PDA

View Full Version : P0449 dtc

88Nightmare
09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
So I keep getting a constant P0449 diagnostic trouble code in my truck

2006 Silverado 1500 ex. cab short box, 5.3 liter engine code (Z) (non flex fuel)

The definition of this code is malfunction of the evap vent flapper valve/solenoid. Doesn't matter how many times I clear the code, it comes on at every ignition cycle. What needs to be done to fix this? How do I know if its the flapper valve or the solenoid that needs to be replaced? Where is this even located on my truck? I've talked to holeshot dan and ls1tom, and both insist this is a common problem with later model GM vehicles. I havent searched to see if there are any TSB's, but my vehicle is already out of warranty so I gotta fix it myself. Any help is appreciated :thumbsup

Car Guy
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Replace it.....

88Nightmare
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
which one, the flapper valve or the solenoid? that was my original question.....

oh... and where is it located on my vehicle.......

im new to all this emissions crap. I think I need to go back to my 80's suburbans and silverados :D

forest
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
its located on top the intake manifold towards the front of the engine, has a plastic hose coming from it. replace it or have a tuner "address" the issue, ask tom, he will know what Im talking about and probably do it for dirt.....

Sleeper Sierra
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
I've had a lot of problems with vent valves on theses trucks, it is located usually in the left rear fenderwell or near the tank. oh and the vin z is the flex fuel engine.

That_Guy
09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
if you replace it ill clear the code for ya.. lol..

88Nightmare
09-15-2008, 11:38 PM
I have a code reader and I can clear the code myself :D

So is my flapper valve near my intake manifold or is it near my gas tank? Im confused..... tom tells me there are two on these trucks, and the one im having issues with is the tank one. And I don't want to just make the issue "go away" by having the trouble code turned off with HP tuners. Granted I can have that done in a pinch if I need to pass emissions, but I'd like to get it fixed... I plan on keeping this truck for awhile

forest
09-16-2008, 12:06 AM
I have always had the issue with the one at the motor, so thats really the only one I know about dealing with, but there may be more to it.....

88Nightmare
09-16-2008, 12:16 AM
im confused about all this stuff. I really know squat about this emissions stuff, or even whats the point of it... just tryin to get the story straight so I can get it fixed right the first time.

juicedimpss
09-16-2008, 08:22 AM
im confused about all this stuff. I really know squat about this emissions stuff, or even whats the point of it... just tryin to get the story straight so I can get it fixed right the first time.

best set would be to take it to a professional shop and have it taken care of then......:thumbsup
you cant expect a complete evap system diagnosis over the internet mike.

A B4C Z
09-16-2008, 09:27 AM
I told Curt to have you replace the vent soilnoid.
Its located back by the tank. Its like 140 bucks i think it was when i looked it up. Theres a bulliten. NOT A RECALL. Just a common problem on these trucks/every gm car.

88Nightmare
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I'd like to be able to do it myself though and save a couple of bucks.

So you say replace the solenoid? Thats whats giving me the issues?