PDA

View Full Version : Cash only price at Gas Stations

Rocket Power
10-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I saw cheap(relatively speaking ;) ) prices in Hales Corners today on my way home from work $2.89 for 87 . So I slide in and since I always use my check card I start to pull it out to pay at the pump, and see it says 2.94 and 2.89 is the cash only price. I say f you and go to the other 2 stations right there and they are the same way now. They weren't the last time I was there getting gas.
WTF is up with that? Lure me in with the sign price and then try to charge me more when I am there w/o cash, which I hardly ever carry with me especially an extra $60 every 4 days to put in the tank.
I didn't see anything about debit being the same price as cash like the one on 124th and Layton which is the one I ended up going to.

I understand they get charged like 2-3% for the credit transactions but they've been getting that forever. Why they gotta change up the game on me now that it's finally going back down?:goof

I have them on personal BAN now:rolf

I realize that 5 cents a gal isn't that much, but I didn't like being suckered in by their sign, and while losing my business won't kill them, it's a few hundo a month they wont get of mine.

Signed ,
Captain Cheapass:rolf

theavenger333
10-12-2008, 11:59 PM
I understand they get charged like 2-3% for the credit transactions but they've been getting that forever. Why they gotta change up the game on me now that it's finally going back down?:goof

they've been doing it for years. exactly what you said, saving the money on the credit transaction. remember when gas was more expensive via Credit? now its all same price cash or credit? now its a discount to use cash. its WAY easier and cheaper to just use cash.

Silver03SRT
10-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I dunno to me it was pretty clear Regular Cash 2.89 and under that Regular Credit 2.94

hrsp
10-13-2008, 12:52 AM
thats why i pay cash...

Rocket Power
10-13-2008, 01:44 AM
I dunno to me it was pretty clear Regular Cash 2.89 and under that Regular Credit 2.94

I noticed that after, I just saw the 289 and pulled in:rolf

Rocket Power
10-13-2008, 01:45 AM
thats why i pay cash...

I would too if I wouldn't spend it on something else between gas stops:goof

That_Guy
10-13-2008, 02:20 AM
bastards almost got you..

88Nightmare
10-13-2008, 03:01 AM
I just paid $2.89 a gallon with my credit card over at 76th and howard. hometown gas station

Rocket Power
10-13-2008, 06:15 AM
I just paid $2.89 a gallon with my credit card over at 76th and howard. hometown gas station
I paid 2.89 in Albany,IL (tiny town by Cordova Dragway) on Sat for 89 they must have subsidies because the 89 with 10% ethanol was .10 cheaper than the 87 pure gas.

T-Bag
10-13-2008, 06:31 AM
I use my Chase Freedom rewards card and save about 9 cents a gallon @ the 3% rewards...so you can still save money using a credit card...you just don't see that money back right away.

edit: obviously as the prices go down savings would go down as well.

Z28Roxy
10-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Chase BP card (5% back at BP only, unlimited)
Chase Freedom card (3% back any gas station, unlimited)
Various discover cards (5% back any gas station, limited amount).

All better options than "cash discount" :)

wrath
10-13-2008, 07:34 AM
Chase BP card (5% back at BP only, unlimited)
Chase Freedom card (3% back any gas station, unlimited)
Various discover cards (5% back any gas station, limited amount).

All better options than "cash discount" :)

I gave up on my Discover card. I've been using my Chase Freedom card for a while. Cash has become a pain in the ass anyway. You have to wait for the clown behind the counter to pull the needle out of their arm before they'll ring you up. Plus I have to interact with them. No thanks. I'll swipe my card, get $.12/gallon back, and save my time.

Besides, the nickel off stations usually aren't even the cheapest around anyway. And the nickel off ones usually have unknown-source gas in them.

Z28Roxy
10-13-2008, 07:53 AM
I gave up on my Discover card. I've been using my Chase Freedom card for a while. Cash has become a pain in the ass anyway. You have to wait for the clown behind the counter to pull the needle out of their arm before they'll ring you up. Plus I have to interact with them. No thanks. I'll swipe my card, get $.12/gallon back, and save my time.

Besides, the nickel off stations usually aren't even the cheapest around anyway. And the nickel off ones usually have unknown-source gas in them.

Don't forget having to deal with change :)

CPonyGo
10-13-2008, 09:16 AM
76th and Howard Hometown is always cheap...its in my locale so I use them a lot

Karps TA
10-13-2008, 09:19 AM
The difference works out to what $.60-.75 a fillup? I'm not sure I would stop to pickup that much in change on the sidewalk if I saw it.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-13-2008, 09:24 AM
The difference works out to what $.60-.75 a fillup? I'm not sure I would stop to pickup that much in change on the sidewalk if I saw it.

that is an awesome way of thinking about it! :thumbsup

people go through all this trouble and rant and rave about gas prices, but the average person, like you said would probably watch a dollar blow down the street without giving chase.

Goat Roper
10-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Was back in Iowa over the weekend and the local Pick-n-Save type grocery stores (Hy-Vee they are called) offer a certain amount of cents off per gallon with any purchase. Go in, by a candy bar, fill-up, produce the receipt, get your discount. yesterday the discount was 8 cents a gallon so we filled up at $2.78 a gallon. A shame the grocery stores around here don't do such a thing.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-13-2008, 09:31 AM
Was back in Iowa over the weekend and the local Pick-n-Save type grocery stores (Hy-Vee they are called) offer a certain amount of cents off per gallon with any purchase. Go in, by a candy bar, fill-up, produce the receipt, get your discount. yesterday the discount was 8 cents a gallon so we filled up at $2.78 a gallon. A shame the grocery stores around here don't do such a thing.

dont you guys have piggly wigglys down there. i am up to getting 75 cents off a gallon because my old lady shops there. pig points ftw! everytime you buy something that is a pig point special you get so many points. the more points you have, the more you save. every brewer home run on sundays is another 4 cents off per gallon too!

details here http://www.shopthepig.com/

CPonyGo
10-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Hy-Vee for the win....lol Wal Mart gas stations do the same in Iowa

and I pick up change and would chase a dollar but I do say that only a couple of cents on fillup makes no difference to me. I pull in where its easy in.out but usually stay w/ Hometown on 76th...the compete hard

moels
10-13-2008, 10:03 AM
dont you guys have piggly wigglys down there. i am up to getting 75 cents off a gallon because my old lady shops there. pig points ftw! everytime you buy something that is a pig point special you get so many points. the more points you have, the more you save. every brewer home run on sundays is another 4 cents off per gallon too!

details here http://www.shopthepig.com/

I use the Sentry gas perks program that was set up between the local Sentry and the local gas station ( both within 3 blocks of my house ). Select items purchased nets you a certain amount off per gallon. Then if you spend over $50, you get an additional $ .25 off per gallon. Saves me at the pump and it's all stuff I needed to buy anyway. :thumbsup

Car Guy
10-13-2008, 10:44 AM
HY-VEE = The only grocery store with a venereal disease.....:goof :rolf

CPonyGo
10-13-2008, 10:46 AM
^^^ lolol-

Nix
10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Don't forget about the people who drive around to find the best price on gas and the gas they use to drive around finding the cheapest price.

I would think that doing that would nix (no pun intended on myself) out the saving vs the gas that was used in the process of trying to save a few cents.

CobraSnake
10-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Its 2.87 right now.

Mark

CPonyGo
10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Don't forget about the people who drive around to find the best price on gas and the gas they use to drive around finding the cheapest price.

I would think that doing that would nix (no pun intended on myself) out the saving vs the gas that was used in the process of trying to save a few cents.

LOL- I know- that is just nutz... the time and cost of driving to a station that is 2-5 cents cheaper doesn't offset the saving and time

CPonyGo
10-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Its 2.87 right now.

Mark

they don't mess around plus they have usually decent gallon prices on milk as well:thumbsup

wrath
10-13-2008, 01:04 PM
When I lived in dayoop I drove 60 miles round trip to buy cheaper gas. I could buy 93 octane for $.10/gallon cheaper than 89 octane where I lived. I usually bought between 40 and 66 gallons of fuel each time I went. I used it as an excuse to get better fuel at the same price or cheaper than I was paying for locally. Plus, I got to put highway miles on the vehicle and therefore heated up the various fluids to burn off water vapor. And I could go to Burger King.

While I don't do that here, I do make it a point to buy gas at certain stations that have higher quality fuel at the cheapest prices. The Mobil and BP at Grandview and Summit/US18 is usually cheaper for 89 octane than 87 at the Mobile at Grandview/Silvernail. There is less than a mile between them. And since everyone knows there is NO good way to go anywhere in Waukesha, it doesn't really impact the total cost of refueling much (at least for me).

GRAMPS SS
10-13-2008, 02:04 PM
doesn't farm and barn(fleet and farm) give ya a discount anymore on gas with a reciet from them...use to be 4 cents a gallon...hey it's something....i never used it...i use my capital one card and get cash back....or my brand new shinny DISCOVER i got sat in the mail....

theavenger333
10-13-2008, 08:54 PM
^^ yeah they did it last year with a purchase like above 20 bucks. Pick is re-starting the Dual Fuels promotion again, started this week. dont remember the exact numbers, but you can get a kickback of a gas card or a pick gift card.

lordairgtar
10-13-2008, 11:34 PM
that is an awesome way of thinking about it! :thumbsup

people go through all this trouble and rant and rave about gas prices, but the average person, like you said would probably watch a dollar blow down the street without giving chase.
I'd chase it.:goof

michelle
10-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Yeah, well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Naytally/1013081553a.jpg

Nix
10-14-2008, 07:07 AM
^^^^ NOICE!!! :rolf:rolf Your lucky day,huh? :banana1:

CobraSnake
10-14-2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah, well...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/Naytally/1013081553a.jpg

where the hell was that??

Smokey1226
10-14-2008, 12:49 PM
wow not only did that station spend big $$$ to get all new screens/displays put in....but then they screwed up on the price change :S

michelle
10-14-2008, 04:20 PM
That was in Delaware. And that's not my reflection either, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
I remember seeing cash/credit signs back in the mid 80's signs where the prices would be different.

If its 5 cents a gallon I don't care as over ten gallons thats 50 cents, I can't even get a can of COKE for 50 cents nowemdays...........