09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Major firms are going under. Not a good thing

Silver350
09-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Major firms are going under. Not a good thing

worse......Banks

Silver03SRT
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
The pain train is coming baby. Down over 4.5% right now. OUCH. Time for me to :alcoholic

Poncho
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
Yay, my companies stocks are up 3 cents! woot.

07ROUSHSTG3
09-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I feel like i am going to puke -504 OMG!!

looks like i better tack a few years on to my work plan. the real question is....................is this the bottom? i spoke to my investor last week friday and he assured me that things will get better, LOL! i imagine that his phone is ringing off the hook today. i moved most of my money a few months ago from high risk "playing the market" stocks to a dependable mutual fund. i cannot wait to see what they post tonight.

might be the time to play "buffet" and buy though??!?!?

Silver03SRT
09-15-2008, 05:23 PM

looks like i better tack a few years on to my work plan. the real question is....................is this the bottom? i spoke to my investor last week friday and he assured me that things will get better, LOL! i imagine that his phone is ringing off the hook today. i moved most of my money a few months ago from high risk "playing the market" stocks to a dependable mutual fund. i cannot wait to see what they post tonight.

I dont think this is the end.

Adam Brooks
09-15-2008, 06:23 PM

you are in the same position that a lot of americans are in. We are not at the bottom. You may want to take (you should) take serious look at how your portfolio is allocated. if your in mutual funds and your advisor is telling you to not worry about it, its just a correction, it'll go up, we're in it for the long haul blah blah then get a new advisor. There are 2100 retail mutual funds available and 17 have positive returns in the past 12mo and YTD. You need to limit your exposure to long positions across the board right now especially in financial and make sure your are hedged against losses.

I would ask you advisor what risk management you have in place for your portfolio, seriously. if he doesnt have a response or says the fund manager will worry about it etc, run.

here's the disclaimer. I am not a FINRA licensed advisor so i cant tell you what to do. But as a trader, you need to see how much you're down this year and what to do from here if you are a long term investor. there is no shame in exiting the market to the time being and taking cash position.

and what i do vs what they do are two totally different things, trading is not investing

Adam Brooks
09-15-2008, 06:24 PM
ps there's a reason these companies are going down.... they cant manage money, not even their own as we have seen. yet the manage an extraordinary amount of our wealth. Scary thought.

Karps TA
09-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Invest in titties and beer, and you're in the clear!

lordairgtar
09-15-2008, 06:32 PM
ps there's a reason these companies are going down.... they cant manage money, not even their own as we have seen. yet the manage an extraordinary amount of our wealth. Scary thought.
Might be true, but I think that buying up sub-prime mortgage notes is what did it.

lordairgtar
09-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Invest in titties and beer, and you're in the clear!
I have never come out ahead investing in titties and beer, well, at least not the titties. Those got me very light in the wallet, but the beer got me drunk, so I didn't care.:alcoholic

Syclone0044
09-15-2008, 10:00 PM
I read today that Lehman brothers (LEH) had their capital leveraged at 39 to 1.. unbelievable!!

07ROUSHSTG3
09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
you are in the same position that a lot of americans are in. We are not at the bottom. You may want to take (you should) take serious look at how your portfolio is allocated. if your in mutual funds and your advisor is telling you to not worry about it, its just a correction, it'll go up, we're in it for the long haul blah blah then get a new advisor. There are 2100 retail mutual funds available and 17 have positive returns in the past 12mo and YTD. You need to limit your exposure to long positions across the board right now especially in financial and make sure your are hedged against losses.

I would ask you advisor what risk management you have in place for your portfolio, seriously. if he doesnt have a response or says the fund manager will worry about it etc, run.

here's the disclaimer. I am not a FINRA licensed advisor so i cant tell you what to do. But as a trader, you need to see how much you're down this year and what to do from here if you are a long term investor. there is no shame in exiting the market to the time being and taking cash position.

and what i do vs what they do are two totally different things, trading is not investing

well i didn't do to bad yesterday. I am sure that the bond market helped. today will be the real test for me with the foreign markets. I am in a somewhat high risk range. I am young so I figure I can afford to gamble a bit. on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being crazy risky, I would say that I am somewhere around an 8. i am pretty well diversified in my funds. I have 98% of my money in American Funds which from what I have read and heard, they do pretty well in the long run.