PDA

View Full Version : Making a living grassroot style racing

Sprayaway Fox
09-22-2008, 02:10 AM
Can you make a living drag racing anymore? I know even big named guys used to run something like your average joe does but with their "tune" on it on a Saturday night but I heard its turning into a family thing like nascar is. Any truth? Grassroots and class racers what do you think?:confused No disrespect or anything just would like to know.

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-22-2008, 01:12 PM
LoL I doubt it, why would you want to be the poorest possible person ?

MoCkiN U
09-22-2008, 06:30 PM
My foster family is in this in the south. I'm 32 now and they have been going to the strip since I can remember in Charlotte. They traveled all over and raced as much as possible. I called my foster day just now and asked him and his answer was really simple. To be effective and win you have to invest a good amount of money and to be at that level for a set amount of time with a winning setup something is likely to go booooom which erases the profits from winning.

In his opinion it "could" be done in the south or the west where the weather is suitable larger parts in the year for running but in heavy winter places doesnt find it realistic.

The other challenge is the shop owners with bigger pockets are taking up space as you mentioned building in house teams with stout machines and pooling their money. My foster dad owns a transmission shop. That is his major income and the racing is his fun money. Basically they party and vacation on the winnings and bust their butt M-F to have the cash to put into fixing the machines they break on sunday

Sprayaway Fox
09-23-2008, 01:07 AM
I was watchn TV about how drag racing started out and how people started out. Was about how hayday teams started I think it was. Just got me if anybody around here does that yet. Was informational though. Thanx for the headsup on that.

70challenger
09-24-2008, 01:08 AM
i was at monster mopar last weekend and there was a guy that raced two dragsters by himslef in both super pro and quick 32 and thats all he does for a living. he said if he did good enough there he would have enough money to enter the million doller bracket race somewhere in the south. i'm pretty sure he runnered up in quick which is still $5000 i think and did well in super pro.

Syclone0044
09-24-2008, 07:36 PM
I always heard "If you want to make a small fortune drag racing, start out with a large fortune."

Todd Z
09-25-2008, 11:25 AM
I always heard "If you want to make a small fortune drag racing, start out with a large fortune."

As it goes "How do make a million in racing? Start with five million" Any kind of racing is VERY expensive and if you want to make a good living, sponsorship is the name of the game.

Alex d
10-28-2008, 11:34 AM
shawn langdon did it for a while. then lucas oil picked him up and is giving him like 40 some thousand doallers to race super comp all year round. last year he one the national championship. but he started getting help from local engine and chassis shops. then he travled to the big money races and did well. there was a really cool articale on him in hot rod i belive a few months back.