PDA

View Full Version : Flat screen TV recomendation

flyin_blue_egg
09-14-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm looking at getting a new flat screen TV to put in my living room. I want to get something in the mid 30"-low 40" range, and in the $700-$900 range in price. what do you guys think??

Silver86
09-14-2008, 01:51 PM
stay away from the cheap brands(brands youve never heard of), they will only hurt you in the long run...

Mudd Runner
09-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Samsung ftw

ThatWhiteCivic
09-14-2008, 01:57 PM
samsung ftw

x2

That_Guy
09-14-2008, 02:28 PM
we have a lg and a Panasonic i like the lg's picture but they both look great

Adam Brooks
09-14-2008, 02:42 PM
panasonic is a great value

Reverend Cooper
09-14-2008, 02:42 PM
i love my phillips

kornholio788
09-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Vizios are great quality low priced tvs. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I plan on getting a 37 vizio one day when I can afford one.

flyin_blue_egg
09-14-2008, 02:47 PM
^^^my wife works at the customer service desk at wal-mart and she said they get a lot of the vizios returned

Silver86
09-14-2008, 03:04 PM
^^^my wife works at the customer service desk at wal-mart and she said they get a lot of the vizios returned

like i said in my post...

im not saying that the cheap brands wont give you good pictures or disappoint you.

03CVLX
09-14-2008, 05:35 PM
We had a Sylvania that died on us one week after the 1 year warranty ended. Sylvania customer service wouldn't help out at all. Neither would Circuit City.

Holeshot
09-14-2008, 06:00 PM
Samsung ftw

x2

X3 I have this set Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN46A650A1FXZA) but you wont find anything in your price range thats a quality set.

GTSLOW
09-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Re branded Panasonic here. 42" Plasma for 599 :D

turbogarrett
09-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Toshiba regza lcd's are great tv's for the $$. You also can find good deals on older models, or refurb'd units on ebay.

Breecher_7
09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Samsung here!

lordairgtar
09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
That's because Wal-Mart dictates cost to the manufacturer, so they skimp on the quality parts. The Vizio you get from Wal Mart is not the same as the one you get elsewhere. I bought a TV from Wally once and had to take it back. It was a Phillips but had a bad picture because the speaker magnets caused the picture to have distortion and a rosey-purpley color near the speaker area...no shielding. Never buy TVs from WalMart.

Mudd Runner
09-14-2008, 09:42 PM
X3 I have this set Samsung (http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=televisions&type=televisions&subtype=lcdtv&model_cd=LN46A650A1FXZA) but you wont find anything in your price range thats a quality set.

Not true the one i have was right around his $900 limit.

WilliamZ
09-14-2008, 09:46 PM
I have a 50" Vizio plasma and I have had it about a year and I like it so far, no issues. All tv's these days are pretty much junk and they do break. It doesn't matter if it's a Sony or some off-brand. I don't hear much about the Pioneers breaking often though. We sell a lot of Toshiba's and people love them and we haven't taken any back out for repair.

kornholio788
09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
That's because Wal-Mart dictates cost to the manufacturer, so they skimp on the quality parts. The Vizio you get from Wal Mart is not the same as the one you get elsewhere. I bought a TV from Wally once and had to take it back. It was a Phillips but had a bad picture because the speaker magnets caused the picture to have distortion and a rosey-purpley color near the speaker area...no shielding. Never buy TVs from WalMart.

Umm. Vizio tvs come from the same place. Vizio. Samsung come from the same place too. Samsung. They all come from one place. Walmart isn't making these tvs in their backyard and selling them renamed.

That_Guy
09-14-2008, 11:13 PM
Umm. Vizio tvs come from the same place. Vizio. Samsung come from the same place too. Samsung. They all come from one place. Walmart isn't making these tvs in their backyard and selling them renamed.

true... there is a huge difference between a product you buy from walmart and a product you buy from best buy..

hence the serial number... it may look the same on the outside but on the inside.. there maybe different components or less functions... they cut cost in the manufacturing process someplace to make up for being screwed by walmart for shelf space.

badass88gt
09-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Panasonic plasma here. I love it.

CobraSnake
09-15-2008, 03:27 PM
true... there is a huge difference between a product you buy from walmart and a product you buy from best buy..

hence the serial number... it may look the same on the outside but on the inside.. there maybe different components or less functions... they cut cost in the manufacturing process someplace to make up for being screwed by walmart for shelf space.

This is very true. Most people don't know. They say "hey I saw the same TV at Sam's club for waaaay cheaper" Well that is slightly true because it is the same brand but no nessarily the same TV. I know for a fact that all the TV's that Sam's Club sells are re-furbished(Returned broken tv's that the company fixed and are re-selling).

Mark

lordairgtar
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Not quite what I said. I said Wal Mart dictates to a company what they will pay and how many they will buy...so, the TVs you buy at Wal Mart will have lower quality components. Wal Mart does not manufacture anything on their own, but they will dictate to companies what they will buy. Cobrasnake is correct. Compare part numbers as well as the serial. They will be a bit off.

WilliamZ
09-15-2008, 07:58 PM
This is very true. Most people don't know. They say "hey I saw the same TV at Sam's club for waaaay cheaper" Well that is slightly true because it is the same brand but no nessarily the same TV. I know for a fact that all the TV's that Sam's Club sells are re-furbished(Returned broken tv's that the company fixed and are re-selling).

Mark

If it's the same name and model number it is the same TV. They don't have different guts inside per what store they are sold at.

Where are your facts that Sams only sells refurbished tv's?? I'd like to see your proof on that.

What sucks about Vizios is that if it does break the parts are hard to come by.

Crawlin
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I liked my 50" Pioneer, but that was a little higher than what you are looking for.

The Samsung in your price range I think is a great TV. I was undecided between the Samsung and Panasonic when I was buying mine. In the end I just decided to go bigger and bought the Pioneer.

Although, I will say, I have my 96" screen and projector combined for under $900 :) I built my own screen. Can ask anyone who's seen it, ******* awesome :) And this is in a 12'-12' 2nd bedroom

Slow Joe
09-15-2008, 10:16 PM
We have two Sony 32" TVs, both were under $700, have excellent pictures, and thus far have been good (one is approaching a year old)...

GinoRin
09-15-2008, 11:14 PM
all this talk reminds me of an old SNL skit... SONY GUTS!! :thumbsup

Mr. Brett
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Samsung.

shoooo32
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Vizios are great quality low priced tvs. I have heard nothing but good things about them. I plan on getting a 37 vizio one day when I can afford one.

vizio ftw! I bought the 37" at sam's club a little over a year ago. Awesome tv. I like it alot more then the 32" westinghouse I bought on woot. The color seems brighter on the vizio.

73Dustr
09-16-2008, 05:36 PM
vizio ftw! I bought the 37" at sam's club a little over a year ago. Awesome tv. I like it alot more then the 32" westinghouse I bought on woot. The color seems brighter on the vizio.

x2. We have two of them. You can't beat them for the price.

CobraSnake
09-16-2008, 05:54 PM
If it's the same name and model number it is the same TV. They don't have different guts inside per what store they are sold at.

Where are your facts that Sams only sells refurbished tv's?? I'd like to see your proof on that.

What sucks about Vizios is that if it does break the parts are hard to come by.

I used to go there to look at TV's and was told that by multiple employee's. So no I don't have paper proof, just hearsay. Plus when they send a TV back to get refurbished it isn't the same serial number anymore. It is essentially the same TV but it was broken now its not. Which bothers me because if it broke before it could do it again.

Mark

Slow Joe
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
I used to go there to look at TV's and was told that by multiple employee's. So no I don't have paper proof, just hearsay. Plus when they send a TV back to get refurbished it isn't the same serial number anymore. It is essentially the same TV but it was broken now its not. Which bothers me because if it broke before it could do it again.

Mark

All of Sam's TVs are sold with 1 year mfg warranties, where refurb TVs only have 90 days...

Plus if a retailer the size of Walmart or Sams Club was selling Refurb TVs you would know, do you really think they would be able to keep that out of the papers and off the news if they didn't advertise it, let alone being able to find it in a Google search...