PDA

View Full Version : Ford's reaction to "Flash of Genius" movie ROFL!!!

07ROUSHSTG3
10-03-2008, 07:53 AM
I remember a thread the other day about the movie that tells the story of the inventor of the intermittent wiper. i couldn;t find it but I got a little laugh over this!

To: All Ford and Lincoln Mercury Dealers
Subject: Public Affairs Update: "Flash of Genius" Movie

As you might be aware, a new Universal Studios movie titled "Flash of Genius" opening this Friday, Oct. 3, portrays automakers, most notably Ford, as corporate bullies who stole inventor Robert Kearns' idea for the intermittent wipers.

While Mr. Kearns filed patent infringement lawsuits and went to court against several automakers, the movie focuses exclusively on his legal battle with Ford. Kearns first showed his invention to Ford and worked for a time with company engineers on intermittent windshield wipers in the 1960s. When the two sides could not reach a deal and Ford introduced its own intermittent wiper, Kearns sued Ford.

Early media reviews have been mixed. While the movie takes dramatic license in a number of areas – as do most "based-on-a-true-story" films – we believe it is best not to retry to the case in the media.

With that in mind, here are the key messages representing Ford's position:

While there are inaccuracies in the film, which is obviously a product of the entertainment industry, Ford sees no value in rehashing the history of a case that was resolved in a court of law almost 20 years ago.

Our reputation is – and should be – based on a 105-year legacy of automotive innovation that has provided transportation to the world and a current transformation plan focused on delivering products with the industry-leading fuel efficiency, safety, quality and smart technology that our customers desire.

Ford did not willfully violate Kearns' patent, as a jury found almost two decades ago.

The intermittent windshield wiper was developed by hundreds of engineers from various companies as an evolution of existing automotive and electrical components.
We also have posted the following information online for consumers:

http://ford.digitalsnippets.com/tvandfilm/#flash-of-genius

Media Inquiries

It is not necessary to respond to media inquiries on this subject. However, if you are contacted, please direct media inquiries to Wes Sherwood of the Ford Communications team

Fact vs. Fiction Q&A for your information. (Not for external distribution or use with the media)

Q. Did Robert Kearns invent the intermittent windshield wiper?
A. Like many advancements, hundreds of engineers developed the many pieces that make up intermittent windshield wipers.

Ford offered the first variable-speed "intermittent" wind shield wipers in 1941. The vacuum-powered system drew power from the engine intake system. A Ford engineer, Clarence Hothem, demonstrated the first electrically powered intermittent wipers in 1959. Ford began offering them in 1961.

General Motors and Motorola filed patent applications for their intermittent windshield wiper designs in 1960. Other major suppliers and inventors were active in the field at the time. Kearns applied for his patent in December 1964.

Ford introduced the technology as a possible differentiator but quickly found that there wasn't customer demand. It wasn't until more than a decade later, when Ford packaged intermittent wipers with other popular features, that they began selling.

Q. Did you ever give Kearns credit for his invention?
A. Kearns did not invent electric intermittent wipers. We believe the jury's judgment of $5 million (adjusted to $10.2 million with interest) was reasonable compared to the $250 million Kearns demanded. The jury clearly agreed that Kearns did not invent the wipers but instead improved on existing technologies. The jury considered the many alternative designs available at the time from established such suppliers as Motorola and Bosch when it determined damages of $5 million.

Q. Did Kearns win the case against Ford?
A. Yes, but importantly, the jury found that Ford did not willfully infringe upon Kearn's patent.

Q. Did Ford ever ask Kearns to manufacture the wipers?
A. No, and there wasn't any evidence that we had ever asked him to seriously bid for the business. Ford has well-documented bidding process that allows suppliers to bid for business based on variety of factors, including innovation, price, quality and reliability.

Q. What do you believe the movie overlooked?
A. The movie portrays Kearns as the victim of corporate greed when, in fact, we believe he just wasn't capable of becoming a major automotive supplier. Inventing and manufacturing are two different worlds. This is why Ford chose its own route.

In addition:

Kearns sued Ford for $250 million – this is never mentioned in the movie.
Kearns updated his patent several time while working with Ford engineers, including reviewing Ford's intermittent wiper designs.
Other major automakers, inventors and suppliers – including GM, Motorola and Bosch – had either patented electric intermittent wiper designs or were working on the technology before Kearns patented his design.
The movie conveniently draws attention away from the jury's full ruling that Ford did not willfully violate Kearns' patent – the crux of the entire movie and the reason earlier settlement offers were not reached.
Kearns' son, Dennis, told the Detroit Free Press recently that he drives a 2007 Ford Mustang and no longer has any animosity toward Ford.

DurtyKurty
10-03-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2N9ta1Hmiw

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-03-2008, 10:18 AM
I didn't read all that crap but it does not surprise me that Hollywood is going after American Auto Companies, just like lefty publications have been doing for years.

I expect around 17 people developed the intermitent wiper, not just one guy.
Its like saying "Henry Ford invented" the V8.

DurtyKurty
10-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I didn't read all that crap but it does not surprise me ........

LOL! I love it when people don't read any of the info that is placed right in front of them but feel compelled to comment on it anyway. :thumbsup

Irish
10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
What about the tucker?

Car Guy
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
What about it...??? It was a car that was YEARS ahead of it's time that was 'squashed' by the big 3 because they were afraid it would 'take over' the automotive world.....:)

Windsors 03 Cobra
10-03-2008, 12:18 PM
LOL! I love it when people don't read any of the info that is placed right in front of them but feel compelled to comment on it anyway. :thumbsup

Darn, wish I could have seen the response before the edit, I suuppose it was some crap ass ad hominem attack. :rolf
I read all that crap and found out my guess was exactly right, over 1700 engineers worked on making intermittent wipers right. :thumbsup

Sprayaway Fox
10-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Darn, wish I could have seen the response before the edit, I suuppose it was some crap ass ad hominem attack. :rolf
I read all that crap and found out my guess was exactly right, over 1700 engineers worked on making intermittent wipers right. :thumbsup

Seriously? Sure but Its easier to design a "new" part when you have seen the old one. Eric you know this from the "old" place you worked at. Think of a idea it becomes theres. they patten it and you get sheet besides a THANK YOU. Then they make BUCU bucks on it. I wonder how many cars they sold because of that highlighted feature.

DurtyKurty
10-03-2008, 12:50 PM

It's good that you brought yourself to read all them words.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions. I never said I disagreed with you.

P.S. The edit was simply for a grammatical error.

customgtp
10-04-2008, 03:25 PM
(FORD)Kearns updated his patent several time while working with Ford engineers, including reviewing Ford's intermittent wiper designs.

several time? or several times? ugh??