PDA

View Full Version : NEED HELP ASAP...!!! Please read.....

Car Guy
10-02-2008, 03:46 PM
Alright here's the deal, I'm not too happy about this (fuck!ng irate is more like it :fire ) so please keep this thread to the point. This was supposed to be a 1 hour job so I need to resolve the situation like yesterday.....:rolleyes:

I'm replacing spark plugs on my good friend's `97 Sunfire with the 2.2L. To make a long story short a small (but not too small) piece of the porcelain from the spark plug fell into the cylinder. This has NEVER even come close to happening to me before because I am OVER THE TOP careful with everything that I do, which is why I want to stab myself in the head with a screwdriver. Anywho; I tried the vacuum method, the blow gun method, and a couple others that had no real chance of working but I'm getting desperate so I figured I would give them a shot.....

IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MIGHT HELP ME GET IT OUT P-L-E-A-S-E SPEAK UP...!!! I'm rarely (if ever!) stuck in a 'corner' of this magnitude so any help would be appreciated x 1,000,000,000 and then some.....:thumbsup

~Justin :thumbsup

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:48 PM
can you see the piece in there?

pOrk
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Use a magnet rod and chewed up piece of chewing gum. Be careful and don't lose the gum :)

juicedimpss
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Alright here's the deal, I'm not too happy about this (fuck!ng irate is more like it :fire ) so please keep this thread to the point. This was supposed to be a 1 hour job so I need to resolve the situation like yesterday.....:rolleyes:

I'm replacing spark plugs on my good friend's `97 Sunfire with the 2.2L. To make a long story short a small (but not too small) piece of the porcelain from the spark plug fell into the cylinder. This has NEVER even come close to happening to me before because I am OVER THE TOP careful with everything that I do, which is why I want to stab myself in the head with a screwdriver. Anywho; I tried the vacuum method, the blow gun method, and a couple others that had no real chance of working but I'm getting desperate so I figured I would give them a shot.....

IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS THAT MIGHT HELP ME GET IT OUT P-L-E-A-S-E SPEAK UP...!!! I'm rarely (if ever!) stuck in a 'corner' of this magnitude so any help would be appreciated x 1,000,000,000 and then some.....:thumbsup

some grease on a stick and try to fish back through the sparkplug hole?

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM

coat hanger and a dot of Krazy glue.sit it on there for like a min then try to pull it out.

scaleracer
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
2 sided tape on something that will fit in there..? :confused

Russ Jerome
10-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Leave the plug out, run the motor any tach it up.
Im not kidding the porcelin is so brittle it will get
sent out the plug hole or the exhaust valve with
no damage at all. Take a hammer to a peice of
plug on the ground, now picture incontil valve with
a spring as a buffer.

We're not dealing with a turbocharged vehicle where
the fallout could possibly go thru the turbine that
is spinning at 30,000 rpm.

Russ (been pretending to be an ASE Master Tech for
25 years) Jerome.

Russ Jerome
10-02-2008, 04:14 PM
If your realy concerned a non Osha blow gun and a
piece of 1/4 plastic hose (synflex) directed into the
cylinder has pushed heavy crap out, assuming a good
supply of 125+psi of shop air and a 3/8" ID hose is
available.

Car Guy
10-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Plenty of good ideas everybody (THANK YOU!), and the one question I forgot to ask was what Russ just touched upon in the previous post…..

So just start it up without that cylinder's plug and wait for it to get 'chewed up' until it is gone...??? I honestly had thought about doing that but wasn't going to just try it without knowing for sure if it would cause any real damage. I also just took some pictures after posting this thread knowing that most would be curious, these pictures are of what’s left so use your imagination as to how big the ‘missing’ piece is.....

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/DSCN6563.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/KarGuy/DSCN6567.jpg

If anybody has anymore input please feel free to chime in. I seriously need to go take '5' and close my eyes because I have stressed myself out to the point of now having a migraine headache, something in which I haven't had for YEARS.....:eek:

Russ Jerome
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
No stressing, its a peice of ceramic I could crush
with my teeth!!!! Put you finger in a valve, will
take 1/1000 of a second to chew your finger to
the knuckel without a miss fire!

The electrode is in tact, no iron to tear anything up.
If you want to take one more stab at it, bar the motor
over till TDC, coat hanger and a glob of grease to try
and stick it. If everything goes wrong the ceramic
will make contact with the exhaust valve, the spring
of the valves will buffer it on that stroke and will be
sent out the exhaust on the next stroke with no damage.

I've fed 12ltr NA Diesel truck motors penny's at WOT
just to hear them shoot out the 5" exhaust, have fed
cig butts to turbocharged Cummins just to watch the
but get eaten by the turbo. Pulled washers off pistons
on SBC's, melted into the piston after years of running
that way from the last dumbass mechanic dropped them!

Where's this car at I'll come do it and take the blame.

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 05:13 PM
I've fed 12ltr NA Diesel truck motors penny's at WOT just to hear them shoot out the 5" exhaust

That is awsome, can I request a video of this in action! :rolf:goof:rolf:goof

wrath
10-02-2008, 09:20 PM
near TDC and an airhose with a non-OSHA blowoff gun with a piece of 5/16" vinyl water hose. If you're really worried about it break it into pieces then do it. As you probably know, the porcelain is really "soft". The smaller it is the easier it'll blow out.

I've had to break them up before and fish them out with air and a lot of time. Once you get most of it out or the pieces are small just start it up without the spark plug in that hole.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
did you get it out?

you could always do what we have to do to get the plugs out of the 04/05 3V 5.4 motor......take off the head!

u_say_go
10-02-2008, 09:36 PM
russ is dead nuts on this one. I had a Mazda 626 with a way bigger chunk of porcelin in the cylinder than what you're dealing with. leave the plug out of that cylinder, start the car and rev the piss out of it, it'll work.

Car Guy
10-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Well I took my much needed nap (2 hours! :stare ) and then returned to the garage with a clean slate minus the migraine :devil . I figured that one more shot at getting it out in one piece was in order so I pulled out the vacuum again. Well this time I put the piston at BDC and it gave me much more room to play with. I jammed the 1/4" hose in there (attached to the vacuum hose with duct tape) and about the fifth time I pulled it out I had it stuck to the end...!!! I almost made some 'happy' in my pants when I saw it and was relieved to say the least.....:drool:

:banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1: :banana1:

Thanks again for all of the suggestions fellow BCM'ers...!!! :thumbsup

u_say_go
10-02-2008, 10:13 PM
atta boy! but next time, keep the plug out and just rev it out of the cylinder like Russ and I said....it works!.
glad it worked out for you. you'll be able to sleep tonight now