PDA

View Full Version : Buying new windows...

67-400
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
So, i'm measuring up my windows this week/end and taking the measurements to go shopping next week. They'll have to be custom built windows, not going with standard replacements. Has anyone had experience with Menards or Home Depot windows?

jbiscuit
09-19-2008, 12:53 PM
I have Jeld-wen replacements thoughout my house, purchased from Menards. They are really nice. I have privacy glass in the bathroom. They slide up and down nice and are really nice windows. I spent about $185/window for my house.

CobraSnake
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
did we just have a window discussion like last week???

67-400
09-19-2008, 02:36 PM
did we just have a window discussion like last week???

nope

Windsors 03 Cobra
09-19-2008, 02:55 PM
We just ordered 2 for our kitchen from the home depot, I got Anderson 400 series I believe, wood frame wrapped inside and out in either vinyl or alum, cant remember. I do know the wrapping is white inside and out with white mutin bars in the top sash.
35"x54" were $500 each with a 3 week lead time, coming in next week.
We also got a new pre hung door from Jeld Wen that was an interesting retrofit, 32" door to replace a 33.5" door, needless to say the new door jamb is about half as deep as the 110 year door jamb it slid into. Going to require some creative trim inside, looks good outside and no more wind blowing thru the door jamb. :thumbsup
Tho I doubt the new door will last 110 years. :shades

I would not go for the jeld wen zap pacs. I have read bad reviews on them, the de-pot folks said it was the hot ticket for replacement windowds but factory assembled windows are probably much better.

CobraSnake
09-19-2008, 05:39 PM
nope

acutally I do recall we did. The search function is your friend. It was about window installers but I do recall alot of good window discussion as well.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30755&highlight=window

67-400
09-20-2008, 12:30 AM
acutally I do recall we did. The search function is your friend. It was about window installers but I do recall alot of good window discussion as well.

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30755&highlight=window

Who's WE? I'm not asking about window installers, i'm doing them myself. I saw a discussion the other day about other window related stuff that didn't pertain to questions I had. I'm asking about the quality of windows from Menards/Home Depot & the service that is accompanied by the purchase from them. Whats the issue? Nevermind, save it. Stick to the topic. :thumbsup

Nix
09-20-2008, 12:43 AM
Mikey, maybe I can be of some help when you do the project? :confused

If you need a hand let me know son.

Ps, I'm piss drunk... BUWHAHAHHAHAAHAHA

Adam Brooks
09-20-2008, 01:01 AM
I need new windows too, i was quoted 5 grand installed for 9 windows from some window company going door to door. that sounded a tad high to me

lordairgtar
09-20-2008, 08:02 AM
Hmmm, door to door window company? Probably driving a twenty year old van with outastate plates.

srt4eh
09-20-2008, 08:35 AM
I used to work in Millwork at Home Depot...very good product and the associates are all very knowledgable....my dad just bought a new back door from them and is very happy.

67-400
09-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I need new windows too, i was quoted 5 grand installed for 9 windows from some window company going door to door. that sounded a tad high to me

I had Weathertight come in & give us a big sales consultation on what they can do to save us money & provide efficient windows. Though the sales guy being very knowledgable & offering us an excellent product, the offer of $11,000 + to custom build & install 8 windows was a tad steep. You learn real fast how to put em in yourself when you hear that figure of 11k.