PDA

View Full Version : Is "race fuel" cheating?

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 01:03 PM
On many of the Automotive forums I frequent, the use of "race fuel" in a "street car" on public roads is considered cheating.

Personally I use good fuel whenever I have the $$ and time to get it. My car runs fine on 93 yet I enjoy the added power race fuel brings.

What does BCM think?

SBC-Fox
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
I wouldnt call it cheating. How ever imo if you cant drive your car to the gas station fill up and drive off it is not a street car.

Smokey1226
10-02-2008, 01:13 PM
See i dont understand this, forget that i even sell it....

The SBF that im setting up right now for our Street 66 stang, would be considered a street car in everyones eyes. But if i go 12:1 comp then i would need race gas, if i go 10.5 to 1 then i could run pump (but seeing as i have it at my finger tips we'll always run with race gas in the tank)

So does that mean my car is no longer a street car?

Tell the guys with big cubes and low comp. to stfu!

juicedimpss
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
race fuel is cheating as much as nitrous is cheating....

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
See i dont understand this, forget that i even sell it....

The SBF that im setting up right now for our Street 66 stang, would be considered a street car in everyones eyes. But if i go 12:1 comp then i would need race gas, if i go 10.5 to 1 then i could run pump (but seeing as i have it at my finger tips we'll always run with race gas in the tank)

So does that mean my car is no longer a street car?

Tell the guys with big cubes and low comp. to stfu!

I wouldn't go 12:1, if you have to run race gas because of compression, my opinion is you might as well get as much power as you can, so you might as well step up to 13:1-14:1 compression! You prob. threw "12:1" as an example, I just wanted to throw my .02 out there pertaining to comp. and race gas.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Cheating is lieing about what you have. If you are straight up about what you have, I don't consider that cheating. No matter what the power combo is.

70 cutlass 442
10-02-2008, 01:23 PM
agrred with boosted, if you cant fill up at ALL gas stations, then its not a street car.

Sprayaway Fox
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
race fuel is cheating as much as nitrous is cheating....

Nope, if your in for a heavy nite of spraying I dont think so but car should be able to be on pumpgas, or if running at the drag to topp it off with a tank. Do you think a cam that needs a vaccum can is streetable? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Smokey1226
10-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I wouldn't go 12:1, if you have to run race gas because of compression, my opinion is you might as well get as much power as you can, so you might as well step up to 13:1-14:1 compression! You prob. threw "12:1" as an example, I just wanted to throw my .02 out there pertaining to comp. and race gas.

damn your good! Yeah the engine builder said 14:1 but i just used 12:1 for the sake of arguement.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I thought this was a cheating thread, not a "what is and what is not a street car" thread. Both are two different cans of worms.

jbiscuit

now you are talkin. A 14:1 streetcar sounds fun!

juicedimpss
Nope, if your in for a heavy nite of spraying I dont think so but car should be able to be on pumpgas, or if running at the drag to topp it off with a tank. Do you think a cam that needs a vaccum can is streetable? Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

manual brakes dont need a vac can.
:devil

jbiscuit
10-02-2008, 01:28 PM
manual brakes dont need a vac can.
:devil

quote for truth here :shades

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 01:29 PM
the way i see it is if you cant legally pump it straight into your car its not a street car if it runs on race gas.

WhatsADSM
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Cheating? No, but as others said I would consider it less of a street car.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
damn your good! Yeah the engine builder said 14:1 but i just used 12:1 for the sake of arguement.

I have always wanted to build a high winding, high comp. solid roller, small block N/A motor. I will some day. I know it might not make as much power as a blown,spray, or turbo motor but, I think it would be a complete blast to drive. Especially if it was in an old rod of some sort. I love old school!

Waver
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
I dont think it is cheating. If you can afford it, and your car likes it, why not.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Okay here we go.... 90 mustang, Tremec, 8.8 blah blah blah nothing changed but the motor

Stock 302 long block on pump gas with any where from 100 shot to a 200 shot... Street Car?
14:1 302 on race gas, being the only change to the drive train Not a Street Car?

BTW you can get race gas at the pump, it is just not as available as it was in the late 60's.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 8 (7 members and 1 guests)

IRISH*, 427 S/C, 4eyedstang, DoubleAron, Smokey1226, Sprayaway Fox, yellow wagon

Love that option

jbiscuit
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
there is a guy I talked to last year at the Solid Gold Dare car show that had the nastiest sounding 283 in a Nova wagon. It was like 12.5:1, solid lifters, big cam, ported fuelies etc and the thing was just plain mean. We saw him get on it a bit on Layton Ave when we left and the thing wound out really nice. I loved it!

Sprayaway Fox
10-02-2008, 01:37 PM
It better be fast if its running racegas.

juicedimpss
10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
im not seeing the need for race gas,you CAN make plenty of power on 93

Smokey1226
10-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Okay here we go.... 90 mustang, Tremec, 8.8 blah blah blah nothing changed but the motor

Stock 302 long block on pump gas with any where from 100 shot to a 200 shot... Street Car?
14:1 302 on race gas, being the only change to the drive train Not a Street Car?

BTW you can get race gas at the pump, it is just not as available as it was in the late 60's.

Thats a damn good point, because thats what were building right now. 302 NA block 11.5:1 comp, Pretty big Cam, Awesome heads, stock 66 body with a subframes, upgraded brakes, and rearend to hold the power. I could get by with pumpgas but like i said due to having race gas, we're going to mix for the engines sake.

Does that mean i now have a race/drag car? 245 street tires? lol

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:41 PM
there is a guy I talked to last year at the Solid Gold Dare car show that had the nastiest sounding 283 in a Nova wagon. It was like 12.5:1, solid lifters, big cam, ported fuelies etc and the thing was just plain mean. We saw him get on it a bit on Layton Ave when we left and the thing wound out really nice. I loved it!

They are violent little bastards for what they were! I love cool shit like that. Before technologies made it really complicated... Don't get me wrong, we are making more power than our father's did on lower octane. It's just something about being so simple yet radical at the same time.

jbiscuit
the right trans-converter-gears will go a long ways too. A pump gas, 9.5:1 SBC in a Nova will move out fine with a 3500 stall and 4.56s

HY35F2T
Thats a damn good point, because thats what were building right now. 302 NA block 11.5:1 comp, Pretty big Cam, Awesome heads, stock 66 body with a subframes, upgraded brakes, and rearend to hold the power. I could get by with pumpgas but like i said due to having race gas, we're going to mix for the engines sake.

no cuz the block is still gonna own you when you make to much power.;)

FourEyedFord
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
This debate is so funny!

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM

PICS!!! Sounds like on awesome project. I want to see a progress thread!

Car Guy
Who really cares...??? :goof

jbiscuit
They are violent little bastards for what they were! I love cool shit like that. Before technologies made it really complicated... Don't get me wrong, we are making more power than our father's did on lower octane. It's just something about being so simple yet radical at the same time.

exactly right. New technology is hard to beat. But these old door stop 2.02s will do just fine for me :headbang

FourEyedFord
10-02-2008, 01:49 PM
No offence to anyone here, but I think a strictly race gas motor would be kind of a b!tch on the street. It would make longer distance traveling a gamble unless you have a huge tank. As far as at the track with race gas, why the heck not if your motor can utilize it! The tuning window with a good tank of race gas is far wider than on inconsistant pump gas! (True pump gas not VP 93)

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 01:51 PM
the way i see it is if you cant legally pump it straight into your car its not a street car if it runs on race gas.

There are pumps where you can put UNLEADED race fuel directly into your car. You even pay @ the pump :)

im not seeing the need for race gas,you CAN make plenty of power on 93

For me there is power left on the table when using 93oct pump gas. I *could* use race fuel settings on pump gas but I feel that could potentialy damage the engine.
In short I don't feel "safe" maxing out my hardware on 93 pump gas.

Irish
10-02-2008, 01:52 PM
No offence to anyone here, but I think a strictly race gas motor would be kind of a b!tch on the street. It would make longer distance traveling a gamble unless you have a huge tank. As far as at the track with race gas, why the heck not if your motor can utilize it! The tuning window with a good tank of race gas is far wider than on inconsistant pump gas! (True pump gas not VP 93)

But is it cheating?

FourEyedFord
10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
But is it cheating?

I wouldn't call it cheating at all! What are race gas users most likely putting it in? (Supercharged, turbocharged, or NOS motors-isn't all of that cheating anyway? :D)

Irish
10-02-2008, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't call it cheating at all! What are race gas users most likely putting it in? (Supercharged, turbocharged, or NOS motors-isn't all of that cheating anyway? :D)

I agree, it's not cheating. Like I said before none of it is cheating if you are straight up about what you have. Now if you are hiding sh1t, and trying to sandbag in order to beat a guy for money that you know you have covered,
I consider that cheating.

Some say cheating is winning. I hate watching any sporting event where it is all one sided. I get into it more if it is really close.

DRK
10-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Just run E85, it's widely available at most any fuel stations anymore, will support 16:1 comp, burns much cleaner in the chamber, carries it's own oxygen to the chamber, and smells awesome when you burn it. I run a 13:1 motor on it and it works just fine for me @ $2.89 a gallon

juicedimpss
10-02-2008, 02:04 PM
its only cheating if you are class racing where they have a "pump gas" rule.
/subject

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM
There are pumps where you can put UNLEADED race fuel directly into your car. You even pay @ the pump :)

For me there is power left on the table when using 93oct pump gas. I *could* use race fuel settings on pump gas but I feel that could potentialy damage the engine.
In short I don't feel "safe" maxing out my hardware on 93 pump gas.

well sure e85 would be considered race fuel but you can pump it in your car legally un like race gas which im sure everyone here thinks as leaded fuel.

Crawlin
10-02-2008, 02:05 PM
This debate is so funny!

Agreed...

why is 93 gas not considered race gas?

in theory, it is comapred to the 87 regular grade that EVERY other car on the road uses.

So 87 vs 93 is about the same as 93 vs 100 octane.

so what's the big deal?

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 02:08 PM
well sure e85 would be considered race fuel but you can pump it in your car legally un like race gas which im sure everyone here thinks as leaded fuel.

FYI you can pump 100 Octane Unleaded "race fuel" into your car. There are gas stations that do this.

Cryptic
10-02-2008, 02:29 PM
I just think race gas smells good... but hey, that's me

HAMRHEAD
10-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Race gas isn't cheating. Plus the fuel itself doesn't make power it allows you to make more power. Saying it is cheating just means they got beat and had to fish for some excuse.

dr doom
10-02-2008, 03:36 PM
not cheating imo. my car runs for sh*t on 93 at the moment, so race gas at this point is the best option. i believe Johnny's petroleum in muskego will let you pump direct, havent tried it but they might.

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:41 PM
FYI you can pump 100 Octane Unleaded "race fuel" into your car. There are gas stations that do this.

i know but you cant pump "race gas" leaded fuel which is what most ppl think when you say your running race gas.

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:42 PM
not cheating imo. my car runs for sh*t on 93 at the moment, so race gas at this point is the best option. i believe Johnny's petroleum in muskego will let you pump direct, havent tried it but they might.

basicly if you get caught they told you not to do it.Is what they will tell you if you happen to get caught.Although they did give my buddy a mean look when he was doing that with his galant.

UnderPSI
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
The only way I see that it would be cheating is if you agreed to a pump gas race and ran race fuel. Otherwise what is there to cheat on?

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
The only way I see that it would be cheating is if you agreed to a pump gas race and ran race fuel. Otherwise what is there to cheat on?

:wstupid

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
i know but you cant pump "race gas" leaded fuel which is what most ppl think when you say your running race gas.

Well, It may not be common practice but I have seen Harleys filling up @ some of the 110 leaded pumps in the Slinger Area.

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Well, It may not be common practice but I have seen Harleys filling up @ some of the 110 leaded pumps in the Slinger Area.

whats that one that sells race gas on hwy like the bp end of hwy by the dodge dealer ship.Buddy with a teg was putting racegas in and the guy working there came yelling outside lol.

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 04:01 PM
whats that one that sells race gas on hwy like the bp end of hwy by the dodge dealer ship.Buddy with a teg was putting racegas in and the guy working there came yelling outside lol.

Yea I suppose that kinda stuff is frowned upon... stupid emissions laws!

Anyhow I only run Unleaded stuff due to cats and a hand full of exhaust sensors that get fubared by leaded fuel.

HY35F2T
10-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Yea I suppose that kinda stuff is frowned upon... stupid emissions laws!

Anyhow I only run Unleaded stuff due to cats and a hand full of exhaust sensors that get fubared by leaded fuel.

dont fuel pumps get fucked with too?like if all you do is run straight racegas all the time(leaded).

WilliamZ
10-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I've even used race gas in my lawn equipment :drool:

Cryptic
10-02-2008, 04:32 PM
I ran a 1/2 tank of leaded on my old GTX. The car quickly ran like sh!t. It killed my O2 sensor. I planned on changing it anyway since it had 100K on it. There were no cats to be concerned about.

Cjburn
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Weird conversation. Honestly, what the hell is cheating in a car sense anyways? The street car conversation is so subjective to opinions it's almost a damned joke anyways. In most turbo 4cylinders the need for race gas is completely reliant on boost controller anyways (and timing advance). Hell, all that is turn of a knob. You can get away with meth injection and forget the race gas, and is that cheating? Is that a power adder? Meth doesn't directly add power in itself, just adds room to increase it. The idea of cheating is such a joke to me. Just bring a bigger gun and then you won't have to bitch like a girl.

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 04:48 PM
:headbang

Ha me too, I ran 110 in the snow blower all winter :rolf

Reverend Cooper
10-02-2008, 06:44 PM
call me a cheater

Z28Envy
10-02-2008, 06:55 PM
call me a cheater

I would call it prepared!:thumbsup

If it's cheating to run race gas on the street then shouldn't it be cheating to run DR's as well?

GRAMPS SS
10-02-2008, 07:00 PM
sean uses it in his mini bike....he just found the drum of 114..:devil..it's just a better smelling gas..........right.........:goof

Reverend Cooper
10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I would call it prepared!:thumbsup

If it's cheating to run race gas on the street then shouldn't it be cheating to run DR's as well?

i guess im a double cheater than lol

CannotPost
10-02-2008, 07:08 PM
i guess im a double cheater than lol

Damn double cheater! LOL

you got to fiqure out how to go triple!

Reverend Cooper
10-02-2008, 07:19 PM
i have a blower,triple threat i guess

UnderPSI
10-02-2008, 08:09 PM

I run my chain saws on leaded race gas. They seem to run cooler when you are running high rpms all day.

turbogarrett
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Race gas isn't cheating, but if you have to rely on it to make decent power, makes for a lame "streetcar" imo.

Reverend Cooper
10-02-2008, 08:26 PM
I guess im a cheater and my car is lame

Daytonapacecar959
10-02-2008, 09:04 PM
If race gas is cheating i guess i'll be cheating on Saturday.:goof

Trutildeathxxx
10-02-2008, 09:10 PM

who is building the motor, chad? i feel so used and abused

nismodave
10-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Race gas is for RACE CARS.

93 only here.

Quick96ss
10-02-2008, 09:58 PM
If someone loses against another person who has something done to there car that they don't. They always refer to it as cheating!

BeesTwinEG
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
wow what a good thread. I really don't think race gas is so called "cheating". I believe if you have full alcohol car than I call it cheating. But again that's just my personal opinion.
We even put Vp c16 in our little 90cc atv and 50cc honda :rolf smells good :headbang

Smokey1226
10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
who is building the motor, chad? i feel so used and abused

Most Likely C & S, Jim's got the car and wants Mel to build it. What he says goes!

Dont feel used, i told you i wanted to experiment with your NOS setup on your seld with a few different fuels i have. At my cost! The option is always on the table.......

BTW: We run Race gas mixes in everything we own. Weed wacker, Lawn mower, Dirtbike, ect. Ask my dad what he thinks about race gas now. He was the biggest hater before i got into it, now he steals mine and uses it.

Also to the person who says you cant make more hp on fuel......If you want to, I've got a few oxygenated fuels that you should try. Making extra hp on fuel is nice :thumbsup Exept the money spent getting retuned sucks.

HAMRHEAD
10-02-2008, 11:34 PM
Also to the person who says you cant make more hp on fuel......If you want to, I've got a few oxygenated fuels that you should try. Making extra hp on fuel is nice :thumbsup Exept the money spent getting retuned sucks.

That's just it though. The fuel isn't making the power the re-tune is because the fuel is allowing you to tune differently now. However I think oxygenated fuels suck and I dare you to prove me wrong by allowing me to test 10gallons of it ;)

I won't have to retune either. I just add fuel and up the psi and the BS3 computer does the rest up to 20 psi. :D

70 cutlass 442
10-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Most Likely C & S, Jim's got the car and wants Mel to build it. What he says goes!

Dont feel used, i told you i wanted to experiment with your NOS setup on your seld with a few different fuels i have. At my cost! The option is always on the table.......

BTW: We run Race gas mixes in everything we own. Weed wacker, Lawn mower, Dirtbike, ect. Ask my dad what he thinks about race gas now. He was the biggest hater before i got into it, now he steals mine and uses it.

How much power do you plan on making? sounds liek you will be in block splitting terriroty

CannotPost
10-03-2008, 08:39 AM
If someone loses against another person who has something done to there car that they don't. They always refer to it as cheating!

Truth!

Smokey1226
10-03-2008, 10:48 AM
How much power do you plan on making? sounds liek you will be in block splitting terriroty

515 to the flywheel. Everyone i've talked to says that shouldnt be a problem??? Maybe im wrong?

DRK
10-03-2008, 12:22 PM
515 to the flywheel. Everyone i've talked to says that shouldnt be a problem??? Maybe im wrong?

Not a problem. I know a person that was making 540+RWHP blown for a long time on a roller blk and I have made over 400+ rwhp N/A on a roller blk. Keep it out of detonation and under 7K and you will be fine :headbang

Smokey1226
10-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Not a problem. I know a person that was making 540+RWHP blown for a long time on a roller blk and I have made over 400+ rwhp N/A on a roller blk. Keep it out of detonation and under 7K and you will be fine :headbang

We'll now ive been turned onto the idea of a 351w stroked out to a 408. Extra block strength, extra cubes so lots more torque down low. And slightly cheaper to build! Wierd as that sounds