PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience at Beyond Redline?

JRink
10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Not sure where to begin. Long story...

I couldn't leave well enough alone last when December hit last year. I shoulda left well enough enough. Was trapping 126mph on 93 octane, was having loads of fun at Road America last October... then I had the notion I wanted better spoolup on my turbos for road coursing so I opted to go with a bigger displacement motor (3.6 instead of a 3.0). Took my car up to a shop in MN that I had previously gone to a couple times for work/tuning. Had always been happy with the results. This time however, it was a different story.

In early December, I dropped the car, along with the newly built 3.6L shortblock (built out in NY), off at the shop. 10 months later, I finally got it back. The shop closed their doors in Feb while my car was up there. I ended up finding out about the closing from a mutual friend in the Twin Cities area when he stopped by and they told him they're shutting down in a few days. Obviously, this was a bit of a surprise since no one from the shop even told me.

Fast forward 10 months later to last weekend when I couldn't deal with the waiting anymore and told the shop owners who were working on it in their personal garage at their house the last many many months, that I couldn't wait any longer and my patience ran out. I had them deliver it to a friends house in Hudson, WI on Saturday. The car was not finished. It was close to being done, but still had a fair amount of issues that I'm now having to troubleshoot.

A few days prior to delivery of the car, they dynoed it and it netted 600awhp and 631awtq on pure 93 octane. Unfortunately, since it's a different dyno than where it was dynoed last time (the shop is now closed and the dyno is in storage), I have no idea how comparable the numbers are to my old dyno numbers. Regardless, there are a number of issues I need to resolve with the car on my own before I dyno it again... Once I address the problems, I want to re-dyno the car again for a comparable baseline and get a second opinion about a couple things with the setup, AEM, etc. So, I 'm curious if anyone has used Beyond Redline in Green Bay for dynoing and what their experience was. My AEM tune is 90% complete, but I'm really picky about who touches the car and haven't heard much one way or the other about Luke at BR who I think is responsible for tuning the AEM cars up there.

Didn't Twicks (I think that's his name), the guy with the quick DSM, use BR? I thought I read that ages ago, or maybe he told me during a conversation once? I don't remember.

Sure is nice having the car back, even with the minor issues I'm working through. I can definitely say it drives like a different car with the 3.6L vs the 3.0L. The power is deceptive because boost no longer comes on like a shutgun blast out of hell, instead the entire power curve is much more linear and the powerband is a lot broader. Response is instantaneous which should make road coursing at RA and Gingerman more entertaining.

Anyways, feedback about BR is welcome.

Regards,
JR

michelle
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey you! I was asking about you at the BCM car show and those I asked haven't heard from you in awhile. Glad to see you post!

rally_scort
10-03-2008, 07:53 PM
my buddy from neenah took his turbo car to beyond redline.Hes been happy with it so far.He basically dropped the car off with a tune just good enough to limp it there, and ended up paying $495 for a complete tune of the car all said and done.He was using megasquirt, so im sure they could help ya out with the AEM stuff.

forest
10-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about him.

TURTLE
10-03-2008, 10:27 PM
friend of a friend is the owner, and i hear about all the really good stuff that comes out of there... come spring i'm definitely headin up there for a little tuning of my own... and if i'm not mistaken luke, the owner, is one of the only AEM Gold certified tuners in wisconsin... correct me someone if i'm wrong, but i'm just re-stating what was told to me...

Smokey1226
10-03-2008, 10:39 PM
Luke is very very good at what he does. Mr. Zimmer would be able to tell your more as he is great friends with luke and spends a good amount of time on the dyno getting his BEAST of a car setup.

Also a friend who happens to be a local cop here, knows Luke very well and has had quite a few cars done by him.

STANMAN
10-03-2008, 11:02 PM
Heard good things about Redline Jesse, I think your car would be in good hands there. I will email you soon to hear about all the sorrid details off line, I could use the laughs!!!!

Silver86
10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
http://www.w3si.org/images/jrink/signature.jpg

is this your car?

JRink
10-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Wow.... Good to see some of the people I remember are still around. Bob, Josh, Michelle... I'll try to come around more often.

I bought a 2nd Twin Turbo Stealth back in July. It's helped me pass the time while the maroon monster was under the knife again. Man does this one ever feel slow though, lol.

Silver86, yeah... Although for awhile, with it being gone for 10 months, I thought maybe it had gone to the chop shop and had been parted out.

Jesse

domokun
10-04-2008, 08:13 AM
luke blew up my motor on the dyno, which costed me 11k to fix ( upgraded a few things )

that was with a AEM EMS, and not even pushing the car

so take it for what its worth.

Breecher_7
10-04-2008, 08:19 AM
luke blew up my motor on the dyno, which costed me 11k to fix ( upgraded a few things )

Was this the Evo or the Z06? :rolf

I as well have heard nothing but good things. :thumbsup

twicks69
10-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Yes, I do reccomend Beyond Redline -- call up luke -- 920-498-1223
www.beyondredline.com

They are the only shop I trust -- especially with AWD cars and AEM tuning.

The quality, craftsmanship and tuning is top notch.

I couldn't leave well enough alone last when December hit last year. I shoulda left well enough enough. Was trapping 126mph on 93 octane, was having loads of fun at Road America last October... then I had the notion I wanted better spoolup on my turbos for road coursing so I opted to go with a bigger displacement motor (3.6 instead of a 3.0). Took my car up to a shop in MN that I had previously gone to a couple times for work/tuning. Had always been happy with the results. This time however, it was a different story.

In early December, I dropped the car, along with the newly built 3.6L shortblock (built out in NY), off at the shop. 10 months later, I finally got it back. The shop closed their doors in Feb while my car was up there. I ended up finding out about the closing from a mutual friend in the Twin Cities area when he stopped by and they told him they're shutting down in a few days. Obviously, this was a bit of a surprise since no one from the shop even told me.

Fast forward 10 months later to last weekend when I couldn't deal with the waiting anymore and told the shop owners who were working on it in their personal garage at their house the last many many months, that I couldn't wait any longer and my patience ran out. I had them deliver it to a friends house in Hudson, WI on Saturday. The car was not finished. It was close to being done, but still had a fair amount of issues that I'm now having to troubleshoot.

A few days prior to delivery of the car, they dynoed it and it netted 600awhp and 631awtq on pure 93 octane. Unfortunately, since it's a different dyno than where it was dynoed last time (the shop is now closed and the dyno is in storage), I have no idea how comparable the numbers are to my old dyno numbers. Regardless, there are a number of issues I need to resolve with the car on my own before I dyno it again... Once I address the problems, I want to re-dyno the car again for a comparable baseline and get a second opinion about a couple things with the setup, AEM, etc. So, I 'm curious if anyone has used Beyond Redline in Green Bay for dynoing and what their experience was. My AEM tune is 90% complete, but I'm really picky about who touches the car and haven't heard much one way or the other about Luke at BR who I think is responsible for tuning the AEM cars up there.

Didn't Twicks (I think that's his name), the guy with the quick DSM, use BR? I thought I read that ages ago, or maybe he told me during a conversation once? I don't remember.

Sure is nice having the car back, even with the minor issues I'm working through. I can definitely say it drives like a different car with the 3.6L vs the 3.0L. The power is deceptive because boost no longer comes on like a shutgun blast out of hell, instead the entire power curve is much more linear and the powerband is a lot broader. Response is instantaneous which should make road coursing at RA and Gingerman more entertaining.

Regards,
JR

twicks69
10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
friend of a friend is the owner, and i hear about all the really good stuff that comes out of there... come spring i'm definitely headin up there for a little tuning of my own... and if i'm not mistaken luke, the owner, is one of the only AEM Gold certified tuners in wisconsin... correct me someone if i'm wrong, but i'm just re-stating what was told to me...

Are you talking about Neon Bob???

As well, yes, Luke is a Gold Certified AEM tuner, and distributor.

twicks69
10-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Luke is very very good at what he does. Mr. Zimmer would be able to tell your more as he is great friends with luke and spends a good amount of time on the dyno getting his BEAST of a car setup.

Also a friend who happens to be a local cop here, knows Luke very well and has had quite a few cars done by him.

Ahh...John the Cop -- or just call him Rabbit. I always get a kick out of John, as he seriously does alot of "Super Troopers" stuff with his unmarked camaro in the Wind Lake area. :rolf

Smokey1226
10-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Ahh...John the Cop -- or just call him Rabbit. I always get a kick out of John, as he seriously does alot of "Super Troopers" stuff with his unmarked camaro in the Wind Lake area. :rolf

Call him Cup Cake then wink at him.....$10 says right away Those damn guys from the gas tation :rolf

Boostaddct
10-04-2008, 04:08 PM
I've only heard good things to this point myself, but if you want another place to go I'd say AMS down in IL. They are probably the top DSM/EVO tuner in the country and could probably finish anything else that needs to be done and get a perfect tune on that thing. Btw beautiful Stealth you have there!

badass88gt
10-05-2008, 04:18 PM

I find this interesting.....whats the story with this?

SmokinRAM114
10-05-2008, 04:31 PM

Regards,
JR

wow that sucks...

on a side note i believe ur nieghbor (justin) works for Spring City electric? he was telling me about his nieghbor who has a crazy fast 3k and sent out the motor and blah blah and i no he lives out near you somewhere.

srt4eh
10-06-2008, 04:46 AM

lol....that guy pulled me over on my way to my moms in Burlington once....:thumbsup

DRK
10-06-2008, 01:24 PM
What about that poor guys Viper they fucked up and drove through the salt storm before delivery? I think that was at the shop they had that folded under wasn't it? Or isn't this the same shop?

badass88gt
10-06-2008, 01:50 PM
That was Big 3.

twicks69
10-06-2008, 03:41 PM
I did find another review on the Wisconsin 3si forums also:

http://www.w3si.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3155

twicks69
10-06-2008, 05:39 PM

I would like the details on this, as I am sitting next to Luke currently, and he also wants to know who this is, the car he tuned and when, as he most certainly did not blow up your stuff.

twicks69
10-06-2008, 05:41 PM
What about that poor guys Viper they fucked up and drove through the salt storm before delivery? I think that was at the shop they had that folded under wasn't it? Or isn't this the same shop?

wrong shop -- that was Big 3 performance in Waukesha, WI.

DRK
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM
wrong shop -- that was Big 3 performance in Waukesha, WI.
I know it's not the same shop, I was told it's owned/run by the same people though.

TURTLE
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
Are you talking about Neon Bob???

As well, yes, Luke is a Gold Certified AEM tuner, and distributor.

that's the one!

JRink
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
wow that sucks...

on a side note i believe ur nieghbor (justin) works for Spring City electric? he was telling me about his nieghbor who has a crazy fast 3k and sent out the motor and blah blah and i no he lives out near you somewhere.

HA. That's some crazy shit. Yeah, Justin lives two houses down from me. I think he works for Pieper though.

The whole experience was a nightmare for sure... I should have left well enough alone and kept the car the same as it was last year. It ran great, performed well, etc. I just can't seem to stop myself sometimes from trying a newer setup each year.

JR

JRink
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I'll probably call Luke at BR once I get a couple of the outstanding issues from the previous shop sorted out. Already fixed the biggest problem which was a throttle plate that was sticking open and also sticking closed. Made it near impossible to drive around. Previous shop did a bunch of things to "try" and fix it, but it was still working like ass when I got it back so I just ordered a replacement Q45 TB off ebay, tossed it in, made my idle adjustments in the AEM and then took it out for testing, trying to break it... So far, so good, no more sticking throttle body. I have no idea why the other one wasn't working right. I can only think something got warped from heat when they welded the coolant/vacuum passages shut, but who knows. Or maybe it was a bad unit from the get-go (they put this TB in last Spring). Maybe the shaft was just slightly bent or something...

Next issue I'm tackling is the erratic boost control. The boost is controlled via the AEM EMS and a AEM solenoid. Unfortunately, it works for donkey-doo. It overboosts by 5psi or more, and constantly hits fuel cut on re-spools. Then rather than coming back down to the target boost, it undershoots it by 3-4 psi for 1500rpm or so before coming back up to where it should. Today I ordered a Blitz DSBC Spec-R to replace this AEM solenoid. I'm hoping the ability to manually tune the gain and the ratio settings will help me resolve this. Seems like the AEM just can't react fast enough with the extra displacement and quicker spool on this new setup. Have to wait and see.... A bit bummed the AEM solenoid didn't work though as I really anticipated being able to control boost via the AEM EMS to get the extra functionality of boost control per rpm/cell. Oh well.

Once I get the boost issue addressed, then I have to deal with the transmission that still has a notchy 3rd gear and very bad gear whine in gears 1-4 during normal cruise. I sent it off to be repaired for these things, but of course, when it came back, it still had all the same symptoms. Fun!

Also have to determine why the Ford IAC motor they put in to replace my stock IAC (stock IAC doesn't work with the Q45 TB) intermittently doesn't work and gets 'stuck'. Very odd.... Also have to address why my car is suddenly showing 20psi more fuel pressure at idle than when I delivered the car. Not very happy about that. I'm looking at some very high fuel pressures being run under boost. Not the greatest of scenarios IMO. Unfortunately, adjusting the FP means re-doing the entire fuel map in the AEM. Joy.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll be giving Luke at BR a call in the next week or so most likely. Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

JR

Z28Envy
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I would like the details on this, as I am sitting next to Luke currently, and he also wants to know who this is, the car he tuned and when, as he most certainly did not blow up your stuff.

If you do some searching under his screen name I think he talks about it a little. Believe his name is Scott and drives an Evo.

SmokinRAM114
10-06-2008, 09:38 PM
HA. That's some crazy shit. Yeah, Justin lives two houses down from me. I think he works for Pieper though.

The whole experience was a nightmare for sure... I should have left well enough alone and kept the car the same as it was last year. It ran great, performed well, etc. I just can't seem to stop myself sometimes from trying a newer setup each year.

JR

correct, we just merged with pieper, and took there residential department(justin) look outside and look at his van, same color same van but it now says spring city electric:thumbsup

twicks69
10-06-2008, 10:54 PM
I know it's not the same shop, I was told it's owned/run by the same people though.

Nope, The people that owned Big 3 did just open up a shop in green bay, but it is not this one.

twicks69
10-06-2008, 10:57 PM
If you do some searching under his screen name I think he talks about it a little. Believe his name is Scott and drives an Evo.

Hmmm...thats funny, because I looked through his past posts and he claimed to have a 2.1L destroker with a dogbox and a GT42R turbo -- that car was NEVER at Beyond Redline, nor did Luke ever tune it. He would definitely remember. I smell BS.

Smokey1226
10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Tim wouldnt lie, He's not that type of guy.

twicks69
10-07-2008, 07:35 PM
Also, here is just one example of what has come out of their shop lately.

408in^3 LSX-powered, kenne-bell supercharged, stock-appearing AWD Typhoon: 570AWHP/670Tq - Automatic, full weight street truck.

Just put down 10.9's at 132mph at WIR 10/8/08

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=63253

domokun
10-07-2008, 07:38 PM

bs he didnt, ask him about a silver evo with a 35r ;) on pump gas going for a mpg tune, and he blew it up

I think I might still have the video on my phone.:durr

twicks69
10-09-2008, 05:47 AM
bs he didnt, ask him about a silver evo with a 35r ;) on pump gas going for a mpg tune, and he blew it up

I think I might still have the video on my phone.:durr

Scott, I really think you need to explain the entire story before blaming it on someone's shop that put your car on the dyno.

How about the fact that the car was running a stock-block with GT35R turbo setup, and was driven HARD.

How about the fact that the car was to Buschur Racing for dyno-tuning first, and the numbers were lack-luster, so you then went to AMS and re-dynoed only to get unimpressive numbers again. At that point, you should have understood the fact that there is something wrong.

So then you brought it up to Luke's shop and had him dyno it. BS you brought it up there for a fuel efficiency (mpg) tune -- that is a load of horsie poopoo. Luke did regret not doing a leak down test prior to putting your car on his dyno, but the car was not in for vehicle problems -- that is your responsibility to notify the tuner of the problems you are facing, so that it can be trouble-shooted first before going on a dyno.

What about the massive blowby problems your engine was having? Your engine let go from all the abuse it had before it got there -- don't tell me that three dyno pulls to make a baseline run caused your engine to blow up -- that is crap.

How about the fact that your fuel injectors were requiring cleaning as the flow numbers between them were severely off, causing some of the issues that your car was facing prior to being on the dyno? The fact that Luke didn't charge you for any of the dyno time, labor to remove the fuel injectors; didn't charge you for the shipping of your injectors to get cleaned, and then YOU didn't pay for the $60.00 bill to have your injectors flow matched and cleaned.

You still owe Beyond Redline the bill for cleaning your fuel injectors -- its $60.00.

I think that you were sufficiently hooked up for the dyno time and labor, as Luke felt bad for you since your motor died after its long abusive life. He even offered to hook you up with a good price on a rebuild. And you skipped out on paying for your fuel injectors to be cleaned.

If anything, I would want to see you pay your bill, as it clearly makes you look like you are negligant and uncaring about anyone other than yourself.

Here are your past quotes even backing the fact that you abuse the shit out of your car, and blow your stuff up just fine on your own (I don't even need to go in to the fact that your story is all shit-talk):

well, after blowing up the evo motor this past year, and putting it back together and getting parts in, I pulled the head today and needs some work.

well, lets just say she needs to be cleaned up ;) AEM EMS both 3 and 4 injector drivers stopped working, cylinders got hot and melted......and melted to the head :-D

this motor had a hard 56k miles. VERY hard, a lot of HPDE, auto x, NASA, time attacks, drag, highway pulls. you get the idea, this build is costing me about 14k ( completely new build from new amd 2.3 stroker motor, IC, turbo kit, cams, new EMS, clutch, trans rebuild, and tune ) and ill try to upload a pic off my phone of the 4th cylinder :)

42r twin scroll, built 2.1, cosworth head, AEM, slicks
I think thats everything for the new year :)
Im ready for you fockers at RSDs
its only a 4 cylinder :)

I have a Evo, looking for 800hp this summer. I have fun everytime I get into it. grant the wing is off, I dont have a big loud exhaust. no stickers. Im function of fashion. ( stop tech brakes, 18x9.5 for autocross etc ) its not a boy ricer in my eyes

after this year of drag, ( or even in the middle if I get bored ) its being turned into a dedicated road course car. ( NASA, and hopefully goto nats for SCCA ) ( I have 6 years of bondurant racing school under my belt, and I helped teach classes for skip barber in elkhart for 3 years )

now again, im baised. for some...they think its boy ricer..and even more so since they are more "affordable" now. just pull of the car on how you make it

also, I had a S4 prior to this car, chipped, exhaust, ko4's, intercoolers, intake, thats it..I think. I put down 452. BUT it wasnt nearly as fun as the evo. it rode decent. far from reliable ( timing belts and turbo's are a *****! )

My brother has a STi, its a alright car, but once you make decent power, you hit a wall where you have to spend a CRAP ton to make more ( and be somewhat reliable )

prior to this new build, I was at 604hp on BR's dyno, and NEVER had a problem ( besides be filling up with 89 octane once, and it was getting KR up the arse! )

I just dont want you guys to think im coming across as a cocky person. I just like racing cars that I know will beat me if I mess up, car messes up etc. I like challenges. so I think this will be a good one!

I used to own a WS6 before I got the evo. so im not new to LS1 potential ;)
I'm not one for dyno racing either.
I just think it will be fun. there arnt many street cars that are competitive with me anymore ( NOT SOUNDING BIG HEADED )
with pump 93 an meth, I can run around 32 psi during the day, 35-36 at night. which puts me VERY close to the same power as you. thats why I think lining up will be fun! that is all

im slow from a roll? hehe, I run 750's on the hwy with just meth an run away.

but not to sound cocky, ill run you just for fun. I like doing that better anyways, from a dig an roll

and I made 512 on pump ( no meth )

and a 35r isnt the most common turbo, FP green and 50trim, 3076 are the most common.

but to give you run down of mods

2.3 stroker
35r
AEM EMS
cosworth 280 cams
port polished heads
exedy HD clutch

thats the big stuff.

there are some guys are making 700ish with my mods on c16, but im running a more conservative tune.

just a evo with a turbo kit, an other stuff.

ill run pump with meth or 110, your call.

I wanna do a call out

me vs you at RSD, you can run slicks, I will run street tires :)

500 bux.

sweet, I can run 32Ibs on meth!

time to kick some ass:rolf

what about meth. I spray methanol for the street. that counts as street right?

Have a nice day.

forest
10-09-2008, 11:55 AM
^^^^^^ now that is some funny shit. Sounds like Luke is a good guy to work with, I would not hesitate sending somone to him for AWD stuff :thumbsup BTW nice job twicks69, hellofa search

ohmysti
10-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Have a nice day.

Ouch!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n67/ivoodoou/Ownedcar.jpg

Feature Pony
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM
I would ask Dr. Jack the owner of Xwing 1 and 2 the worlds fastest 3000GT VR4 where he has his stuff done. Hitman is a buddy of his and maybe he can get you in contact otherwise I can talk to my buddy Scott who was also into DSMs to see if I can get his info to you. Dr. Jack is a stand up guy and he knows a lot I mean a lot about the awd dsm stuff.

twicks69
10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I would ask Dr. Jack the owner of Xwing 1 and 2 the worlds fastest 3000GT VR4 where he has his stuff done. Hitman is a buddy of his and maybe he can get you in contact otherwise I can talk to my buddy Scott who was also into DSMs to see if I can get his info to you. Dr. Jack is a stand up guy and he knows a lot I mean a lot about the awd dsm stuff.

Mopar Scott and Jack are both top notch!

JRink
10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
I know where Xwing gets his work done (I talk with him from time to time), but I don't need fab work/machining done, that's already complete (thankfully). Xwing also tunes his AEM himself... Last place he dynoed was a few years back on a Dynopack down in IL with his old setup just to see what the #'s were. (unless I'm mistaken).

I don't need the tune completely re-done. The original post said I'm in process of fixing a couple 'issues' the previous shop borked up and couldn't finish before I took delivery of the vehicle (I got tired of waiting after 10 longgg months). Once I finish addressing the issues I'm dealing with, I just want to re-dyno at a reputable place for some feedback on the current tune, et al.

Interesting post Tim about the EVO car, heh. Wow - I'll leave it at that.

Boostaddct
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
You won't find anyone in the midwest better than AMS or Sound Performance for tuning.