of
different fluids, power steering fluid does it in days.

Silver86
10-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Are the rubber lines up front new as well?

They will swell shut over time from age and the use of
different fluids, power steering fluid does it in days.

rubber lines?

and yes... i just figured out that you have to bleed the master first... http://smiliesftw.com/x/punchballs.gif

Russ Jerome
10-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Yes the rubber flexible lines from the caliper up towards the frame.

If you have no problem bleeding the left front but the right front
wont flow there may be an obstruction, swollen rubber lines are
common. Some system are cross proportional, the LF and RR are
tied together as well the RF and LR are tide together. More common
I believe your Mazda is front to rear proportional, both front tied and both rear tied together.

Russ Jerome
10-13-2008, 11:00 PM
I was bored so I started researching your car on my Alldata.

Your 86 doesnt have the first yr 4wabs system right? Its an
odd option usualy for overseas models that can have hydraulic
actuators on all 4 hydraulic lines, you would see a big ugly
contraption if you followed your brake lines down from the
master.

Silver86
10-13-2008, 11:50 PM
i replaced the rubber lines with stainless lines from mazdatrix. theyre not kinked or tightly bent... tomorrow im gonna disconnect the pass caliper and see if the caliper it self is blocked up some how....

and no, no abs... i did however do a 5-lug brake swap. so pretty much the entire brake system besides the hard-lines and proportioning valve have been replaced...

one thing i did notice on the driver side while bleeding, was that a small droplet would form at the bottom of the caliper near where the 2 halfs are sandwiched together... so i think the seal between the 2 might be bad... super...