PDA

View Full Version : ~ Car Audio Help ~ 93 Grand Voyager w/ infinity - Chaning to Alpine

awsomeears
09-24-2008, 07:30 PM
I have installed my fair share of Cd head units but not on a already special stock system, recently I picked up ( 4 months ago ) a sweet ass 93 Grand Voyager. It pretty much has everything but NOS :rolf

The stereo system for its time was kick ass, it has the 8 speaker infinity system. Well my head unit has no CD player ( Odd ) and I can't listen to the radio all day :durr

I picked up a 1.5 Din direct fit Alpine Cd player from a BCM member a month ago :thumbsup

I was talking with my brother " Car Guy " and he said that I may have to convert the speakers due to some of them having extra amps in them :stare or possibly have to purchase a specific harness.

My goal here is to have a nice sounding system, I have a simple 10" sub that is backed by a 200 watt amp. Nothing fancy just some base :thumbsup

Most likely I'm going to keep the stock tweeters ( Near windshield ) and upgrade the Drivers and Passengers. The gate in the back may also get some new speakers but we will see. I know with my Neon once you install a decent head unit the whole system sounds unreal for stock. So since my van is a Slo-Par :banana1: some of the speakers may work well with the new Alpine.

Can anyone offer me some thoughts on how to tackle the current Amped and Pre-Amped head unit and speakers ?

Go !!!

PureSound15
09-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Car Guy is on the right track with some of them being amplified AT The speaker. Although I'm not sure if the tweeter is at the windshield, I thought I remembered it being a 3 or 4" speaker right up by the dash. I could be wrong.

PM Philly-O - He's an installer at Project Two, I'm sure he'll know what the deal is. I, myself, have put a head unit in one of those before .... but I don't remember all what I had to do.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-24-2008, 08:18 PM
New speakers and all new wires to em is what I would do, surely there is an an adapter.
I had to use a crazy big box adapter to wire a new head into my Mark VII, the amp died recently and I ran all new wire, had to have some radio.

Russ Jerome
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
You have no choice, the factory "powerd" speakers use special Jedi
internal power and there Ohm rating is only visible to Yoda or a
Infinity engineer. The dark path will send you to your local retailer
for 4ohm or 8ohm standard speakers, I have wiring colors for your
vehicle if you dont buy the $7 overlay harness at Checkers.

Philly-O
09-25-2008, 12:06 AM
for now you can install the alpine and hook up the "power antenna" wire for the car's harness to the remote amp turn on wire of the alpine harness to turn the factory amp on. this will give you a working stereo, but unfortunately if you wanna replace any of the speakers you will have to bypass the factory infinity amp.

awsomeears
09-25-2008, 06:42 PM
for now you can install the alpine and hook up the "power antenna" wire for the car's harness to the remote amp turn on wire of the alpine harness to turn the factory amp on. this will give you a working stereo, but unfortunately if you wanna replace any of the speakers you will have to bypass the factory infinity amp.

Dam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you mean by pass you mean running new wires :stare

theavenger333
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Dam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you mean by pass you mean running new wires :stare

yes he does. i had to do it with my audi, stupid amped setups. although don't they make an adapter harness for domestics, specifiacally for the Infinity stereos? its got a billion wires, but they're all marked well, i tried one on that audi, but the goofy Japanese stereo in that old Kraut was quite confusing.

Car Guy
09-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I hate always being right, well 99% of the time that is......:durr

zerepdivad
09-25-2008, 10:57 PM
Should be just your standard cr02b chrysler harness regardless if it's infinity if i remember right. Have you went to best buy and tried the harness yet? i know i've done these before and we have the harness for them. I've never came across an infinity system that gave me problems with strictly just changing out a headunit..... Who knows maybe you have a freak but just go get the harness and see how it goes.