PDA

View Full Version : Tracing family history?

Troutman
10-06-2008, 07:57 PM
has anyone ever tried someone, or someplace local or internet to trace their family history? ive been thinking of doing this for sometime, but have no idea where to start. As it is now, the furthest i can go back is my greatparents. unfortunately no one has any info before that.

also i want to find out if what i think is my family crest, is actually my family crest.

thanks

Reverend Cooper
10-06-2008, 08:00 PM
the bes thing to do is get as much info as you can from living relatives,then start searching at library's for death notices,military records and such. my mom and dad spend a few weeks a year tracking down lost relatives even finding grave markers and such,they traced my dads side back medieval days and castles and shit in ireland,my moms side stops towards germany around the holocoust

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2008, 08:07 PM
the bes thing to do is get as much info as you can from living relatives,then start searching at library's for death notices,military records and such. my mom and dad spend a few weeks a year tracking down lost relatives even finding grave markers and such,they traced my dads side back medieval days and castles and shit in ireland,my moms side stops towards germany around the holocoust

wow coop...my dad side is the same..castles and from ireland....we have our family crest...from what i gather from my living relatives..we had royalty in our blood for we have purple in the crest.....maybe were related....nahhhhhhh...

Reverend Cooper
10-06-2008, 08:08 PM
my mom and dad have our family crest as well, i wish i could remember what it looked like.

Korndogg
10-06-2008, 08:10 PM
maybe were related....nahhhhhhh...

you guys should stop having sex then...

anyway.... i have been wanting to trace my family's history back that far too but I think the furthest we got was back to germany a couple hundred years ago.

GRAMPS SS
10-06-2008, 08:11 PM
there use to be a place at mayfair that would trace your history todd.....don't know if there still there...i'll swing by one day this week and check it out for ya....

Reverend Cooper
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
you guys should stop having sex then...

anyway.... i have been wanting to trace my family's history back that far too but I think the furthest we got was back to germany a couple hundred years ago.

doubtfull,no self respecting kraut would ever own a mullet mobile

Korndogg
10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
woah now...no mullet mobile here....thats from second gen on lol....

Reverend Cooper
10-06-2008, 08:19 PM
you say tomato,I say mullet mobile

lordairgtar
10-06-2008, 11:18 PM
I thought mullet mobiles were Mopars. There are geneology sites online but they want money. The Mormons keep extensive records of nearly everybody in their geneology department in Utah. Best bet is to find old family Bibles as sometimes records of births and marriages are kept in them. Talk to the "old ones" at family reunions.

Troutman
10-07-2008, 10:59 AM

now i havent been in a library since college, rather HS....but will a local library here have records such as this from other states/towns? (im from PA).

Troutman
10-07-2008, 11:00 AM
there use to be a place at mayfair that would trace your history todd.....don't know if there still there...i'll swing by one day this week and check it out for ya....

thanks. is it in or near the mall?