PDA

View Full Version : thought 04 excursion v10?

hrsp
09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
so whats your opinion on this truck? 4x4 v10 with 60kmiles for 13k...

any known problems to look for? thanks

70challenger452
09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
so whats your opinion on this truck? 4x4 v10 with 60kmiles for 13k...

any known problems to look for? thanks

problems? the gas bill.:rolf

oh and it sucks to put spark plugs in.

Russ Jerome
09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
oh and it sucks to put spark plugs in.

Its not putting the new plugs in that sucks, its when the old
one breaks off in the head, or when one shoots out of the
head along with all the threads from the aluminum head.

Do a Google search on "triton head sucks" or " what the hell
was ford thinking". I've had to swap heads on campers for
families traveling out of state, while they sat in hotel rooms,
what I did on my summer vacation.

Top it off the motors dont have the power you would hope
a v-10 would have.

Russ Jerome
09-22-2008, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=perM62V-XZE
There are some great running videos on there as well.

Want_Notch
09-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Get a Diesel

88Nightmare
09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
Get a Diesel Silverado

:thumbsup

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Anything can break and nothing new is cheap or easy to fix.
For $5k less I would buy the gasser, course I don't need to blow black smoke all over the place or pull a stupid camper cross country.

Only Ford diesel to buy is a 7.3 which died in 02.

wrath
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Do some research on the engine. It's the only thing worse than a PowerStroke 6.0.

GRNDNL
09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
8 mpg on a good day.......:rolf

If you want a Excursion look for a 7.3...........;)

BAD LS1
09-22-2008, 03:11 PM
8 mpg on a good day.......:rolf

If you want a Excursion look for a 7.3...........;)

+1 My boss has an 01' Ex with a 7.3 PSD and it gets almost 20mpg and its only ate one tranny in 120K and the front end was wore the fuck out but all he uses it for now is towing a 32 foot camper.

07ROUSHSTG3
09-22-2008, 03:13 PM
look for a 7.3 but be prepared to pay a pretty penny for it. not may nice ones left anymore.

the v10 is a good motor, minus the spark plug issues some of the older ones had. other than that, i can't remember ever seeing one in the shop for anything else. the fuel economy sucks, but be serious, you are looking at an excursion, fuel economy isn;t a real issue.

as for getting a 6.0 excursion, the problem with that is, they are all slowly running out of warranty. we have some with less than 10K miles, but the warranty starting ticking in 05 and they only have 2 years left, it is a gamble. the low mileage ones have sat around somewhere forever, and the high mileage ones are beat to hell.

the excursion is an awesome vehicle though. roomy, tough, decent ride, and the super duty chassis is well proven.

and to windsors03, the 7.3 wasn't killed until 03, and that is a day that will never be forgotten, LOL!

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Ah ok, yea that was a good'en.
I still like the 6.8 and all its brethren, good engines IMO.

Breecher_7
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
I wouldnt buy it. Gas Hog...... Go Diesel.

DurtyKurty
09-22-2008, 05:59 PM
6.8 in a fox.....:drool:

fivonut
09-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Its not putting the new plugs in that sucks, its when the old
one breaks off in the head, or when one shoots out of the
head along with all the threads from the aluminum head.

Do a Google search on "triton head sucks" or " what the hell
was ford thinking". I've had to swap heads on campers for
families traveling out of state, while they sat in hotel rooms,
what I did on my summer vacation.

Top it off the motors dont have the power you would hope
a v-10 would have.

05+ don't have the spitting plugs problem, 99 - mid 01 did then they made some changes to the threads. If you properly change the plugs and torque them you won't have an issue.

In 05 they changed to the 3 valve head and countersunk spark plugs. It solved the spitting plug issue but now the countersunk shaft can break off in the head. Ford sells a tool to remove it. If you have one of these best advice is to change plugs every 50K max and use antisieze. Someone recently made a replacement plugs for these that are one piece instead of two pressed pieces. They are supposed to solve the breakage issue but are pricey, I wanna say $10 per plug.

As for mileage, you'll be lucky to get 15 tops. My 01 F350 V10 gets 11-12 average, empty. Best I've got was 13. I towed a small boat up to Minocqua for the 4th and got 10. For best mileage results stay up to date on ALL fluid changes. Other than that, these engines are well documented running into the 200K+ mileage range. OH, and as with any Ford modular, the COPs can be a PITA. Due to the gross weight of the trucks, you won't get a CEL when one starts missing. You need a good scanner or a lot of patience while you do the round robin with a good COP.

and these are they guys you want to talk to...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/

fivonut
09-23-2008, 01:20 AM
as for getting a 6.0 excursion, the problem with that is, they are all slowly running out of warranty. we have some with less than 10K miles, but the warranty starting ticking in 05 and they only have 2 years left, it is a gamble. the low mileage ones have sat around somewhere forever, and the high mileage ones are beat to hell.

Plus the 6.0 hasn't been known for the great MPG most diesels get. Most people are reporting no better than 16-17 hwy mileage and low teens towing. It's not much better than my V10 gets and gas is cheaper...

justatoy
09-23-2008, 05:17 AM
I have a 2000 Excursion and love it. Mileage is around 13 with mix driving. I have the V10 and the only problem is the exhaust manifold bolts break causing an exhaust leak. Power is nice as I pulled my car trailer loaded down to KC and averaged 13.4 mpg. If you have a family and want plenty of room its worth it. Just my thoughts as an owner.