PDA

View Full Version : Identify this Bad Ass Bug

Holeshot
09-29-2008, 10:30 PM
He flies bites like a son of a bitch. Flat Olive green and 2.5 inches long. :stare

Sorry the Pic is huge but Its necessary for the details.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5637&stc=1&d=1222745350

That_Guy
09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
squash the fucker..

SmokinRAM114
09-29-2008, 10:33 PM
dood wtf is that??? beotch is big if it bits and 2.5in long! :stare

Korndogg
09-29-2008, 10:40 PM
bah i know what it is but i cant think of it at the moment. There was one up north about 10 years ago and a couple months ago I finally found what it is. The one I saw was about 3-4 inches long and it was in the river up north. The thing grabbed something in the water and spun SUPER fast to disorient and kill whatever it caught while it was in the water.

EDIT: Found it!!! Its a form of Predacious diving beetle. http://bugguide.net/node/view/195/bgpage

Holeshot
09-29-2008, 10:54 PM
Figured it out

http://www.eduwebs.org/bugs/giant_water_bug.htm

awsomeears
09-29-2008, 11:27 PM
Although not really dangerous, the Giant Water Bug can give one a nasty bite. One person described the bite as very painful, causing the finger and whole hand to swell up dramatically, to the point where they lost all use of the hand,and remaining thus for about two weeks. If you are going to handle this insect, it should be done with care.

SloGtp01
09-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Holy Shits!! ITs Big Foot!!!!

HRSEPLA
09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
I vote dung beetle:)

Holeshot
09-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Im keeping him as a pet for when the cats don't listen...

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/ib/109/Insect%20rearing/giant%20water%20bug.html

Giant water bug (Lethocerus americanus)

The giant water bug is found at the bottom or in vegetation of shallow ponds and lakes. It collects aire by placing the tip of its abdomen at the surface. Devouring organisms as large as tadpoles, frogs, salamanders, crayfish, and fish, these bugs can be a nuisance to pond owners and especially to fish hatcheries. Their saliva contains an enzyme that helps them immobilize, kill, and digest prey. Their bit is painful, so they should be handled only with caution. Females lays eggs on the backs of males, who will carry them around and care for them until they hatch.

Availability: These need to be ordered and will be available after spring break.

Housing: They can be kept in a large jar, bucket, or aquarium with aged tap water that is at least two inches deep. Be sure to put a lid on the container because they can fly and you do not want to lose your project. Make sure you only have one per container, as they may eat each other otherwise. Put some plastic, or real, aquatic plants in the container for the adults to hold on to. You can add some stones or mud to anchor the plants down with. Change the water when it starts to become soiled, or cloudy.

Food: You can feed them living amphipods, brine shrimp, other aquatic insect larvae, or anything smaller than themselves.

Korndogg
09-30-2008, 03:25 PM
hm guess I was off. they do look close though.

GTSLOW
09-30-2008, 04:42 PM
I say feed korndogg to him.

shoooo32
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
Badass Bug???

http://www.hpamotorsports.com/galeries/beetle_1lap/images/beetle_1lap_finished%20(2).jpg

Silver86
09-30-2008, 06:02 PM
whered you find him?

2.5" you say... thats nothing, you should see the spider weve got under our deck... scares the shit outa me, but is so damn intriguing.

Korndogg
10-01-2008, 06:22 PM
whered you find him?

2.5" you say... thats nothing, you should see the spider weve got under our deck... scares the shit outa me, but is so damn intriguing.

pics!!! We have some huge ones too

HRSEPLA
10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Sam and I came out of store in Mukwonago the other night and there was a 5 inch long praying mantis on our tire, what the heck! I had no idea those were around here.
-Tina

lordairgtar
10-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Sam and I came out of store in Mukwonago the other night and there was a 5 inch long praying mantis on our tire, what the heck! I had no idea those were around here.
-Tina
Yeah, they are here. People buy them as a natural pest control and place them in their gardens if they choose not to use chemical pesticides. Obviousy your mantis didn't want to stay put. You should have collected him and placed him in your own garden or a terrerium.

HRSEPLA
10-02-2008, 03:08 PM
That would have been cool!
-Tina

Yeah, they are here. People buy them as a natural pest control and place them in their gardens if they choose not to use chemical pesticides. Obviousy your mantis didn't want to stay put. You should have collected him and placed him in your own garden or a terrerium.

Silver86
10-03-2008, 05:09 AM
pics!!! We have some huge ones too

not sure where it went... but its gone :(

Voodoo Chick
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
My husband found one of those "bad-ass" giant waterbugs recently, too....He said it looked really gross, and like it would be dangerous.