PDA

View Full Version : anyone a bouncer?

Troutman
09-30-2008, 10:08 PM
ive been thinking of giving bouncing a try as a second job... for a little extra Z cash this winter and to get out more. im not huge by any means (6'0, 215) but i notice that mostly every bar i go to lately has some wanna be hard ass in a shirt 3 sizes too small for him and is noticeably smaller than i am.
im just curious if anyone out there is and what i could expect? any skirmishes, pay rate, hours, bar slut hook-ups? what bars/ clubs to go for, stay away from? can i taze people?

thanks

Reverend Cooper
09-30-2008, 10:10 PM
you are a ***** and will get hurt. lol just kiddin. get a job at some place higher on the food chain the fights are less and the pay is better

GRAMPS SS
09-30-2008, 10:12 PM
i'll get ya a shirt 3 sizes smaller for ya Todd...you want it to say Z CREW............

GRAMPS SS
09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
WORK AT SILK...and let your friends in freeeeeeeee

Irish
09-30-2008, 10:15 PM
I have bounced on and off for years. Pay is subjective to your interviewing skills and experience. The type of customers you deal with depends upon what type of bar you bounce for. If I were you, I wouldn't start for anything less than $12-$15 an hour. You can get that much if you try.
I worked at Mcgillicuddys off and on for the last couple of years. The staff changes quite a bit, but I don't have any complaints about the place at all, and Melo is one of the easiest going guys to work for.
The only thing I got sick of was dealing with the same drunk college kids week in and week out. Kinda wears on you after a while. That's why my employment there goes in waves.

As far as the chick thing goes, if you are a decent looking guy with a little game and patience, the sky is the limit.

Hope this helps!

Troutman
09-30-2008, 10:23 PM
WORK AT SILK...and let your friends in freeeeeeeee

dont they have an age limit?

Reverend Cooper
09-30-2008, 10:28 PM
i was told and maybe irish can talk about this,people skills are everything most owners want a customer friendly face and personality,they would rather have a peacefull conflict then a brawl. think about that before interviewing be a smart professional not just a meathead

That_Guy
09-30-2008, 10:29 PM
dude ive been thinking this for a while... im not a huge guy but i can knock people out /thread lol...

GRAMPS SS
09-30-2008, 10:30 PM
dont they have an age limit?

senior discount buddy.......:goof

Troutman
09-30-2008, 10:41 PM
i was told and maybe irish can talk about this,people skills are everything most owners want a customer friendly face and personality,they would rather have a peacefull conflict then a brawl. think about that before interviewing be a smart professional not just a meathead

i got rid of the mo-hawk, so i look mildly respectable now. (grandma has accepted me back into the family) i can be professional when needed. (i have a big-boy job and an 85k dollar degree hanging on the wall). im not looking for a fight...just something to do. all my damn friends are getting old and married and dont do anything anymore

Troutman
09-30-2008, 10:42 PM
senior discount buddy.......:goof

this isnt Denny's

nismodave
09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
I dont think its wise, Todd. You got too much going for you to have some bullshit happen.

These retards that go to the bars now come out just to fight and start shit.

Not worth it. JMO, bro.

Irish
09-30-2008, 10:47 PM

Very True Coop. You don't want to hurt the customers or piss them off to the point that they don't come back. The last thing you'd want is to bring a lawsuit down on yourself and/or the bar.

Violence is the last resort. Make damn sure you are justified in using it, making sure you only use the minimal amount neccessary to dissolve the conflict and/or control the patron you are dealing with.

Sometimes you have to act, make sure that you are prepared for anything and everything. Make sure that the guys you are working with watch your back closer than they are watching the pvssy running around the bar.

STANMAN
09-30-2008, 11:08 PM
I am confident enough in my sexuality to say that you're a good looking dude. Your weekend nights should be spent getting more ass than a toilet seat and making the rest of us jelous that we're not you:rolf

lordairgtar
09-30-2008, 11:29 PM
I dont think its wise, Todd. You got too much going for you to have some bullshit happen.

These retards that go to the bars now come out just to fight and start shit.

Not worth it. JMO, bro.
...and they be carryin' heat. That three size too small shirt ain't gonna stop those bullets.

Irish
09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
That is where experience comes into play. I have been bouncing off and on for almost 14 years and never had anyone present a firearm. Don't give them the opportunity. Or don't put yourself in a position where something like that is "likely" to occur.

Neal Steffek
09-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Sounds like you wold be better off as a barback to be honest. Work a little harder but you get paid better. This is coming from Milwaukee's highest rated doorman/bouncer going on 4 years now :banana

Sprayaway Fox
09-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Listen to some limp bizkit "break stuff" before you punch in:headbang,shoot sum roids:devil, do a line on the top of the crapper:wooo, and wear a shirt that is to small so all your viens show!:chair::chair::chair::chair:
I think that is the prerequisite for most of the bouncers nowadayz.:goof:goof:rolf

theavenger333
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you wold be better off as a barback to be honest. Work a little harder but you get paid better. This is coming from Milwaukee's highest rated doorman/bouncer going on 4 years now :banana

neal's been doin it for awhile now, i did it at a few not so nice places, a few nicer places. more of a doorman then a "bouncer" and i'm not huge by any means. the best bouncers i've known weren't necessarily big, or physically intimidating, its about how you talk to people. the best bouncer is the one who doesn't ever HAVE to fight anyone

Neal Steffek
10-01-2008, 04:43 AM
neal's been doin it for awhile now, i did it at a few not so nice places, a few nicer places. more of a doorman then a "bouncer" and i'm not huge by any means. the best bouncers i've known weren't necessarily big, or physically intimidating, its about how you talk to people. the best bouncer is the one who doesn't ever HAVE to fight anyone

Correct. Been working at Sullivans on Water since we have opened, and I work every night. We have never had a fight there in the 15 months we have been open. I have seen some bars on water have 3 fights a night.

(of course we did have a girl stab two other chicks three weeks ago but we won't talk about that.) :( :chair:

twirkin50
10-01-2008, 06:31 AM
I worked security at a bunch of different clubs.........wouldn't do it again.

Best security job was working at the Bradley Center. They are always hiring and you see all the events / games. Very safe and decent pay. Not too mention all the women at the Marquette games!!!!

michelle
10-01-2008, 06:35 AM
I am confident enough in my sexuality to say that you're a good looking dude. Your weekend nights should be spent getting more ass than a toilet seat and making the rest of us jelous that we're not you:rolf

Well now pictures are a requirement for this thread. Or a PM would do fine too.

Troutman
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
thanks for the info guys. im not 100% on doing it just yet, but we'll see what happens in the next month.

and as always Dave.. i appreciate your concern for me. if someone were to break my legs, who would drive the Z somewhere for you to hate on?

shoooo32
10-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I agree with Neal. If you want to make extra cash look for a barback gig. Pays about $100-150 a night (if the place is busy) and nobody will take a swing at you. Show the guns carrying beer instead of wrestling jerkoffs at bar close.

Karps TA
10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Patrick Swayze was the best cooler ever and he's only like 5'5" and 150lbs.

Just remember to be nice.

Troutman
10-01-2008, 10:17 AM

actually Sam Elliot was

lordairgtar
10-01-2008, 06:38 PM
actually sam elliot was
x2

moels
10-01-2008, 08:02 PM
If you do choose to bounce/work floor security, do yourself a favor and use your people skills. I've seen many a bouncer cause bad things to happen due to their tough guy behavior. Whenever I see a bouncer quietly and politely doing his job, I make sure to tell him that I appreciate the way he handles himself and make myself and my friends available to him if the need arises. It's nice to have extra backwatchers.

Reverend Cooper
10-01-2008, 08:08 PM
i got rid of the mo-hawk, so i look mildly respectable now. (grandma has accepted me back into the family) i can be professional when needed. (i have a big-boy job and an 85k dollar degree hanging on the wall). im not looking for a fight...just something to do. all my damn friends are getting old and married and dont do anything anymore

Thats not what i meant, you can have a mohawk and still be polite and a smart guy I did not mean to insinuate you werent. when I go to bars I want a bouncer that will laugh and joke it up a little not sit on a stool with his arms crossed pissed off at the world.

michelle
10-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Nevermind, I found my own picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v156/IRAQisBURNING/september%202008/untitled-3.jpg

Z28Envy
10-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Just remember to be nice.

"I've always wanted to try you, I think I can take you":rolf

moels
10-01-2008, 09:35 PM
"You don't look like much"

"Opinions vary"

One of my all-time favorite movies.

Rocket Power
10-01-2008, 09:59 PM
"You don't look like much"

"Opinions vary"

One of my all-time favorite movies.
You be nice, until it's time to not be nice..:rolf

Z28Envy
10-02-2008, 04:23 AM
"dam that hurts dunnit":rolf

great movie!!:thumbsup

Adam Brooks
10-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Correct. Been working at Sullivans on Water since we have opened, and I work every night. We have never had a fight there in the 15 months we have been open. I have seen some bars on water have 3 fights a night.

(of course we did have a girl stab two other chicks three weeks ago but we won't talk about that.) :( :chair:

I avoid Sullivans intentionally bc every time i walk in there there is a fight... and it looks like i walked into a high school party. I knew a guy who worked there and left for the same reason.

CobraSnake
10-02-2008, 10:55 AM
I avoid Sullivans intentionally bc every time i walk in there there is a fight... and it looks like i walked into a high school party. I knew a guy who worked there and left for the same reason.

And how long ago were you there last??

Neal Steffek
10-02-2008, 02:30 PM

Funny, we have never had a fight there. But what ever. You are more then able to have your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

Troutman
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Thats not what i meant, you can have a mohawk and still be polite and a smart guy I did not mean to insinuate you werent. when I go to bars I want a bouncer that will laugh and joke it up a little not sit on a stool with his arms crossed pissed off at the world.

i know you weren't.

i am a personable guy, and am quite friendly.. the only problem is that my realxed chill look, looks like im pissed at the world...and im not. and ive been told i naturally stand and walk like a hard ass. Couple this with my "relaxed" look, and everyone asks if i am a bouncer, or says i should be one. hence, why im thinking about trying it out. im not lookin to clean up the Double Deuce, im not looking to get into a fight, not looking to score, i just want something that gets me out of the house, doesnt give me the mental stress the daily job does, and puts a little coin in the pocket. however, if my "look" is going to get me into something...maybe i should look at the barback gig. only problem is im only looking to do this weekend nights...

Adam Brooks
10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Funny, we have never had a fight there. But what ever. You are more then able to have your opinion no matter how wrong it is.

Now I'm getting excited.

Lets not count the two girls who got stabbed or the guy I knew getting fired for getting into too many fights himself while working. Or the first night ever walking in there with three of my female friends (and the guy i knew) and watched a guy get hit in the head w/ a Heineken bottle at the back bar. A little bouncer (bartender/bar back maybe?) was useless and told him to stop/calm down vs removing him. Ok fine maybe that's not a "fight" since the other guy didn't do anything back. It was more like an attack.... how may attacks has Sullivans had?

Join me while we look past all of that since our record is spotless especially since the City of Milwaukee stepped up police protection, yet again, on water st because of your little stabbing incident. Honestly how do you make news headlines and say you don't have issues there?

Neal Steffek
10-02-2008, 03:28 PM
Now I'm getting excited.

Lets not count the two girls who got stabbed or the guy I knew getting fired for getting into too many fights himself while working. Or the first night ever walking in there with three of my female friends (and the guy i knew) and watched a guy get hit in the head w/ a Heineken bottle at the back bar. A little bouncer (bartender/bar back maybe?) was useless and told him to stop/calm down vs removing him. Ok fine maybe that's not a "fight" since the other guy didn't do anything back. It was more like an attack.... how may attacks has Sullivans had?

Join me while we look past all of that since our record is spotless especially since the City of Milwaukee stepped up police protection, yet again, on water st because of your little stabbing incident. Honestly how do you make news headlines and say you don't have issues there?

I honestly think you are thinking of a different bar then Sullivan’s. We have never fired a guy for getting into to many fights, because we have never had fights there. And you are insane if you think the police have stepped up there presence on water after our stabbing incident. It has actually gone down a LOT. There were crap loads of cops on Water all summer, but the last two weeks hardly any.

Also, if you "know this guy who we fired" then what is his name?

Irish
10-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Neal it is hard for me to believe that there hasn't been one altercation there in a year and a half. It is the nature of the business... they might be infrequent however I am calling shennanigans.

Adam Brooks
10-02-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/28692114.html
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/28472264.html
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/28452164.html
http://www.wisn.com/news/17491178/detail.html
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=799107

I'm insane, the news is insane, cops are insane, they've always had patty wagons parked in the median on water st on Saturday nights and shut down the street... right.

And my friends name actually is irrelevant. I'd prefer to get his permission before posting his name on the internet. This automatically will kill my creditability, and I'm ok with that. There's enough links up there which will elaborate on specifics.

Neal Steffek
10-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Neal it is hard for me to believe that there hasn't been one altercation there in a year and a half. It is the nature of the business... they might be infrequent however I am calling shennanigans.

We might get two D-bags arguing about something but nothing physical. We have tons or regulars that all know each other and won’t stand for crap.

Actually, I take it back, we did have one physical thing happen about six months ago. One of the bartender’s boyfriends got really drunk and got into it with he bathroom attendant. Wasn’t a big deal as they were friends and are still to this day friends.

And as far as the stabbing making us a "bad place" you all must have forgot about the shooting in front of Buckhead 4 months ago. Or the triple homicide in front of Old German Beer hall two years ago. Or the guy shot in the head in front of Have a Nice Day Care six years ago. (Funny, all on "safe" 3rd street)

Neal Steffek
10-02-2008, 03:50 PM
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/28692114.html
http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/28472264.html
http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/28452164.html
http://www.wisn.com/news/17491178/detail.html
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=799107

I'm insane, the news is insane, cops are insane, they've always had patty wagons parked in the median on water st on Saturday nights and shut down the street... right.

And my friends name actually is irrelevant. I'd prefer to get his permission before posting his name on the internet. This automatically will kill my creditability, and I'm ok with that. There's enough links up there which will elaborate on specifics.

Good job linking the same thing 5 times. Yea we had a stabbing, big deal. One incident in 15 months of being open as one of THE spots to be on Water Street I can deal with. Does it suck, sure it does, but there is nothing we could have done to prevent it. If we had done anything wrong we would have been shut down, but instead we are open every day as usual.

Adam Brooks
10-02-2008, 03:51 PM
thats exactly what everyone is saying, Sullivans, Gillys, Eve, tang, Soho blah blah blah blah all have crap that happens.

Adam Brooks
10-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Good job linking the same thing 5 times.
I'm new to copy and paste and the internet in general. english is also my 2nd language. ebonics is first

One incident in 15 months of being open as one of THE spots to be on Water Street

LOL how exclusive!

im out peace!

shoooo32
10-02-2008, 04:09 PM
hey Neal- How come all your posts have to do with water street/defending the bars you work at?

Neal Steffek
10-02-2008, 04:36 PM
hey Neal- How come all your posts have to do with water street/defending the bars you work at?

Trust me, there are some crap/ghetto bars on Water street. I will not in any way defend them all.

Berettaspeed
10-04-2008, 06:39 PM
just remember to drunk assholes sometimes being big measn a challenge for them as well. i know people like this. they try and start shit with the "toughest" looking person just because. yeah i know but these people do exist.

I also was thinking about bouncing, just cause you really dont work IMO. ha and fighting if it did happen is a great adreniline rush. most of the time fights happen cause the bouncer is a dikc, so as long as you avoid that your usually good. money is not that great from what i hear... maybe the places pay for shit though, but 9-11 an hr.

lordairgtar
10-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I would like to know why the shortest geekiest MFer in the bar wants to pick a fight with me?