PDA

View Full Version : do you guys use dynos

beeyond
12-29-2003, 02:38 AM
i'm just curious to see how many people in here uses a dynamometer at local race shops to tune their cars. And where they go???

thx guys......:haveabeer

Yooformula
12-29-2003, 02:55 AM
I think some of the locals use Bouchardts, there is another dyno about an hour or so away at a truck repair shop, then there is Speed Inc in Ill. I have used the Speed Inc dyno and the the truck spot dyno for before/after comparisons. I think they are good tools but the track turns out to be the best test anyway.

BAD LS1
12-29-2003, 11:23 AM
I use my "Ass Dyno®" and a wideband o2 and EFI Live on a laptop for data logging.

Im too affraid of those damn straps breaking or have something stupid happen on a dyno to physically put my car on one.

Call me a ***** but that wouldnt be too cool launching it off a dyno in the middle of a pull LOL.

My other fear is having someone else running my car on a dyno that doesnt know when they should get out of it due to detonation or bang it off the rev limiter too long and bend some push rods.

lotsals1
12-29-2003, 12:16 PM
"Call me a ***** but that wouldnt be too cool launching it off a dyno in the middle of a pull LOL."
OK ! C H I C K E N S H I T
BAWK BAWK BUC BUC

:D

JC70SS
12-29-2003, 09:42 PM
I think Tom is just afraid to see his numbers with that 12 bolt and 4.56 gear sucking away at hp.

BAD LS1
12-29-2003, 09:55 PM
Hey its 4.30 gears !!! LOL

Although id be willing to bet im probably damn close to what your car laid down with my previous cam and stock heads:D

But should it be to get close to the 450 rwhp mark with the new cam and Patriot heads with me behind the laptop:devil
Being the fact that G5X2 cam alone had made 430rwhp on stock heads a few times now.

Joe i think thats just what your car needs is a Man Gear to make it go like hell:3gears:

lotsals1
12-29-2003, 10:07 PM
And you will never know because youre too C H I C K E N S H I T to dyno it ;)

BAD LS1
12-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by lotsals1
And you will never know because youre too C H I C K E N S H I T to dyno it ;)

Yes....:durr

beeyond
12-29-2003, 10:55 PM
how much do you guys usually pay at bourcharts and/or the truck stop....

JUst curious!!!

don't mind me!!!

THx guys...

Hetfield
12-29-2003, 11:03 PM
I use my wideband + data recorder in addition to a few different scan tools.

Working at a GM place has its perks. :)

Prince Valiant
12-29-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by beeyond
how much do you guys usually pay at bourcharts and/or the truck stop....

JUst curious!!!

don't mind me!!!

THx guys... IIRC 75 bucks for three runs, an extra 15 for wide-band 02 sensor.

Al
12-29-2003, 11:27 PM
G-TEC anyone???

MY FYN 79
12-30-2003, 06:10 AM
I always dyno at Commercial Truck in Manitwoc, really nice guy! :cool2:

JC70SS
12-30-2003, 06:13 PM
Tom I do need some 4.10s but the question is is should I destroy my 10 bolt or go 12 right away? Also, I don't know if you bought the heads yet, but the Eagle 382 cranks are out and are pretty cheap and supposed to be good quality. Remember, torque gets you down the strip:3gears:

lotsals1
12-30-2003, 09:16 PM
DESTROY IT- DESTROY IT DESTROY ITDESTROY IT DESTROY IT
DESTROY IT DESTROY IT DESTROY IT DESTROY IT DESTROY IT
DESTROY THAT MOFO

BAD LS1
12-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Yeah i vote blow that MOFO the hell up!!!!

Me and Tim are speaking from experience, it SO worth blowing it up!!! LOL

lotsals1
12-30-2003, 09:20 PM
JOE the guy in the red ZO5 thing had a 383 -now were you impressed with that thing- Wait a minute You never take your car to the track now :shades

Syclone0044
01-01-2004, 04:34 PM
I tune on the street doing pulls mostly in 2nd gear and using a laptop datalogger. It costs nothing and I can do 50 "pulls" in a night. I can't imagine paying nearly $100 to get 1 baseline and only 2 pulls. I think that would be worthless to me other than the bragging factor of what my peak #s were. I'm not knocking a dyno in fact I'd like to get to one in Spring, I guess I just don't understand how they are used to tune vehicles. I also know a guy personally who a shop grenaded his fresh built stroker motor on the dyno trying to dyno-tune it.

The best measurement of results is timeslips at the drag strip in my opinion. I am sure there are some cars that make less peak HP but run faster times at the track. I consider the "less HP car" in that one the real winner as long as he runs faster at the track. I build to make the power that will make me run fast times. Dyno testing is too subjective; there are variances between dynos and testing parameters. The environment is not totally realistic either with regards to engine temperature and frontal air flow. Please feel free to enlighten me. (no joke)

Prince Valiant
01-01-2004, 04:58 PM
Dyno's to me can ONLY be considered a tuning tool....let's not forget that not everyone's car has a data port to access in their cars.

I personally think that from a dragstrip trap speed vs dyno, the dyno wins hands down. The strip is no less affected by changes in weather/barometric pressures etc than the local dyno...and it is far more subjected to minute differences that may affect trap speeds like track conditions, how much gas in the tank, wtc...

Not that trap speeds isn't a very very good way of verifying power increases.

But with a dyno I can run an O2 sensor while I run. Establish gains/losses in power throughout the curve. I don't have to wait in staging lanes. I can more accurately run part-throttle tuning.

I agree though, that some people will be under the false impression that the highest peak numbers are in fact the best...which is untrue if the power under the curve is on average down despite running a higher peak number, your still slower.

Case in point is intake manifold choices on my car...if I ran a single plane intake, my peak HP numbers would probably go up 10 even 20hp over my edelbrock performer RPM's numbers...BUT power production below 4500 would almost certianly be down. Especially below 3000rpm. So the net effect would be that while I may be slightly faster at the track as long as my rPM drops aren't too much at the strip, my car would likely be slower on the street.

But with a dyno, one can more clearly see that.

Overall, I don't think the dyno gives you ALOT of advantages over the track, but I do think it does give some. Whether that's worth paying 100-250 bucks for, I don't know...that's up to the individual themselves.

BAD LS1
01-02-2004, 01:28 PM
Well its a horse a piece really.... You got to many varibles with each. Chris thats even more of a reason to go EFI so you CAN data log LOL sorry, just took a sip of carb hateraid:goof . Ive gotten excelent results just spending an after noon on a local frontage road with a full tank of gas, my laptop, and my LM1 wideband o2. Id make a run stop and review it make changes accrodingly and just keep repeating the process till everything looks perfect in the recordings and by the time your done you can actually feel there was physical increase of sorts.
Hell even me and Josh even go out on the same roads and log and evlauate at same times, sometimes running eachother for coparisons. A dyno is like a compression test to me, kinda gives you a rough idea but could mislead you into thinking something else, in this case fast 1/4 times. Where as a 1/4 test is like a leak down which proves actual flaws exactly where they reside unlike compression tests whether it be bad seating valves, head gasket, cyl damage or wear, well in this case poor 1/4 times may indicate or pinpoint exactly where the cam may begin to work and or drop off for example just as effective as dyno. Id rather spend $25 and get the results that really count.

Prince Valiant
01-02-2004, 01:39 PM
I think that's a pretty good analogy tom :thumbsup

But, at the same time, Dyno's are going to show any dips along the curve that might not be perceptible during the course of driving (which your datalogging may show...don't know) But if the dip in power is always there, how would you know from 1/4 testing? Another thing is the nature of the power drop off is readily visible using a dyno chart vs seat of the pants which can also give you ideas as to what is the cause....

...don't get me wrong. I've never used a dyno. I just realize that there are certian things that I am missing out on at the track.

BAD LS1
01-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Prince Valiant
I think that's a pretty good analogy tom :thumbsup

But, at the same time, Dyno's are going to show any dips along the curve that might not be perceptible during the course of driving (which your datalogging may show...don't know) But if the dip in power is always there, how would you know from 1/4 testing? Another thing is the nature of the power drop off is readily visible using a dyno chart vs seat of the pants which can also give you ideas as to what is the cause....

...don't get me wrong. I've never used a dyno. I just realize that there are certian things that I am missing out on at the track.

Exactly!!!

Each have there advantages, you cant acuratly combine the 2 unfortunantly. So i guess technically you cant go wrong with both but once again it all comes down to matter of opinion and we all have strong feelings twoards 1 or other its seems:goof Any neutrals? do i got any neutrals?? LOL:goof