PDA

View Full Version : testing an injector....

88Nightmare
09-20-2008, 06:47 PM
how can I test an injector to make sure its opening and closing properly and flowing properly? is there a place that can do this for cheap?

Heat Seeker WS6
09-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Get ahold of Modmachz he does that stuff

88Nightmare
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
sweet, thanks john...

and btw.... the injector that I think is giving me trouble.... should I pull another one and have them both tested and compare?

Boost21
09-20-2008, 07:12 PM
sweet, thanks john...

and btw.... the injector that I think is giving me trouble.... should I pull another one and have them both tested and compare?
I would do that and if its easy enough just take them all in. If I remember correctly some places charge like 5-6 bux a injector. When I bought some just to make sure they wern't burnt up I just used a multimeter and tested the resistance through them all to make sure they all were the same.

Sleeper Sierra
09-20-2008, 07:32 PM
are these from your truck? if so I have a used set.

88Nightmare
09-20-2008, 08:36 PM
no, not from my truck. So I can do a resistance test on the injector and that could potentially tell me if its bad or not? What kind of resistance would a good injector have?

Trutildeathxxx
09-20-2008, 08:55 PM
i flow them at aer where i work with modmachz, its worth testing the whole set, its all about balance from injector to injector. you can test the injector electronically to make sure thats working with an ohm meter. if its electronically bad its junk, but if it ohms out fine and there is just a flow problem i can usually fix it. as long as the whole set ohms out within .2 they should be fine. 9 times out of ten the cleaning process i do will make them work like new

BadAzzGTA89
09-21-2008, 10:00 AM
no, not from my truck. So I can do a resistance test on the injector and that could potentially tell me if its bad or not? What kind of resistance would a good injector have?

All are diffrent let's say if it is 0 ohms that is a bad thing prolly stuck open!
i think around 14ohms ?

Boost21
09-21-2008, 10:19 AM
All are diffrent let's say if it is 0 ohms that is a bad thing prolly stuck open!
i think around 14ohms ?

0 ohms would be no resistance and from what I believe injectors are wired up weather they are open or closed there should be the same resistance. When I did mine all of them read 14 ohms. If it reads a terribly high number or 0 they are probibly no good, but best bet if you really want to get them checked is have someone test them. When they do that you get to know each injectors exact flow rate and can see if they are working and to their full potential.

Trutildeathxxx
09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
0 ohms would be no resistance and from what I believe injectors are wired up weather they are open or closed there should be the same resistance. When I did mine all of them read 14 ohms. If it reads a terribly high number or 0 they are probibly no good, but best bet if you really want to get them checked is have someone test them. When they do that you get to know each injectors exact flow rate and can see if they are working and to their full potential.

correct, if it reads 0 it is junk. right around 14 is a usual number or for a low resistance injector its usually between 2 and 4.

Russ Jerome
09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Ohming an inj only says the circut for the coil is not broken
or open. To electricaly test them you need to induce a load,
its called a buzz test. A simply actuation tester is available
from tools guys, point and shoot while operating, not much
different than holding your finger on it while running or using
a stethascope. The only way to flow test them is on a bench
with special equipment. You can use a heat gun on the suspect
cylinder and compare to the rest, then swap the inj and repeat.

Sleeper Sierra
09-21-2008, 10:13 PM
injector between 11 and 17 ohms is usually fine

88Nightmare
09-22-2008, 12:28 AM
well I dont need them flow tested or anything, they are on a stock vehicle. with the DTC code im getting, im getting a misfire on cylinder # 5, so after doing a tune up, if that doesnt fix it, im suspecting the injector is going bad. So thats why I was wondering if I can get it tested. A new injector is about 90 bucks for it.

Russ Jerome
09-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Swap the inj to another hole, rescan it when the CEL comes on and confirm.
Ohming it wont duplicate what happens during hot duty cycle under load.

88Nightmare
09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
its weird though, the problem comes and goes. it might do it right off the bat on an ice cold start, or it could do it when it gets hot. and if it starts doing it when its hot, it sometimes goes away too. tune up will be complete tonight so hopefully that fixes it.

DurtyKurty
09-22-2008, 03:55 PM

x2 :thumbsup

Z Speed
09-23-2008, 09:57 AM
thats what i did to find out if my injector was bad on my cavy... kept getting misfire on cyl 1 so after doing a complete tune up and it kept happening I swapped cyl 1 and 4 injectors and the misfire transfered too. turns out its resistance was low also

juicedimpss
09-23-2008, 10:13 AM

x3

sorry i didnt get back to you mike,i dont have what you were looking for.

88Nightmare
09-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Well, I ohm'd the injectors and they are all getting about 13.75 ohms. And they are all about equal. I think I might want to pull em out and get em flow tested/spray pattern tested if its cheap enough.

Russ Jerome
09-25-2008, 05:39 PM

X4 ^^^ what he said ^^^

Trutildeathxxx
09-25-2008, 07:39 PM
if you want to drop them off at the shop tuesday morning, i can get them done right away and you and get them tuesday afternoon. i can get you a price later tonight if interested. done usually hooks up bcm guys pretty good

88Nightmare
09-25-2008, 07:40 PM
where is the shop, whats it called? im definitely interested in a price. what kind of testing do you do? Just the buzz test or a spray pattern too?

Trutildeathxxx
09-25-2008, 08:33 PM
where is the shop, whats it called? im definitely interested in a price. what kind of testing do you do? Just the buzz test or a spray pattern too?

the shop is automotive engine rebuilders. 1604 arcadian ave. waukesha. coming from milwaukee, just take greenfield ave all the way out to waukesha. then a quarter mile past 164! as for a price, 180 for the entire set bcm price. its a buzz test, cc test, pattern test, ultra sonic cleaning, remanning the injector with new filters and orings. it will be good as new when done, very rarely they wont clean up. im gone til tuesday, but i can do them soon as i get back. call 2625212250

88Nightmare
09-25-2008, 09:01 PM
well what if they dont need to be rebuilt? I just want them tested to make sure they arent the cause of my problems... Can you just test em to make sure they arent junk?

Trutildeathxxx
09-25-2008, 09:56 PM
well what if they dont need to be rebuilt? I just want them tested to make sure they arent the cause of my problems... Can you just test em to make sure they arent junk?

yea, i can do that too. call the shop on tuesday and talk to donny, i wouldnt know a price off hand