PDA

View Full Version : IT People - Epic Call log.

Poncho
09-18-2008, 09:22 AM
I know quite a few of us work in IT. I had a frantic front desk rep at a hotel thinking that rebooting some equipment would cause some Jurassic Park-like issues.

here is my call log:

FD called that guests were having issues getting online in the business center. Unfortunately she is scared to power cycle any of their equipment. I can't get her to locate and cycle the specific switches for the wired side, so I recommended cycling the rack, as they are for the wired and wireless. She was really worried that this would cause major problems. I advised her that it shouldn't cause any issues. She feels that it could be catastrophic like something out of Jurassic Park. I'm going to have her power it all down, and then power it back up after 5 minutes.

I advised her that nothing would happen, and that she shouldn't have to run across the compound to manually prime the grid or anything like that to restore power afterwards. If so, I will guide her in restoring power, one breaker at a time, in hopes to get systems back up, one by one, particularly the electric fences and DVR system. The last thing she wants is Velociraptors loose in the lobby demanding breakfast.

94greenbandit
09-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Non tech people crack me up because they think if you reboot something it is the end of the world and it will never be the same

ND4SPD
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Four words... The Website is down!

Mr. Brett
09-18-2008, 02:46 PM
I remember what it was like to work a help desk. Glad I have a real IT job now and don't have to deal with that bullshit.

Silver86
09-18-2008, 02:58 PM
reminds me of this...

http://www.break.com/index/it-guy-vs-dumb-employees.html

Poncho
09-18-2008, 03:10 PM
Four words... The Website is down!

yesterday was alot like that.

ND4SPD
09-18-2008, 03:46 PM
A lot of trying to play halo... with idiot end users interrupting you? I hate days like that. Yeah, Silver... that's what I was referring to. That video was just killing me, because while slightly exaggerated... we've all had to deal with stuff like that.

Undertaker
09-18-2008, 04:08 PM
I pushed out a new update to an in house app. Well we decided that it might not be a bad idea to change the icon so people know when the update arrived (we use SCCM so sometimes it takes a little bit for the install to run). So the director told me the application no longer works because the icon changed. I asked him to send me a screen shot. He did. He responded back and said "the application still works right, just the icon is different". He said "No, it doesn't work since the icon was changed". So one of the developers chimed in and said changing the icon has nothing to do with how the application runs. He told the developer that they will talk about this later.

pOrk
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
My internet is broked.

Poncho
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
A lot of trying to play halo... with idiot end users interrupting you? I hate days like that. Yeah, Silver... that's what I was referring to. That video was just killing me, because while slightly exaggerated... we've all had to deal with stuff like that.

it was more like I was working hard @ my cube listening to music reprogramming some equipment remotely, etc, and I check my e-mail and I have three tickets added to my already large work load, and worst of all they are from people in my own tier that just suck. then i get through all of that, and then my supervisor hits me w/ a important ticket and so forth. I ended up staying nearly an hour after shift end just to reprogram the equipment that I started to work on three hours prior. It took 3 hours to listen to "Butterflies and Hurricanes" by Muse.

That_Guy
09-18-2008, 04:18 PM
skype ftw

wrath
09-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I'm blessed that I don't have to deal with dumb people at my current job. My last job I had to deal with some dandys.