PDA

View Full Version : Time to put my puppy down...dam

Russ Jerome
10-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Well 14yrs ago the wife and I decided to put our dog
Harley down when he looked in pain...well of coarse
tonight is Sat and Im not sure what the best plan is.
Dog has had the best of lives, no doubt spoiled.

Harley the flame throwing dog in better years:
http://www.extremepsi.org/gallery/albums/Misc-EXPSI-Pics/HotDog.mpg

He's been slowing down and his breathing and overall
apearance is bleak to say the least. Anybody had to have
there dog put down and disposed of here in town anytime recently? He's a full size dog, had a great life but at 14
its sudenly become aparent he's due for a rest before he
realy goes thru serious pain.

Yooformula
10-11-2008, 11:55 PM
man that sucks. good luck and prayers for the family.

Russ Jerome
10-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Being a big pitbull/rot cross me and the family have seen
it coming, realy sad but its not a shock so besides balling
we'll be fine. Not a simpathy call just wondering what the
options are localy. Wifes old employer does it at some high
cost but being he' been there I dont want him to see the
place he had to live while we went on vacation without him.

Dog lived in our beds, eat my food (ya I know your not
suppose to) and gaurded us like his own so I want to
try and treat him right on his last day(s).

Russ Jerome
10-12-2008, 12:11 AM
man that sucks. good luck and prayers for the family.

Wife,kids and I say thanks bye the way.

chargedformula
10-12-2008, 12:22 AM
we take our dog for vet visits at a place called "spirit of 76th" http://www.spiritof76vet.com/
i have heard their prices are very good. when we got our dog neutered there they had origionaly quoted us something like $80, but the bill came to $150 or something. they called us the next day saying they billed us too much and we will get a refund. they are very easy to work with.
sorry to hear
-justin

Reverend Cooper
10-12-2008, 12:44 AM
last christmas we had to put Osa down our Chow of 13 years. it is hard Russ. As tough as a person is it hurts bad. Our family thoughts are with you and yours.But remember, it is for the best.

nismodave
10-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Russ, Im truely sorry you have to put Harley down.

I know he saw alot of love in his life from your family. I will miss seeing him at your place. It wont be the same.:crying

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

CPonyGo
10-12-2008, 12:59 AM
I am sorrry for your loss but for what you are asking for I second spirit of 76th- thats where I took my cat and my new one..very caring awesome people..76th/lincoln

HAMRHEAD
10-12-2008, 01:06 AM
That sucks! You are a better man than I. I could never bring myself to put Capone down. I can't imagine the pain you feel but you are doing it for the right reasons.

b4mytm
10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I'm so sorry that you have to do this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Russ Jerome
10-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Yah one of my girls is at school in Madison this week, she's gonna want to come home and see him. He's about 80% better today with no visual pain. Im sure this is the right time to put him down dignifide.

That place on 76 and Lincoln googled right up, I'll give them a call Monday.

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I am 28 and have had to put "my" 12 year old black lab mutt to sleep after 12 years which was really hard to do but seeing him in pain I knew he had to go, he had hip displasia. ?sp?
And have gone to the vet with my mom when she had to put down her 14 y/o husky that grew up with me and my dog. I carried out both dogs dead and we bury them in our yards.
Before moms husky dad buried moms malamute in a different backyard at our old house.

I now have a boxer that is 5 and she sleeps with my wife and I and is our 2 years daughters "puppy dog". The boxer eats with us and usually always rides around with us it will be very hard to let her go when that time comes.
I am told boxers only live ten years.

I know some folks have no problem blasting their old dog away with a shotgun (I have a few family member like this) but that ain't me. I like my dog more than half my family and burying a good ole dog is close to the same as burying a family member to me.

Stangman98
10-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Just had to put my Lab down last Friday night here in Madison. It was by far the most difficult thing I have every had to do. I just went today and picked up his ashes. I feel for ya!!

Yeehaw
10-12-2008, 01:22 PM
sorry to hear that russ

Russ Jerome
10-12-2008, 06:33 PM
I know some folks have no problem blasting their old dog away with a shotgun (I have a few family member like this) but that ain't me. I like my dog more than half my family and burying a good ole dog is close to the same as burying a family member to me.

I wasnt too sure I should have brought that subject up
but I follow you. If a buddy wanted me to put his old
dog down I could probably due it if he asked, but like
you Harley grew up with all 4 of my kids...smarter that
a couple of them at times :wow

u_say_go
10-12-2008, 07:32 PM
as hard as it is to put a dog down when they're old and fraile, it must be done. some folks wait way too long and the dog continues to suffer needlessly.
you're doing the right thing.

BigSnailBuick
10-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I posted the same thing a while back when we had to put my dog down.. Same symptoms and all. Its ruff and the worst thing that one has to deal with. I just always looked back at the great times I had with him and it always made me feel better :)