PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel this is a beating?

Z28Envy
10-01-2008, 12:11 AM
When I was a kid my dad use to spank me with a belt or a thick ass stick to hold up the window. I read this and thought that her getting charges for it was over the top. What do you think?

http://www.sheboyganpress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080930/SHE0101/809300433/1062/SHE01

HY35F2T
10-01-2008, 12:17 AM
pfffh nowdays anything short of a windgust is beating your child.Shit id get the belt all the time some times a hanger lol mommy dearest lol.

Voodoo Chick
10-01-2008, 12:26 AM
I think every now and then, a kid needs a beating. Not an abusive thing, but when they do wrong, there should be consequences. All this "psychology" bullsh*t pisses me off. Spare the rod, spoil the child. I DON'T condone abuse, but I think a good spanking once in a while (when it's deserved) teaches kids important lessons about not getting away with whatever they choose to do.

That_Guy
10-01-2008, 12:27 AM
thats crazy.... i got kicked out o school for 2 days when i was in highschool and my parents "my mother" slapped the shit out of me.. dont do the crime if you cant take the punishment.

that mother was doing her job..

Irish
10-01-2008, 12:44 AM
I do not believe in beating a child for any reason. It's called self-control. You are the parent, they are the child.

I got a few whippings when I was a kid, all it did was made me meaner.

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I do not believe in beating a child for any reason. It's called self-control. You are the parent, they are the child.

I got a few whippings when I was a kid, all it did was made me meaner.

Then they were not doing it hard enough. Back before the forced vagification of parents by limp wristed douchebags, parents actually had the ability to keep their kids in line at damn near any cost. Now if you look at a kid the wrong way and the kid complains they will haul you off.

Bunch of bullshit right there.

Z28Envy
10-01-2008, 01:01 AM
^^^^amen!!!!

Irish
10-01-2008, 01:56 AM
If my three year old or 4 year old poors grape juice on my micro suede couch I am not going to beat their asses to teach them a lesson. That in no way teaches them that Mom and Dad work very hard to have nice things. It only teaches them that if they do that they are going to get their ass beat. Only an ignorant person lets their children get the best of them. Show me concrete psychological proof that a whooping is better than teaching with rational understanding.

Irish
10-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Then they were not doing it hard enough.

Don't pressume to know the extent of the "discipline" that I got. You have no idea.

Sprayaway Fox
10-01-2008, 02:57 AM
AHHHH! The Sheboygan DEPress:rolf If your kid goes to school with a bruise they get interrigated right away. I believe when a certain age a kid should know right and wrong. I dunno when that is, depends on the kid i guess. Do I think Its wrong to belt a kid? No, but should be used as a last resort. What do I know though, No kids, single, and friends call my place the "bachelor pad" when they sleep over cause there GF's piss them off.:rolf

fly5150
10-01-2008, 04:22 AM
There is a limit to what is "acceptable". Irish I somewhat disagree. There is a time and a place for everything, and an ass whooping has its time and place. I got a few growing up and I learned. I learned right and wrong. Kids these days know that they can do anything and just get yelled at.

SmokinRAM114
10-01-2008, 06:44 AM
damn that shits weak. i got the belt and an occasional wooden spoon. i never got in any trouble as my parents both have a bad temper if u push the wrong button and i was scared of them. I never got a detention or suspended when i was in school. but i got my ass beat a few times for bad grades.

Silver350
10-01-2008, 06:52 AM
When my brother and i were growing up and we were bad we would get the wooden spoon from mom or a swat on the ass. My dad would give us a swat on the ass or if we hit someone and he saw it we had to hold our hands out and he would slap them pretty hard. No way have I ever thought of the punishment to be to harsh. Expecally in this womans case what do you want here to do to correct this problem of her kid getting suspended give him a video game an pizza. Hell with that I would of beat his ass too.

SmokinRAM114
10-01-2008, 06:54 AM
When my brother and i were growing up and we were bad we would get the wooden spoon from mom or a swat on the ass. My dad would give us a swat on the ass or if we hit someone and he saw it we had to hold our hands out and he would slap them pretty hard. No way have I ever thought of the punishment to be to harsh. Expecally in this womans case what do you want here to do to correct this problem of her kid getting suspended give him a video game an pizza. Hell with that I would of beat his ass too.

x2 and honestly wtf does a 10yr old gota do to get suspended from school?! i mean he grab the teachers ass or what?!

HRSEPLA
10-01-2008, 07:34 AM
In my house, that was called *Family bonding* time

FANAT1C
10-01-2008, 07:41 AM
If my three year old or 4 year old poors grape juice on my micro suede couch I am not going to beat their asses to teach them a lesson. That in no way teaches them that Mom and Dad work very hard to have nice things. It only teaches them that if they do that they are going to get their ass beat. Only an ignorant person lets their children get the best of them. Show me concrete psychological proof that a whooping is better than teaching with rational understanding.

It all comes down to being a good parent, distinguishing when something was deliberate or an accident and then providing the correct discipline.
I had my ass beat primarily by wooden spoons by mom and the belt by dad. I have no anger towards either of them. I have the upmost respect for my parents. Ultimately they made me the person who I am and I very happy for that!
Most kids know when they did something wrong and as a parent you need to instill "rules" for them to live by. Otherwise, with much disapointment, that's why the laws protect many of "bad seeds".
I've known few parents that raised their kids with basically no consinqence and when the kids reached their teenage years they were out of control.
Now don't get bent out shape. I'm not saying who is right, I'm just stating some facts from my life.
By the way I'm no expert parent but I do have 3 kids (9mo, 2, & an 8 yr old) that give me my experience.

07ROUSHSTG3
10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
pfffh nowdays anything short of a windgust is beating your child.shit id get the belt all the time some times a hanger lol mommy dearest lol.

no more coat hangers!!

Z28Roxy
10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

Kids are actually starting to "know" that no one can ever touch them for any reason otherwise it's abuse. I've heard of more cases than this of the kid threatening to call the cops on their parents!

Here's how it should be: if you're a kid and get hit by your teacher, you don't tell your parents because they will hit you again for being enough of a brat to get hit by the teacher. :rolf

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 08:07 AM

There is a difference between a 4 year old and a 12 year old. A 12 year old should have a clear explanation in their heads as to what it right and wrong, a 4 year old still has things to learn. A 12 year old crying to the authorities because he got the business end of a belt is going to equal nothing more than a kid who grows up thinking he can get what he wants by being a whiny little bitch. Suck it up, respect your parents, don't f up in school and maybe you can avoid the leather. Thats how it work for most of us and it worked just fine.

We are blessed with 6 children, all of whom are well behaved. But even then, if.when the two boys are wrestling or just down right settling things themselves and one of them goes into school with a bruise I will give you two guesses on who they call first and the Q&A starts.

SmokinRAM114
10-01-2008, 08:22 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

Kids are actually starting to "know" that no one can ever touch them for any reason otherwise it's abuse. I've heard of more cases than this of the kid threatening to call the cops on their parents!

Here's how it should be: if you're a kid and get hit by your teacher, you don't tell your parents because they will hit you again for being enough of a brat to get hit by the teacher. :rolf

i remember once around 8-10 years old i did something wrong got a whoopin and was still pissed off and i told my parents i was moving, they handed me the phone and the telephone book and told me to do it! obviously i didnt.

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Don't pressume to know the extent of the "discipline" that I got. You have no idea.

If I remember correctly you are pretty young though. Still young you don't learn to appreciate what your parents did especially if it was something that you did not exactly find enjoyable. It also helps to have some children under your arm to learn exactly how much patience your parents actually had. I did not like spending all my free time out working on the farm but it I learned a great work ethic and about earning things instead of getting them handed to me. Parents do a lot of things that we did not like, but most had a purpose.

Looking back I am glad my parents did what they did to keep me in line, but now the douchebags have taken away what made so many parents concerned about their kids and that is discipline. This by know means says that I give an out of control parent the green light to tee off on their kid whenever they get a chance, but that is where responsibility comes in.

Troutman
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
When my brother and i were growing up and we were bad we would get the wooden spoon from mom or a swat on the ass. .

i definitely remember those...and remeber the one breaking in half cause i got cracked so hard with it. i remember the teacher bringing the paddle out cause i hit some dude in the face at school, i remember my dad tackling me down the hall when i tried to escape the beating..... and i turned out alright..for the most part.

abuse is one thing, but discipline is another.

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
abuse is one thing, but discipline is another.

Thats it right there.

I can also remember those damn representatives of Christ, Catholic nuns, going all Jackie Chan on us too.

Inspector13
10-01-2008, 08:56 AM
I remember once when I was younger my dad (fairly fresh out of the Army) actually ripped the door trim off the wall and swated my ass with it. Looking back on it I honestly deserved it.

A guy at work got arrested for abuse for throwing a pork chop at his 15 yr old daughter when she said she was pregnant at dinner. A FREAKING PORK CHOP!! I believe the judge threw it out later.

That_Guy
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
damn that shits weak. i got the belt and an occasional wooden spoon. i never got in any trouble as my parents both have a bad temper if u push the wrong button and i was scared of them. I never got a detention or suspended when i was in school. but i got my ass beat a few times for bad grades.

and i bet you worked you ass off to get better grades after that..

thats how it was at are house

johnny--2k
10-01-2008, 09:09 AM
A guy at work got arrested for abuse for throwing a pork chop at his 15 yr old daughter when she said she was pregnant at dinner. A FREAKING PORK CHOP!! I believe the judge threw it out later.

:durr

Now thats some damn bulls#it! I can't believe that was even considered abuse. It's a damn piece of meat.... come on! :confused

I dont have kids, but I do have a 5 year old brother, and man, let me tell you, I have never even thought of hitting him, but he knows when I'm mad, or my parents are mad, and he knows when to stop. I agree though, there is a fine line between abuse and discipline. My brother seems to respond very well to a good yelling, and thankfully I have never had to give him a spanking, but I know my mom has ONCE....and it was very well deserved. I only got a few spankings when I was younger, and I definitely learned my lesson....

SmokinRAM114
10-01-2008, 09:28 AM

obviously it wasnt the first piece of meat to hit her:rolf

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 09:48 AM
My brother seems to respond very well to a good yelling.

For me the kids know that when I start talking in low even tones right next to them and staring that they are riding the fine line between getting done whatever they are supposed to be doing then playing on the xbox or heading out and mowing the lawn.

Yooformula
10-01-2008, 09:49 AM
I dont think it was fair for her to be arrested. The neighbors should have minded their fukking business. I do agree with Irish a bit as I was BEAT on badly as a kid but I will still discipline my kids when needed. I wont do what was done to me but an ass spanking is necessary once in a while if they act it.

johnny--2k
10-01-2008, 09:52 AM
For me the kids know that when I start talking in low even tones right next to them and staring that they are riding the fine line between getting done whatever they are supposed to be doing then playing on the xbox or heading out and mowing the lawn.

Oh yeah, the stare always works.....but that's if we are out somewhere. If it's at home, I'll just yell.....

Crawlin
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Let's see....

Spatula - broke over my ass
Wooden spoon - broke over my head and ass
Belt - crack sound was enough to make me stand up straight

And the end all be all of punishments...

that ******* orange piece of HOT ROD track that was like 3 ft long witht he tongue on the end to slip into the next piece. that shit with the whiplash ******* HURT.

I *personally* think it made me a better person because it taught me that there was punishments to things that I did were wrong.

I didn't do homework = no tv
Failed a test = no allowance
lied = stay in room, no tv, no allowance
stole = ass whooping

varying degrees of punishment.

HAMRHEAD
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Nothing wrong with a good ass whooping for the serious stuff. For spilled milk, no but for getting suspended...yes! It's funny how you can't spank your kids but yet you are responsible for their actions if they say FU and go break into a department store or something. Complete BS. Every ass whooping I got as a kid I deserved. 3 swats ain't shit. He should consider himself lucky!

Karps TA
10-01-2008, 10:06 AM
Problem with kids today is they no longer fear their parents. I did my best not to get in trouble as a kid, cause the last thing I ever wanted was to come home and have to deal with my dad. Kids instead seem to have all the control now. Parents think a stern discussion and a timeout means something.

HAMRHEAD
10-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Show me concrete psychological proof that a whooping is better than teaching with rational understanding.

You want proof, just look at the kids today and the shit they do and get away with in this society. Besides there is no rationalizing with a kid. Why waste your time arguing with some one who is a child that you know better than they do. You know better because you said so. End of story. Obviously if the child is younger than it is necessary to take the time to explain why certain things are wrong but let's face it. Once a child is 13 they know EVERYTHING! You can spank a child without actually beating them. The problem is were does this line lay in today's world???:(

Irish
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
If I remember correctly you are pretty young though. Still young you don't learn to appreciate what your parents did especially if it was something that you did not exactly find enjoyable. It also helps to have some children under your arm to learn exactly how much patience your parents actually had. I did not like spending all my free time out working on the farm but it I learned a great work ethic and about earning things instead of getting them handed to me. Parents do a lot of things that we did not like, but most had a purpose.

Looking back I am glad my parents did what they did to keep me in line, but now the douchebags have taken away what made so many parents concerned about their kids and that is discipline. This by know means says that I give an out of control parent the green light to tee off on their kid whenever they get a chance, but that is where responsibility comes in.

Dude, I am in my 30's.

Irish
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
You want proof, just look at the kids today and the shit they do and get away with in this society. Besides there is no rationalizing with a kid. Why waste your time arguing with some one who is a child that you know better than they do. You know better because you said so. End of story. Obviously if the child is younger than it is necessary to take the time to explain why certain things are wrong but let's face it. Once a child is 13 they know EVERYTHING! You can spank a child without actually beating them. The problem is were does this line lay in today's world???:(

That's not concrete proof. I was talking about credible medical studies.

Irish
10-01-2008, 11:35 AM
You guys might not agree with my style, and that is your right as it is my right to CHOOSE not to use physical force as a form of discipline.

All I have to use is, " I am not mad at you, I am disappointed with you." As my opinion of them will mean much more than the crack of my belt.

We can go round and round about this, it will take much more than the opinions of a few people on a car forum to change my mind regarding the discipline of my children.

Voodoo Chick
10-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Obviously, I don't think something accidental like spilling juice, breaking a glass, or legitimately not understanding a subject in school (resulting in failure of test, etc) deserves a beating . But, doing something deliberately, just to be a brat, THAT deserves a swat on the bottom. Not a leave-bruises, scarred-emotionally-for-life type thing, but enough to keep the kid remembering who's the parent, thus, the one in charge. My mom never BEAT me, but if I got out of line, I got a swat on the backside, and I knew not to do it again. I DON'T believe in belts and wooden spoons, but a simple spanking goes a long way. Kids need discipline.

Irish
10-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Obviously, I don't think something accidental like spilling juice, breaking a glass, or legitimately not understanding a subject in school (resulting in failure of test, etc) deserves a beating . But, doing something deliberately, just to be a brat, THAT deserves a swat on the bottom. Not a leave-bruises, scarred-emotionally-for-life type thing, but enough to keep the kid remembering who's the parent, thus, the one in charge. My mom never BEAT me, but if I got out of line, I got a swat on the backside, and I knew not to do it again. I DON'T believe in belts and wooden spoons, but a simple spanking goes a long way. Kids need discipline.

You can also take away the things they are in to for a certain amount of time and have the same result.

I would rather loose my voice yelling than have to beat on my kid. Physical pain does not equal love in my book.

Voodoo Chick
10-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Oh, no....I don't mean pain......My mom never made it hurt. Just a swat, you see, nothing brutal.

STANMAN
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I was given a spanking exactly one time by my father, it never needed to happen again. It's all about the timing! Like say getting suspended from school at that age? This kid probably deserved it, and a belt across the bottom never killed anyone. I think it's BS that this mom is being charged with anything besides letting this little monster get this out of hand, again, the timing was off, this beating probably should have come LONG before this suspension!

Goat Roper
10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Dude, I am in my 30's.

Sorry, must have been another person's post but the message is still accurate.

Irish
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM
I didn't read the article so I have no opinion on it. I will say this, I NEVER want my children to be afraid that I am going to hit them if I become angry with something they did. I want them to KNOW that despite whatever they did, they can and should always come to me for help.

HY35F2T
10-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I remember once when I was younger my dad (fairly fresh out of the Army) actually ripped the door trim off the wall and swated my ass with it. Looking back on it I honestly deserved it.

sorry but thats funny shit right thur door trim lol ARGGGH I AM ARNOLD YOU SHALL PAY FOR YOUR MISTAKES!!!!!!!!!!!(makes the chewbacka noise with arms in the air)

Nix
10-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Fuck that... I'm guessing the kid deserved it being only ten ******* years old and getting suspended from school? At that age I was trying to catch frogs and ride my bike around.

Don't get me wrong I had my folks hand it to me PLENTY of times and if they didn't then my two older brothers would.

The oldest one would get beat on by my pops and then he would take it out on me and my other brother. It was a cycle.

Do I think my pops went too far at times, fuck yes! But there were also times that I totally deserved it.

This kid deserved it unless he was framed, call Johnny Cockrane (sp?) oh yeah, hes dead.

You get what I'm saying?

Even though my dad did that shit to us three boys, we still to this day know that we can go to him for anything and always could even when we were young teenagers. I was really never afraid of my dad. I grasped the concept of what he was doing and sometimes why. None the less I was a little piece of shit that grew into a bigger piece of shit until I opened my eyes and straightned out.

Besides Im pretty sure now I'd be able to kick his butt anyhow. Or maybe not? :rolf

Bottom (pun intended) line is this little fucker deserved it, ten years old and suspended from school. Pfffffftttttttttttt..... :chair:

STANMAN
10-01-2008, 04:09 PM
I didn't read the article so I have no opinion on it. I will say this, I NEVER want my children to be afraid that I am going to hit them if I become angry with something they did. I want them to KNOW that despite whatever they did, they can and should always come to me for help.

I didn't do LOTS of stuff because I knew a beating would be forthcoming if I did. And it wasn't the pain of the beating as much as the not wanting my dad to be so angry and dissapointed that he thought that's what I deserved. Pain (emotional or physical) is a great motivator. Just because my dad spanked me doesn't mean I wouldn't go to him with a problem, he's my dad for Gods sake! And children should fear there parents a little, they shouldn't ever feel that they are in charge. Unfortunatly that seems to be the case when you see shite like this article, it makes me sick.

4eyedstang
10-01-2008, 05:01 PM
i believe a swat on the butt is necessary in some cases just to get your child to pay attention and to let them know you mean business. I have two children and one responds very well to verbal correction. the other not so much.

but in this case i think she crossed the line by hitting her child out of anger.

STANMAN
10-01-2008, 06:23 PM
i believe a swat on the butt is necessary in some cases just to get your child to pay attention and to let them know you mean business. I have two children and one responds very well to verbal correction. the other not so much.

but in this case i think she crossed the line by hitting her child out of anger.

Didn't she have a right to be angry? He's 10, and he got SUSPENDED. Not detention for doing something small and stupid once, but SUSPENDED. He deserved more than what he got would be my guess.

This is to everyone: since this is a car site lets imagine the fine young lad in this article had keyed your car. Would you want his parents to paddle his ass, or give him a time out and some choice language? Some of the people on here remind me of the corpral in the movie Aliens when he has the sargent gather up all the mags and Bill Paxton is like "what are we supposed to use man, harsh language??" Well, once the shite hit the fan, harsh language wasn't quiet enough and then came the "in case you didn't catch what just happened out there we just got our asses kicked man, game over, GAME OVER". That's what America's going to be saying once we let our kids dictate to the adults who's in charge.

lordairgtar
10-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I used to get beat with a cat-o-nine tails. A short length of broom handle with leather strips attached to it. I still have ridges on my ass from it. However, I do think Irish is being a bit simplistic in his opinion. Sometimes you can yell till your'e blue in the face and still, the "fruit of your loins" isn't going to come around to your way of thinking. Although I am staunchly against abusing your kids, and what i got surely was, I don't think that a swat on the behind or a spanking is abuse. How many times have you been in a public place witnessing someones "little angel" whining and screaming for some treat or toy at the store and the parents are exhausting every non-violent means to get this kid to shut up and behave. What would you suggest one does when the "little sweetums" just won't stop whining or mis-behaving. Sometimes the talking and the time-outs just do not work. And yes, Irish, you ARE young. Wait till your kids are 15,16, or 17 years old and stand head and shoulders over you and won't give in to anything you say. My sister went through this when my nephew was a teen. Dude was built like Butterbean The Wrestler. He looked intimidating and he knew how to use that to his advantage.

4eyedstang
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Didn't she have a right to be angry? He's 10, and he got SUSPENDED. Not detention for doing something small and stupid once, but SUSPENDED. He deserved more than what he got would be my guess.

This is to everyone: since this is a car site lets imagine the fine young lad in this article had keyed your car. Would you want his parents to paddle his ass, or give him a time out and some choice language? Some of the people on here remind me of the corpral in the movie Aliens when he has the sargent gather up all the mags and Bill Paxton is like "what are we supposed to use man, harsh language??" Well, once the shite hit the fan, harsh language wasn't quiet enough and then came the "in case you didn't catch what just happened out there we just got our asses kicked man, game over, GAME OVER". That's what America's going to be saying once we let our kids dictate to the adults who's in charge.

i undersand your point. but what i was trying to say is if you spank your child in a fit of rage. that equals abuse to me.

Irish
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
I used to get beat with a cat-o-nine tails. A short length of broom handle with leather strips attached to it. I still have ridges on my ass from it. However, I do think Irish is being a bit simplistic in his opinion. Sometimes you can yell till your'e blue in the face and still, the "fruit of your loins" isn't going to come around to your way of thinking. Although I am staunchly against abusing your kids, and what i got surely was, I don't think that a swat on the behind or a spanking is abuse. How many times have you been in a public place witnessing someones "little angel" whining and screaming for some treat or toy at the store and the parents are exhausting every non-violent means to get this kid to shut up and behave. What would you suggest one does when the "little sweetums" just won't stop whining or mis-behaving. Sometimes the talking and the time-outs just do not work. And yes, Irish, you ARE young. Wait till your kids are 15,16, or 17 years old and stand head and shoulders over you and won't give in to anything you say. My sister went through this when my nephew was a teen. Dude was built like Butterbean The Wrestler. He looked intimidating and he knew how to use that to his advantage.

I would remove my child from the store to answer your question. In your opinion I may be simplistic in my approach, let me reply by saying that I have been tempted to swat my boys across their ass however it was because I was angered by what they did, it was not because I wanted to teach them between right and wrong. About yelling until you are blue in the face, so far I have never had to yell at my kids. My approach might not be for everyone, but it works for me. I have heard nothing but complimants about how well behaved they are. I believe is has to do mostly with consistancy.

If I were to ever see either of them try to intimidate their mother, in their late teens, I might have to take a different approach. I will cross that bridge if and when I get there. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that type of situation would never occur.

Reverend Cooper
10-01-2008, 07:52 PM
they will wonder whay the kid has thug life across his belly,cant spell read or hold a job,then they will blame it on bad parenting and society. its bullshit let the beatings begin

Al
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Does anyone remember when Mind of Mencia did the skit where Carlos went out on the street and asked parents if they utilized corporal punishment?

Z28Envy
10-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Does anyone remember when Mind of Mencia did the skit where Carlos went out on the street and asked parents if they utilized corporal punishment?

Didn't see it. Who did he steal the material from?:rolf

STANMAN
10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Didn't see it. Who did he steal the material from?:rolf

Mencia=worst replacement ever (because we all know he was supposed to replace Chappelle, but there is no replacing him)

lordairgtar
10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
I would remove my child from the store to answer your question. In your opinion I may be simplistic in my approach, let me reply by saying that I have been tempted to swat my boys across their ass however it was because I was angered by what they did, it was not because I wanted to teach them between right and wrong. About yelling until you are blue in the face, so far I have never had to yell at my kids. My approach might not be for everyone, but it works for me. I have heard nothing but complimants about how well behaved they are. I believe is has to do mostly with consistancy.

If I were to ever see either of them try to intimidate their mother, in their late teens, I might have to take a different approach. I will cross that bridge if and when I get there. I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that type of situation would never occur.
I would as well compliment your children's behavior. Depending on how some kid's minds work, that can be easy, or it can be difficult. About my sister's kids, the one has always tried to push the limits, he's the oldest. The middle child was better behaved but is now pushing his own limits as an adult (gay with HIV and no sense)and the youngest has more piercings and holes in his body than a whole punk rock band, but is always very respectful of his elders and is in his early twenties and just bought himself a racing yacht from hard work and serious savings. Funny how all these kids from the same mother are all different.

Irish
10-01-2008, 11:20 PM
I would as well compliment your children's behavior. Depending on how some kid's minds work, that can be easy, or it can be difficult. About my sister's kids, the one has always tried to push the limits, he's the oldest. The middle child was better behaved but is now pushing his own limits as an adult (gay with HIV and no sense)and the youngest has more piercings and holes in his body than a whole punk rock band, but is always very respectful of his elders and is in his early twenties and just bought himself a racing yacht from hard work and serious savings. Funny how all these kids from the same mother are all different.

Do you mind if I ask where there father comes into play?

fivonut
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
That's not concrete proof. I was talking about credible medical studies.

I have had this conversation with a child psychologist and physical discipline is generally acceptable, TO A DEGREE. I have also had this same conversation with child services. Little background, I have two sons from my first marriage. I fought tooth and nail to get majority placement of them and won it. From that day on my ex-wife reported me to child services for any and every little bump and bruise she can find. I have met with them 4 or 5 times. Due to other issues arising from the divorce I decided to seek the services of a child psychologist. I have nothing to hide from anyone about how, when, where, or why I discipline my kids. I told the psychologist the exact same thing I told child services and that is, that my kids get up to 3 verbal warnings, generally one is all it takes (but it takes some "training" to get there). After three, though, it's time out, whether I have to put them there or they go there on their own, and they stand one minute for every year they are old. If that doesn't work, then it's a swat on the ass, "open handed". I was told by BOTH the psychologist and child services that that is perfectly acceptable disciplinary behavior by a parent. BTW, for all my run ins, I have NEVER once been charge with a single thing. Anything more than an open handed swat is abuse and/or use of a weapon. That mother deserves every bit of what she's getting. If she needed to swat her boy then she should have done it with her open hand. She used a weapon.

STANMAN
10-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I have had this conversation with a child psychologist and physical discipline is generally acceptable, TO A DEGREE. I have also had this same conversation with child services. Little background, I have two sons from my first marriage. I fought tooth and nail to get majority placement of them and won it. From that day on my ex-wife reported me to child services for any and every little bump and bruise she can find. I have met with them 4 or 5 times. Due to other issues arising from the divorce I decided to seek the services of a child psychologist. I have nothing to hide from anyone about how, when, where, or why I discipline my kids. I told the psychologist the exact same thing I told child services and that is, that my kids get up to 3 verbal warnings, generally one is all it takes (but it takes some "training" to get there). After three, though, it's time out, whether I have to put them there or they go there on their own, and they stand one minute for every year they are old. If that doesn't work, then it's a swat on the ass, "open handed". I was told by BOTH the psychologist and child services that that is perfectly acceptable disciplinary behavior by a parent. BTW, for all my run ins, I have NEVER once been charge with a single thing. Anything more than an open handed swat is abuse and/or use of a weapon. That mother deserves every bit of what she's getting. If she needed to swat her boy then she should have done it with her open hand. She used a weapon.

A weapon, are you high on crack? If you want to see a weapon, break into my house. It's people with this mindset, that make a mountain out of a mole hill, that give the punk ass little kids the attitude that they can do what they do because they are the ones in control. If my dad would have given me a time out I probably would have laughed my ass off, and then he would have hit me (open handed, please don't call social services on my dad, I am 34 so even if it was with a broad sword or he pistol whipped me, those would be weapons BTW, I am sure the time limit for pressing charges has ran out), and THEN the lesson would have been learned.

For the last time, there is abuse, and then there's what this lady did. All she did was re-establish who was in control, then her neighbors undermined her. They should be stuck with the little demon, that would teach them a lesson. A kid who's getting suspended when he's 10 I am sure is just a real dandy to have in the home.

fivonut
10-02-2008, 01:36 AM
A weapon, are you high on crack? If you want to see a weapon, break into my house.

HA!! I have all the weapons I could ever need within arms reach.

It's people with this mindset, that make a mountain out of a mole hill, that give the punk ass little kids the attitude that they can do what they do because they are the ones in control.

Not one of my four kids thinks they are not within MY control.

For the last time, there is abuse, and then there's what this lady did. All she did was re-establish who was in control, then her neighbors undermined her. They should be stuck with the little demon, that would teach them a lesson. A kid who's getting suspended when he's 10 I am sure is just a real dandy to have in the home.

She used a belt simply to inflict MORE pain than a hand could. THAT is use of a weapon, whether you like it or not. If she had used a hand then I would be arguing differently, but then it's been my experience that if that was the case we wouldn't be reading this story.

Z28Roxy
10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
A weapon, are you high on crack? If you want to see a weapon, break into my house. It's people with this mindset, that make a mountain out of a mole hill, that give the punk ass little kids the attitude that they can do what they do because they are the ones in control. If my dad would have given me a time out I probably would have laughed my ass off, and then he would have hit me (open handed, please don't call social services on my dad, I am 34 so even if it was with a broad sword or he pistol whipped me, those would be weapons BTW, I am sure the time limit for pressing charges has ran out), and THEN the lesson would have been learned.

Well, I too was actually abused as a kid and we can't say for sure that this wasn't abuse. She might have really really whipped the shit out of him, we are only going by media reports.

HOWEVER if I had to bet it was likely fair discipline (physical but not abusive) for getting suspended.

MurphysLaw88GT
10-02-2008, 04:50 PM
In my house, that was called *Family bonding* time

same here

lordairgtar
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Do you mind if I ask where there father comes into play?
The oldest one's father was in prison for sleeping with a sixteen year old hottie, and the other two's father kicked 'em out when he re-married. My fam is fupped duck.

Syclone0044
10-06-2008, 02:47 AM
I agree with IRISH's thoughts. IMO beating your kids just teaches them that when you disagree with someone, hitting/assaulting them is the way to "teach them a lesson". What kind of lesson is that really?