PDA

View Full Version : Opinions/Advice ===> Wood Burning Stove.....

Car Guy
09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I was offered a wood burning stove for free and was wondering what the pros/cons are to having one. I have heard a LOT of good things about them as far as saving huge $$$ on heating bills but nobody brings up the negatives, if there are any. I have access to a constant supply of hardwood so that is NOT an issue for me what so ever. I have a perfect place to put one which is right next to the chimney in the basement. I live in a 1300 sq.ft. brick ranch home with natural gas forced air heating.....:flamet

If there's anything I need to disclose in order for you to better idea of my situation just let me know.....:thumbsup

lordairgtar
09-22-2008, 05:00 PM
If you live in Milwaukee, you can't use it.

CPonyGo
09-22-2008, 05:06 PM
ins regs as well.. I have one..had to unhook it for ins reasons

Max 93
might want to check with your insurance company

CPonyGo
you can't vent to the exsisting chimney either

Karps TA
09-22-2008, 05:42 PM
Hauling wood into your house when it's cold out. Bugs and crap in your house that are in the wood. The mess of ashes.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Clothes and home smelling like a campfire all the time.

Car Guy
09-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Well I figured the City of Milkwaukee (:flipoff2:) wouldn't allow it but that would only be if they knew about it :shades . However, the insurance thing I didn't think of and that might be the 'decider' for me. I was somewhat aware of the smell issue also but I have been in houses with wood burning stoves before and didn't think it was that pronounced if at all. I would keep the wood out in the shed so the 'bug' thing wouldn't BUG me, get it...??? :goof :rolf

I appreciate all of the feedback so far but keep it coming, still haven't made a final decision.....

twirkin50
09-22-2008, 07:09 PM
You home owners policy will be worthless if there is any damage to your home and they discover you have a wood burning furnace. Regardless if the damage was from the wood stove. This is what I was told from a co worker who is on the fire department.

awsomeears
09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
BUY NEW WINDOWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

problem solved :thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
I have a small pot belly stove in my basement next to my boiler, it gets the basement/boiler room very hot and thats about it, nobody knows about it. If thats true about me burning down my house with it and getting bent by my insurance company. -whew- I have not used it in about 5 years.
I do have a fireplace a floor above the pot belly stove in my living room so maybe I would be good as I am insured for that fireplace that I have not used in about 5 years also.
Potbelly and boiler on one flue and a the fireplace on another, it would be awesome to save a ton of money on heating a home.
I'm embarrassed to mention how low my thermostat is going to be this winter due to the cost of heat, we keep the boiler real low and just supplement the part of the house we use with a space heater.

Car Guy
09-22-2008, 07:36 PM
BUY NEW WINDOWS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Give me $3,000 and I will.....:devil

I do have a fireplace a floor above the pot belly stove in my living room so maybe I would be good as I am insured for that fireplace that I have not used in about 5 years also.

Hmmm, so what is the difference between a fireplace and a wood burning stove as far as insurance is concerned...??? If you think about it a fireplace has a better chance of starting a fire than a wood burning stove.....:durr

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 07:56 PM
Hmm, I do not know, but I do know that my Ins. Co. knows about the original fireplace in the living room, and we give them (AM-FAM) $313 a year to insure a house worth about $100g's

Its pretty dangerous, I have had the fireplace really cooking and some of the ember discharge is quite scary. Its easy to see why they had so many roof fires way back when folks burned wood and coal exclusively for heat.

Lash
09-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Give me $3,000 and I will.....:devil

Damn...thats it?

Thats pretty cheap....lol.

Car Guy
09-22-2008, 08:35 PM
That is doing them myself, otherwise I'd be looking at $7500 for the entire house......

Cryptic
09-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I have a fireplace insert. My insurance is aware. They didn't make any fuss about it (American Family).

Our basement level is finished off, The fireplace lets us get the heat down there up to 80 degrees in the dead of winter and its a huge room.

For a 1300 sq ft house, you wouldnt need a very big one. My dad has a big stove. You'll need to have a stainless steal chimney sleeve and a fireproof flooring and wall tile near the stove. Do not go to big or you'll be too HOT!

Sprayaway Fox
09-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Your insurance will definitley go up. They dont like them even in the garage.

fivonut
09-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Talk to your ins. What they don't like is any solid fuel type furnace as your PRIMARY heat source. It's OK to have it as your secondary heat source. It's not OK in the garage because people typically use them as primary heat sources. You could use one as a secondary in your garage but there's really no point. But, if your city won't allow it then your screwed, and I'd bet if your house burned down ins. wouldn't pay out because you broke the cities law.