PDA

View Full Version : My new turbo tuning/technical site: PowerTunePlus.com

Syclone0044
09-22-2008, 05:07 PM
http://www.powertuneplus.com/images/powertune_header1.jpg

Since June 2007 I've been working on this: www.PowerTunePlus.com (http://www.powertuneplus.com) "Featuring original research." (I wrote this all from scratch, by hand, including the HTML and charts/illustrations.)

It's my website dedicated to explaining in easy-to-understand terms, how exactly to go about building a turbo street ride and actually getting it to run fast at the track. Nothing is more common than a ride that "should run xx" or "just needs a tune" or some other excuse why it doesn't perform the way it should. I explain how to find the weak links/bottlenecks and eliminate them.

I'm not selling anything and there's no advertising on my site. I'm just a DIY (Do It Yourself) average joe hot rodder working on a limited budget, who's had fantastic success over the last 7 years taking my 91 Syclone from 14.4 @ 93 MPH to a record setting 12.26 @ 108.6 on the stock turbo (with 93 octane fuel, full street trim, full weight) with only $1080 invested, and then ultimately with a DIY Vortec heads/cam conversion, it ran 11.45 @ 117.7 last fall. Still on a 14 year old, stock bottom end.

Come check out my site and you can read FULL DETAILS of how I did it, including a complete budget/parts list for every mod on the truck since I bought it! ($8600 complete including maximum effort $3500 transmission. Only $4450 in engine mods!)

I guarantee this site to be a GOLD MINE of tech info. Even though most of it is written for Syclone/Typhoons, the bulk of the information & advice would apply to ANY turbo engine. (Like the advice in Key Ingredients to a Fast Truck (http://www.powertuneplus.com/syclone/keyingredients.shtm).) If you're looking to go fast on a budget by doing the work yourself, it would be foolish to dismiss this site merely on the grounds of it not being specific to your car/platform.

Topics include:

* High octane, high boost tuning

* High stall torque converters, trade-offs, getting the correct balance between too tight/too loose, identifying when stall is too high through datalog RPM analysis, videos of my tach during a boost launch to demonstrate where my converter stalls, etc.

* Advice on selecting a realistic parts combo that YOU can actually finish & drive/race in your lifetime; correct camshaft & turbo selection, etc.

* Real World Tuning Example - I explain IN DETAIL with datalog snapshots, showing how I worked with a local Syclone owner one afternoon to tune his truck and make it fast.

I also have posted all of my best Racing Videos (some in High Quality versions).

A handful of local rides have already gone faster as a result of the information offered here, maybe yours will be next? :thumbsup

97z2801ss
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
wow looks nice
Lots of information to read, Ill pass the site to my sisters roomates bro he has a Sy.

tommyt5078
09-22-2008, 06:00 PM
Very nice man!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!! I sure hope for high 11 or low 12 in my ride for around $5,000, which isn't as good as yours but I'm not going to do the install either!!!!!

Nix
09-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Josh, you never cease to amaze me man. Also I'm just curious, are you using the borla muffler I sold to you about a year ago on the Cyclone? Or did it not work out so well?

Very,very,very nice work! :headbang

Syclone0044
09-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Something that really makes the site unique is my emphasis on first hand observation, examining the evidence, and critically analyzing data (whether it's your datalogs, gauge readings, video, etc.) Basically doing the physical and mental "work", yourself.

I don't believe in "appeals to authority (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_authority)". In other words, to me it's a mistake to buy something simply "because so-and-so big time (insert racer/shop/tuner "authority" here) runs the same thing and his car is fast." Or because he recommends a certain part or tries to sell it to you. Or because 10 people you know are all running the same part and it seems to work.

I'm convinced a superior alternative is to first do your own analysis and research (learn to understand how the system works), and then ask critical questions, FOR EXAMPLE:

* Is this part/mod going to give me a bigger gain in performance than any other item I could possibly purchase with that same money? (opportunity cost)
* What are the TRADE-OFFs I will have to accept when I install this part/mod, and will I be happy with the new compromise? (Doesn't there always seem to be "gotchas" when you install new parts and they aren't all that you thought they would be?)
* What makes the suggested part the best particular one for me to buy? What kind of results/performance/benefits would I get if I went 1 step smaller, or 1 step bigger than the recommendation? Are there any alternatives that nobody else has considered? Is there a way to get the same thing for cheaper, and put the extra cash towards something else that will make additional power?
* What do people who disagree with "the authority" think, and what are their reasons for the alternative conclusions?

My goal with this website is not only to provide all the "hot rodding answers" I have learned the hard way, but to SHOW you HOW I reached the conclusions I did, so that YOU can learn to draw your own conclusions of what is the best combination for your project (whatever it might be.)

Mr. Bigshot Racer/Tuner/Shop might have been drag racing for 30 years, won 20 championships, etc. So why wouldn't you automatically believe his recommendation is the "best"? Maybe he's good at drag cars but he might not know d!ck about setting up a street car with good driveability and responsive low end. Maybe he's sponsored by XYZ company and he won't recommend ABC company's products even in situations when he knows they are superior choices. Maybe he's got 1 "new old stock" part left on the shelf he's trying to get rid of, and you just happen to be the unlucky bloke who walked in at the right/wrong moment.

There's a million reasons why NOT to automatically trust perceived "authorities", but the bottom line is that NOBODY cares as much about YOUR ride as YOU DO, because YOU are the one who will be driving it and also the one who will have to be responsible for maintaining it and financing it!

BAD LS1
09-22-2008, 06:43 PM
This is a really cool site Josh! This is the guy that showed me the basics of the tuning world that i have applied to LSx tuning..

Syclone0044
09-23-2008, 12:23 AM
Josh, you never cease to amaze me man. Also I'm just curious, are you using the borla muffler I sold to you about a year ago on the Cyclone? Or did it not work out so well?

Very,very,very nice work! :headbang

Thanks Nick. I still have the muffler but unfortunately it's about 4 inches too long!! So I'm kind of holding on to it until I can figure out a way to make it work, either by sectioning/shortening it (way beyond my means but maybe I can find someone) or replacing an upstream/downstream pipe to make it fit.

Sprayaway Fox
09-23-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow! thats in depth. I like the "just because Mr so and so" part. If you do your own research it always pays off in the end. Without guys like yas we would all be running stock HP. Not a turbo guy, but website is intriuging.

That_Guy
09-23-2008, 12:40 AM
ill be talking to you in a few weeks im hooking up a smt-6 unit to my car so i can tune seeing how hpt 2.2l cobalts high and dry

Cryptic
09-23-2008, 08:41 AM
damn spammers

:goof

j/k... nice work on the documentation

Only $4450 in engine mods!
LOL some call that a new engine

forest
09-23-2008, 10:31 AM
great site!!!! I love the logical thinking and not being afraid to think "outside the box" Keep up the good info!!!!

Flicktitty
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Nice site, i've browsed around it before.

CannotPost
09-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Great work, good to see you are still rocking the truck!