PDA

View Full Version : Conversion Starter?

GTSLOW
12-30-2003, 06:40 PM
Well one of the things I have to do for the T56 swap is get a 153t starter for the LT1 flywheel. Well the 4.3L uses a 168t flywheel. Thus the starters are different. I was wondering if any1 knows of a place that sells conversion starters. A 153t starter that fits in the place of a 168t starter. Other wise I can reuse one of the stock holes but the other needs to be drilled and tapped into the block, and if the holes off. I get a cute hole in my block that I have to get welded up so I can redrill it again.

Also can any1 recomend a place localy that makes driveshafts.

Al
12-30-2003, 08:07 PM
Random 4.3 Question...

How easy is it to get some HP out of the 4.3?

I know this is off topic, but you are probably the only one who knows (except for a sy or ty owner)

Prince Valiant
12-30-2003, 11:20 PM
easy...I've seen 300hp out of a carbed 4.3 in a hot rod issue once.

GTSLOW
12-31-2003, 12:17 AM
If you go carbed you can make 300hp like nuthin. But with the stock 96 and newer CPI intake its alot harder. I got quite a bit of mods and I'd be lucky to see 225hp/265tq at the wheels. Thats with the tuning also. The intake manifold is not made for high rpms meaning over 5grand. So it takes a little work.

As for TBI 4.3Ls theres no s/c or turbo kits out there for them on the markets. But edlbrock makes new intake manifolds for them and you can upgrade the throttle body making it better in some ways than the CPI. But the 95 and older CPI 4.3Ls are worthless there are VERY little mods for the.

But I know with forced induction you can make some very nice #'s despite the intake manifold. Just some numbers: Bill Mach is make 300rwhp with his wifes blazer @ 8psi and basic bolt ons, nothing internal! That the turbo kit. And guys with Bills ATI kit are making around 250-275+rwhp @ 10psi and thats with zero detonation thanks to the Air to Air i/c.

Once you learn how this engine is designed, you can make it work for for you. I'm currently trying to pickup a 00+ computer so I can spend countless hours splicing and crap so I can run LS1 edit.

If you have any questions about basic bolt ons feel free to ask. 4 mods that can be done for cheap and make a nice difference are. Pulleys, Efans, EGR mod, and Throttle Blade diffuser mod.

Al
12-31-2003, 01:16 AM
I'm looking for a cheap alternative to swapping in the 'stro. 300HP! Sounds great, add 100 hp N20, even better.

There is a s/c for the 4.3 made by vortech. It fits on the 96+ blazer.

BTW- saw you on 100 today (I think)

Al
12-31-2003, 05:41 PM
Oh yeah, mine is a 90 astro. A carb would be no problem, but where do I find parts?!? I mean, what are some good websites with the 4.3L parts? I was looking around and all I found were SBC's. Also, how good are the heads?

GTSLOW
12-31-2003, 07:19 PM
Yes their are 3 super charger kits for the 96+ 4.3L Powerdyne being the cheapest offering the lowest gain and least amount of tunability. Vortech offering a better head unit that pushes more cfm and is set around 8psi. Then the ATI procharger kit which is the best offering a fully adjustable fmu and an air to air intercooler allowing the boost to be at 10psi!

As for parts. If you want to go carbed get the edlbrock intake manifold from jegs or summit. It can take a good ole 4 barrel carborator. You can also get a set of headers from hedman or edlbrock. But I recomend staying away from the TES headers! Then you would want to look into getting the engine bored .30 over some nice pistons and rings. All of these parts can come from a 350 so you have a wide variety to choose from. As for cranks search around the web. It all depends on what you want to spend. When I get mine rebuilt I'm going for a scat crankshaft.
The rest is up to you.

But I'm still stuck in the sand. Hopefully I can find a conversion starter so I dont have to drill my block to run the T56.

Al
12-31-2003, 09:14 PM
Could a good porting and enlarged valve job be a good alternative to buying a set of performance heads?

A shift kit is probably on call too. The stock shift point is around 4.75/5 k.

Prince Valiant
12-31-2003, 09:23 PM
certianly...but often times the cost may be a wash. Have to shop and compare carefully.

Actually, oftentimes though, if done right ported stockers will outperform box-stock "performance" heads.