PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request

Fast95Stang
09-28-2008, 09:25 PM
Hello everybody,
I just wanted to pass this along to you so that you could keep my wife's family in your thoughts and prayers. Thanks! Greg

This is Lynn typing:
My dad just called me about an hour ago to tell us that my almost 18-year old nephew Tyelar was in a very serious car accident yesterday morning in New York State. Due to the hurricane going up the east coast, the weather in Upstate NY has been pretty bad. Stormy conditions (tons of rain and wind) are to blame for the accident. From what I got from my dad, the car spun out, went into a ditch, and hit a telephone pole which broke off and landed on top of the car. The driver's airbag deployed. My nephew was driving the car, with one passenger, his girlfriend. NO drugs or alcohol were involved, thank GOD!

The telephone pole landed on Tyelar's side of the car, crushing the top of the car down on top of him. His girlfriend only suffered some cuts on her hands. Tyelar however was not so lucky. He has significant spinal damage. He underwent a serious 4-hour surgery to fuse back together his C4 & C5 vertebrae. My dad said that if they had been severed, he would not have made it. He can move his shoulders and head, but was told not to move his head as that could do more nerve damage. Luckily they have not detected any neurological damage as of yet. He is in a deep drug induced coma. The nurses bring him out every six hours to check on him. He cannot talk right now because of all the machines hooked up to his head, mouth, and face. My dad said that he is not sure if Tyelar knows who people (ex. my dad) are at the hospital. However, he does know that he was in a serious accident because the EMTs called one of his friends and he was able to talk to them for a minute or two at the scene. He is scared out of his mind my dad said and fights every time they put him back under. He is in terrible pain.

Here's the kicker...My brother, his father had just moved to Georgia, leaving his job as an EMT on an ambulance squad. His crew was the first to respond to the accident. They called my brother immediately from the scene and he was on his way back to NY in a second. My dad met my brother at the hospital in Rochester last night.

I will keep you all updated as I hear more about his conditions and progress. Please pray for my nephew and the rest of his family. Again his name is Tyelar, my brother is Don. Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and prayers.

That_Guy
09-28-2008, 09:28 PM
i know what its like to have somebody put into this position..

i have no problem saying a prayer for your nephew and your family

nismodave
09-28-2008, 09:30 PM
My prayers go out to him and your family, Greg.

CPonyGo
09-28-2008, 09:33 PM
...and from my house to yours...I will say a word...take care

Smokey1226
09-28-2008, 09:44 PM
My prayers go out to him and your family. I wish i could rub his arm for good luck because after yesterday i know he'd be fine. Stay positive

Yooformula
09-28-2008, 09:49 PM
wow so sorry to read this. prayers are with him.

moels
09-28-2008, 09:50 PM
My prayers to all involved.

GRAMPS SS
09-28-2008, 09:58 PM
my prayers tonight will be for him and your family...may he have GODS speed in a full recovery...............

Reverend Cooper
09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
prayers are with you and yours
The Cooper's

STANMAN
09-29-2008, 12:06 AM
Praters sent.

Fast95Stang
09-29-2008, 09:36 PM
An update from Lynn:

Thank you everyone for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. I just wanted to give you all an update.
Not too much has changed since I last posted. I talked to my dad today and he told me that the doctors are concerned with some fluid retention in Tyelar's abdominal cavity. There could be some type of infection, however they are not sure. So tonight or early tomorrow morning they are going to do an exploratory surgery to find the problem and try to fix it while they are in there to avoid more pain and surgery. Tyelar is in the pediatric ICU seeing that he is only 17. The length of his stay there is unknown.
The nurses still bring him out of his coma every six hours for about 15-20 minutes to check his vitals and neurological responses. He does us his eyes to acknowledge people in the room. Tyelar is receiving approx 13 liters of fluid constantly through an IV. As of right now, he is parallized from the chest down, as he is only able to move his arms. Doctors think after recovery and therapy he will be parallized from the waist down...

Please continue your thoughts and prayers. The physical healing that Tyelar is going to go through is just the beginning of healing that he along with both parents are going to be going through. There is a lot of emotional and relationship healing that will also have to take place.

Thank you all again. I will be sending everyone's well wishes onto my brother in a few days. I want him to know that many people who do not know him are thinking about and praying for him and for his son Tyelar!

Smokey1226
09-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Please keep me updated, i prayed for him last night and DO NOT ever believe he will stay that way. Hard work will allow him to make one hell of a recovery.

They told me i would probably never walk again, you just gotta fight for it. pray and fight and PLEASE be there for him at any cost. In my experience that makes all of the pain worth it. Tell him you love him and keep his spirts high.

Holeshot
09-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Positive thoughts and prayers sent.

Fast95Stang
09-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Update from my wife Lynn:

Hello everyone! I just spoke with my dad again this afternoon.

Here is what I have from today's conversation he had with my brother.

It ended up that the doctors did not have to do an exploratory surgery of Tyelar's abdomen after all. Rather they performed a CAT scan and determined there was no longer a need for invasive surgery. As a result of the CAT scan they have adjusted Tye's medicines which has helped in stabilizing the fluid in the abdomen.

The doctors are going to perform a operation tonight or tomorrow morning to insert a filter on a main return artery to the heart. This will help filter out any blot clots that could reach the heart. This operation is required.

Today they inserted a feeding tube into Tyelar's nose. As a result they have been able to reduce the liquids they are pumping in through IV. This will continue as long as his body is acceptant of the feeding tube and new foods that are entering his body.

They are keeping his heavily sedated and medicated. They will continue to wean him off the fluid drips as long as the feeding tube works. Doctors are keeping Tyelar hooked up to the breathing machine and under the drug induced coma.

Some improvements to note are that Tyelar's blood pressure and white blood cell count have stabilized. Prior to today they had been fluctuating.

My brother is tired, as he continues to spend most of the day at the hospital with Tyelar. He has an almost 2 hour drive each way. My dad is planning a visit this weekend. I am going to do my best to get a care package sent to my dad to give to Don. I am going to do some baking tonight and get some gas cards for him. Please continue your thoughts, prayers, well wishes, etc! Don, Tyelar, my dad, and I really appreciate them! If you would like to help out in anyway please let me know! Thanks!

Until tomorrow,

Lynn

Fast95Stang
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
i know what its like to have somebody put into this position..

i have no problem saying a prayer for your nephew and your family

Thank you very much. With every update I post, I hope everyone knows that I am thanking each and every one of you. Please continue your thoughts and prayers!
Thanks! Lynn

Fast95Stang
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
My prayers go out to him and your family. I wish i could rub his arm for good luck because after yesterday i know he'd be fine. Stay positive

Thank you for your kind words. Tyelar is a fighter and I know that he had someone watching over him. I am thinking that my mother is his guardian angel looking down from heaven on him right now.

Thanks! Lynn

Fast95Stang
09-30-2008, 03:00 PM
my prayers tonight will be for him and your family...may he have GODS speed in a full recovery...............

Thanks Wayne! As long as things keep going in the right direction, he will have as close to a full recovery as possible. Keep praying!

Thanks!
Lynn

Fast95Stang
09-30-2008, 03:01 PM
prayers are with you and yours
The Cooper's

Thank you very much Mike, Vicki, and David! Every little bit helps!
Lynn

johnny--2k
09-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Wow. My prayers are definitely with you and your entire family. I have faith that he will be fine.

A good friend of mine was injured at RA on the 4th of July racing his Bike (CCS) and had to be air lifted to Neenah. He suffered massive brain injuries, and for the first few weeks they were unsure how he was going to recover, whether or not he would be paralyzed or if he would make it through the first few nights. As of the two nights ago, he is doing great. He was barely able to walk or talk for the first four weeks, and just the other night he got a day pass from the hospital he is at now, Mt Carmel I believe. I met him for dinner with another friend and his GF and he is doing AWESOME, and doctors are amazed at how quickly he is recovering. He seems just the same as he did before the accident.

It is amazing what the power of Prayer combined with todays medicine and technology can do!

Be strong for Tyler, and I'm sure he will make a full, and hopefully speedy recovery!

CATNHAT
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Prayers from our house to yours.

Slow Joe
09-30-2008, 09:48 PM
Lynn & Greg-

Mine and Kristie's (and the beagles) prayers are with you guys and him during this.

Fast95Stang
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello Everyone, this is Lynn.

Again I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes for my brother Don and his son Tyelar.

As of yesterday afternoon, Tyelar is showing signs of improvement, however with a little set-back. He has developed a small case of pneumonia. The doctors believe this was caused by Tyelar's inability to swallow or know that he needs to swallow because of the breathing tube (venerator) that is down his throat. He is receiving antibiotics for the pneumonia. They are planning on removing the breathing tube this weekend. I believe that they will keep him on oxygen, however that is unclear right now. Also on a positive note the procedure they did on Monday night to insert the filter in his artery went well. My dad said it is like a stint used in heart patients.
Thanks again everyone for everything you are doing for my family! I also want to thank all of you who have sent your kind gestures along to me for gas cards for my brothers. My dad suggested that we also get gift cards to a grocery store (Wegmans, in Rochester) where he can pick up food on his way to and from the hospital. If anyone is interested in helping us out with anything, please let me know.

I plan to make a trip to New York in November, before Thanksgiving. With my schedule I can't get there any sooner. Luckily plane tickets are not nearly as much as I had thought they would be.

Please continue everything you are doing to help us out! Prayers are being answered knowing that he is making progress. We also have to remember that once he is out of the coma, there will be more healing that has to take place. This healing is the emotional and relationship healing, also continuing the physical healing.

Thanks again everyone! My dad appreciates all your are doing, as I know my brother does too!

Until tomorrow (or tonight),

Lynn