PDA

View Full Version : Mentors Needed ~ Ozaukee County

whitepony
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Big Brothers Big Sisters of Ozaukee County, Inc.
“Providing another caring adult in the life of a child” since 1974.
885 Badger Circle
Grafton, WI 53024
Phone: (262) 377-0784
Fax: (262) 377- 7370
bbbsoz@sbcglobal.net

Mentoring Programs

We have several programs available to fit conveniently into your schedule. You can meet with a child during the weekend, during their school day, or after school, which ever works best for you. Volunteering does not have to be time consuming; it is as simple as including a child into your typical day.

Community-based Mentoring Program
· Matches children 5-15 years of age who live primarily in single parent homes.
· Mentor spends 3-5 hours per visit 2-3 times per month.
· Big Brother, Big Sister, Couple, High School and Cross Gender (Big Sister matched with Little Brother) matches available.
· Activities are based on the needs and interests of the child.

School-based Mentoring Program
· Serves children in grades 3 through 8.
· Mentor meets with child one class period per week during the school day at the child’s school.
· No visits occur outside of the school setting.
· Students are referred to the program by school personnel for academic, organizational or social reasons
· Sessions include time spent on academics, esteem building, and fun.

After-school Mentoring Program
· Held at the YMCA in Saukville (grades 3 through 8).
· Program runs October through May.
· Students and Mentors meet on Thursdays from 4:00pm to 5:30pm.
· Sessions include a 10-15 minute team building activity and at least 30 minutes of schoolwork. The remaining time can be spent utilizing the facilities.
· Students participate voluntarily and must adhere to the rules of the program.

Volunteer Eligibility
· Volunteers must live or work in Ozaukee County or just beyond its southern or western borders.
· Be at least 16 years of age.
· Have a valid Driver’s License and access to an insured vehicle (for Community-based Mentoring).

Enrollment Process
· Application
· Personal Reference Checks
· Criminal Background Check
· Orientation Interview with BBBS professional

mynameismike65
10-08-2008, 05:49 PM
I think this is a great program and would love to do it.....its just hard being here at UWM....if it was summer I would consider.

whitepony
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
We ask for a year commitment from both the big and the little. I'm a big myself and its a lot of fun. Usually people with out a lot of time pick the during school because its only an hour and its the same hour everyday every week. So they just put it in their calenders. i like the community based because thats what i do and i bring my little with me and its more flexible with schedules. If you reconsider let me know.

Reverend Cooper
10-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I can mentor,is it ok to go to the bar and nudie club

moels
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I would love to contribute, but I am a single father of 3 and I mentor the hell out of kids at football practice. lol

Oh wait, that's torment. haha

Reverend Cooper
10-08-2008, 08:07 PM
hey,someone has to show them who to give dollar bills to and how many,not to mention when to get the best two'fers

Z28Envy
10-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I can mentor,is it ok to go to the bar and nudie club

I don't see why not. That's what big brother's do!!:rolf

GRAMPS SS
10-08-2008, 11:01 PM
i think what coop was really getting at...was taking mom out.....she needs some mentoring as well...